Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is my story. Sorry it is long, I'm new to this whole jogging thing and have a few questions.

I'm trying to lose some weight, and I own a treadmill, so I decided to put 2 and 2 together and lose a few pounds. I don't want to overdo it and hurt my knees or feet (since I'm about 90 pounds overweight), so I'm doing the extended couch to 5k program, the one that increases your run/walk ratio over like a 7 month period. That way, hopefully, by the time I get to the point I'm running a mile, I'll be down some pounds. Other than being overweight, I am very healthy. I've only been overweight for the last 8 or 9 years, since my previous job involved a ton of walking, but my current job has been very sedentary. I've mixed in a variety of cardio exercise over my 33 years, including swimming, biking, racquetball, roller blading, & walking, but I've never done a running routine before.

Currently, out of a 40 minute jog/walk, I'm doing this: 28 minutes of walking mixed with 12 minutes of jogging. Since it is a 40 minute workout, I run for 36 seconds every 2 minutes. My knees can handle that on a treadmill 3 times a week. I've got good shoes and have been going for several weeks now without problem. I'm a bit sore the next day, but it isn't bad, and goes away quickly.

The program has you add 2 minutes of running instead of walking about every 2 weeks. So in 2 weeks, I will increase to jogging 42 seconds every 2 minutes. It is a slow, but steady increase. I've already increased my distance covered (in the same time) by a quarter of a mile since I started, which I'm very happy about. My current best is 2.45 miles in 48 minutes (my treadmill counts the distance covered in warmup and cooldown too, but only about .05 of a mile or so is covered in each). Seeing that number increase each workout is probably my biggest motivator. It is an easily measured result.

Here's my question. I was thinking that once I get to the point that I am 20 minutes of jogging/20 of walking, keeping on as I'm going, I'll be jogging for 1 minute, walking for one minute, etc. At that point, would I be better off to hold it at a 50/50 ratio and build my jog times up to like a 2 jog/2 walk, or just go for shorter and shorter walk times? So longer runs vs shorter walks? It seems like if I keep going, eventually, I'm going to reach the point that I'm jogging for 114 seconds and walking for 6 seconds, and that doesn't seem very productive, plus then the next step would be to jump straight to a 40 minute run with no breaks, which is an unrealistic jump. Seems like it would be better to work on adding minutes with less frequent, but still long enough to recover, walks (how long should be "long enough to recover"?). Then when I get to a 75/25 ratio, which would be at running 3 minutes, walking 1, I could work on increasing run time to 6 minutes, with walking 2. I'd only have 5 cycles of that at that point, so I could just work on increasing my run time from there.

So I'm thinking build my running duration while keeping between a 1 minute and 2 minute recovery time each cycle. Does that sound like I have the right idea? Or would you suggest a different method of building time? My ultimate goal is to take the weight off, but my treadmill goal is to be able to jog 3 straight miles in 40 minutes, which I could do in college, but not since. I figure I can get there by July, at which time I hope to also be down at least 30 pounds (that's only a little over a pound a week).

I also assume I should focus on duration, stamina, and not injuring myself over speed for now. I've been just holding at 3 mph (according to my treadmill, anyway) for walking, which is a fast walk, but not speedwalk for me, and at 4 mph for jogging, which is a slow jog. I can speedwalk at 4 mph, so if my knees hurt one day, I can walk instead of run for lower impact that day without sacrificing much on the workout. (My sister tried mine one day, and she tells me that 3 mph on my treadmill is closer to 4mph on the treadmill she uses at the gym, so I don't know how accurate they are, but I figure consistancy is more important than accuracy on that front.) To meet my goal of 3 miles in 40 minutes, I'll have to increase to a 4.5 mph pace, but I figure I can do that once I can run 40 minutes straight. 4.5 isn't that much different than 4.0.

Oh, one other question. I don't currently have access to a different form of non-impact exercise, like swimming or biking, as it is January in Boise, Idaho and hovering around freezing every day. Would it be overdoing it to walk 3 times a week on off days for 30 minutes just to burn some extra calories?

Those of you who are overweight and have already gone through the learning to run process, I would love your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM

160 posts, read 335,192 times
Sounds like you have a good plan going. Stick with steadily increasing your jogging and decreasing your walking like you have planned out. Once you reach running for 40 minutes straight stick there for a few weeks then start increasing your time one point at a time( 4.1,4.2,4.3 and so on) for two weeks each increment.

For extra cardio you could jump rope and you should also incorporate some strength training as well. Squats, lunges, crunches will also help you with your running. You want to strengthen your legs and core to help you run further and faster.

I personally run 3to 5 miles pr day at 5.5 to 6 mph. It just takes time, but you will get there, the key is to be patient and not to push to hard to fast. Your plan sounds perfect considering your weight, keep up the good work. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Oh, one other question. I don't currently have access to a different form of non-impact exercise, like swimming or biking, as it is January in Boise, Idaho and hovering around freezing every day. Would it be overdoing it to walk 3 times a week on off days for 30 minutes just to burn some extra calories?
I still get out and exercise when it's close to freezing. In fact I only do cardio outside all year round. I wear a couple of layers of coldgear underarmour and walk or bike. I read somewhere recently you burn more exercising in cold weather.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 AM

200 posts, read 565,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytibby View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan going. Stick with steadily increasing your jogging and decreasing your walking like you have planned out. Once you reach running for 40 minutes straight stick there for a few weeks then start increasing your time one point at a time( 4.1,4.2,4.3 and so on) for two weeks each increment.

For extra cardio you could jump rope and you should also incorporate some strength training as well. Squats, lunges, crunches will also help you with your running. You want to strengthen your legs and core to help you run further and faster.

I personally run 3to 5 miles pr day at 5.5 to 6 mph. It just takes time, but you will get there, the key is to be patient and not to push to hard to fast. Your plan sounds perfect considering your weight, keep up the good work. Keep us posted on your progress.
^^^^I concur!

I have been trying to learn how to run I have been off and on working on it since august, and I am now up to steady jogging 3 miles in 30 minutes. So it has taken me a while!

I wanted to especially agree with rockytibby about jumping rope! With a little internet research I learned that jumping rope is a good safe way to exercise. Athletes with injuries will jump rope while they recover because of the low impact it has on their joints. A jump rope is also fairly inexpensive. They range from $2 to $20. I try to jump rope on my off days from running. It is hard! I have been doing it for about a month, and I still can't consistently jump rope for more than 2 minutes without tripping over the rope (but I think it is my technique...). However, I just keep going after I miss step and try to do it for 15-20 min. Also, I do it in my garage, so weather isn’t an excuse for me.

Good luck!!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Thank you all for the responses. I actually think I own a jump rope...somewhere... I'll have to see if I can dig it out.

I'm sure you do burn more calories working out in cold weather but I have two problems. One, I'm a wuss, and not afraid to admit it. I don't like being outside in the cold for more than a few minutes, so I know I'm not going to go if I have to go outside. But two, I work 5 days a week. This time of year, it is just barely light when I go in and just barely light when I go home. I have maybe 30 minutes of light before and after work. So I could go outside during daylight hours 2 days a week on my days off. I'm definitely not going out in the cold AND the dark.

As for the strength training, my husband has a sort of bowflex type machine (only nicer) that I've never used. I'll have to have him show me how to use it and use that on my off days. Good thought. I hadn't thought about the fact that stronger legs would help with running.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM

160 posts, read 335,192 times
The machine your husband has probably, I'm assuming uses bands. Those are excellent for beginners, start using his machine and you will be surprised at how fast you improve your running. Not to mention the more strength training you do the more you crave, it's very addicting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness