Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I enjoy the classes too. But you don't pay for classes, you just join them. I simply crash spinning classes and bodypump. No extra fee.

But I "pay" when I have to get lone time with a trainer
Very good point. If you are going to pay..you should go with the best. And the best don't let themselves go out of shape if they are good personal trainers educated in diet AND exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
I enjoy the classes too. But you don't pay for classes, you just join them. I simply crash spinning classes and bodypump. No extra fee.

But I "pay" when I have to get lone time with a trainer.
Obviously you don't need a personal trainer - you seem to be very self-motivated.

Yes, trainers cost $$$. I forsee a time when I don't meet with that trainer once a week - simply take the classes. Unfortunately, the classes cost too but the gym is small and so close to my house - I just love it.

I have to give her credit though - she has gotten me started into classes I enjoy (and was too terrified just to walk in on my own); and she's very motivational.

I've got a few years on you AC and need the extra help. Kudos to those who don't.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Being that you're such a proponent of certification/education for PTs, I assume you are certified or have some sort of excercise science/nutrition degree to back up the bolded claim?
That question doesn't even apply here. This is a forum and that is my opinion on the matter. It is completely different than an uncertified trainer giving people advice and collecting money for it. If I was a professional, then I should be certified to make such a statement.

If everyone on a forum has to be certified in order to give their opinion on any subject, this forum would be dead. See the difference?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
We have good trainers and crappy trainers at the gym I go to. On the one hand there is a guy who is super organized, not chatty and appears to kick the booties of his clients. On the other hand there are two women who do little but chat with their clients as the clients lift 5-8 lb. dumbbells repeatedly. I can't understand why anyone would pay another person to tell them to do biceps curls with a 5 lb. weight.

Anyway, trainers are like every other service professional out there and it pays to observe and shop around.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Actually I have had a few. And since I wasn't fat during that time and could get done what they told me to, they really never said squat about how I ate.
I was a high school AND college athlete and almost ALL my coaches discussed nutrition and hydration and SLEEP...and we weren't fat.
They even discussed our grades and personal life. Why? All GOOD coaches know that what happens off the field can be the biggest factor of what happens on the field.
And that your whole life affects your health and performance.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We have good trainers and crappy trainers at the gym I go to. On the one hand there is a guy who is super organized, not chatty and appears to kick the booties of his clients. On the other hand there are two women who do little but chat with their clients as the clients lift 5-8 lb. dumbbells repeatedly. I can't understand why anyone would pay another person to tell them to do biceps curls with a 5 lb. weight.

Anyway, trainers are like every other service professional out there and it pays to observe and shop around.
Good point. These folks don't understand that they are being "observed" and their methodology in itself is very transparent and serves as a good/bad advertising aspect.

Unfortunately, those who hire them are "newbies".

My ex-boss, she was super cute. Woman in her late 30s. One weird thing in the Mid-West, they have a habit of putting younger people in higher positions, largely unheard of in the East Coast, especially in finance/banking. But she has one of the craziest and widest butts I had ever seen. Two men can get headbutt each side and sustain skull injuries

She hired a trainer and often says, "Oh my body hurts, my trainer kicked my butt".

I see her on photobucket and such and her booty is still the same.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
...If everyone on a forum has to be certified in order to give their opinion on any subject, this forum would be dead. See the difference?

Of course I see the difference.

Surely you can see the irony that in a single post, you lament unqualified people offering out excercise advice and then you proceed to do the exact same thing you're complaining about. I understand you're not charging for the service, but it was still amusing to me.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:

She hired a trainer and often says, "Oh my body hurts, my trainer kicked my butt".

I see her on photobucket and such and her booty is still the same.
This is probably her natural shape.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is probably her natural shape.
That much flesh on the bum cheeks is caused only by weight gain. No way it's her natural self. We're talking two massive globes, imagine that.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,328 times
OP

Trainers are scamming the uninformed. A good trainer should teach you principles not methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness