Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Returned from the gym this am. Sunday morning and the scene of trainers working with the heavier clients is really, really eye catching. I mean, they are making them do exercises which they are clearly not built for, or maybe they know something, they are trainers. But hey, how does an obese man or woman drop the poundage with the 10 session program that is bought as a package.

Are these people deluded that 10 sessions will make them lose weight? Or maybe it's more. Anyway, the scene reminded me of a farmer using a cow to plough his field. Splendid similarities

So, instead of setting them up on some sweat-generating exercises, they are made to do some routines. And I'm seeing them for the last few months, I don't see any difference in their sizes. Do these trainers even tell them they need a lot of cardio, diet change and such, or are they just interested in the monthly trainer's payment

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 01-15-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I see the same thing at my gym, trainers making people go through crazy CrossFit inspired routines that will either make them hate working out or make them injured. Instead of teaching them 4-5 basic lifts and helping them perfect these lifts, these trainers are trying to make working out seem complicated. I cringe whenever I see what some of the trainers are spouting off and trying to teach their clients.

Just teaching a client to do some sort of squat, a plank and a press will help them more than anything else.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Yeah I do think it's kind of a scam. Same with the weight-loss shakes that I think are a gold mine for the companies that sell them. The other day I was at the store standing in line, and there was this overweight person buying a bunch of 'weigh loss' chocolate shakes.

I am very cheap, perhaps to a fault, and never paid a trainer over the years. If I did, it would have to be someone with superior knowledge of physiology who could get me to a level that I couldn't reach myself due to my lack of knowledge. I can lose weight without a trainer. Just eat less food.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Weight loss shakes are generally meal replacements. Just enough calories and nutrients to constitute a meal, but replaces what would otherwise be a full-on fat gain fest for some. They do work, they are by no means meant to be taken with a normal meal (you knew that).

Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I think trainers are good for helping someone get started on a fitness routine. Taking someone who is nervous about doing classes (me) and leading them through some routines - getting familiar with the equipment ~ then easing me into classes that are right for me. I was 'class phobic' but tired of working out alone, at home all the time.

Thats where I think a trainer can be really helpful. I'm not sure about working with a super obese person ~ unless they are doing some nutrition counseling as well?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Maybe you are just seing bad trainers. Or poorly educated clients.

There are lots of reasons people decide to get a trainer:
1. to learn how to use the gym
2. to learn new exercises
3. to learn new routines
4. un-stall their progress
5. motivation and accountability

I did a few sessions with a trainer with a short agenda
1. Learn more about a new technique
2. learn more about free weights

After my 5 sessions, I was successful. I learned a couple of lifts, a couple of new routines, and proper technique on the rowing team. So in my book it was money well spent.

One gym I joined required all new members to go to group training classes. The classes focused on developing a strength routine and learning to use the machines. This is a good use of time.

No matter how many raining sessions you have, the most important thing is what happens outside of the training sessions. If you see a trainer once a week, then you still need fit in a few more sessions of exercise in between sessions, and not everyone is able to get that part in.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
This is slightly OT but since we are talking about trainers . . .

I know some of the swim team kids have their own personal trainers (not swim coaching). Would this just be mainly for strengthening purposes? So far, my son has no interest, but he is extremely slight and his HS coach would like to see him do more weightlifting and have a bit more muscle. He definitely does NOT need cardio.

I'm thinking a PT could help him with this? Or would it have to be a specialized - athlete/swimmer/PT?? I'm thinking just a PT that works with athletes period. But I'm not sure!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
big difference between strength coach and personal trainer.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
The trainers at my gym are really good. I usually hire one of them every six months or so to get new moves and motivation. I also watch them work out with other clients and I have never seen them do something that was beyond their clients ability. It is so important not to scare off a client with the first workout.
Most of the obese clients I see last for a few sessions and then I never see them again. One woman however has been with one trainer for a long time and she has dropped at lot of weight and is really looking good.
I think it depends on the quality and integrity of the gym you use. If it is just a money mill chances are the trainers may not be all that great with questionable credentials. Also if you hire a trainer and they do not take a decent amount for time interviewing you about what you want to get out of it and your concerns and just pushes their agenda on you then you need to find a new trainer.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
The problem is that it's like a waiter situation. Restaurant pays the waiter little to nothing so he collects most of his pay in tips.

Gyms pay them a salary. But I found out it's performance based. The number of classes they are able to give and the number of clients they get, they get more money and that has converted them into salespeople rather than teachers.

The trainers are also very aggressive in getting you to sign up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness