Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times

Advertisements

Someone in the Health forum suggested that I strengthen my "quads" to help with a problem I've been having with my knees popping (I'm in my mid '50s.)

So, what's a good exercise for quads that doesn't involve joining a gym (I live in a very rural area - I think the nearest gym is an hour and a half away) or spending big money on equipment?

Specific advice re specific exercises or websites or books would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
It was me who suggested it. I am 50 and I used to have problems with my knees. They didn't pop, but I had pain in them. Once I started exercising and building up strength in my legs the pain went away. Virtually disappeared. Start off with walking and try to walk up hills. You can do squats and lunges anywhere and they will really get your legs in shape. You can later add weight to those.
Ice your knee when it bothers you.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
I've had a few knee problems
1, pooping or a catch, patella injury.
2. pooping and grinding, Meniscus tear
3&4 acl & pcl reconstruction surgery's.

If it's popping and you feel pain see your orthopedic Doc before you work out, you could further injurer your knee.

sit in a chair, and do leg lifts.
Knee bent, now straighten it and hold for a 3-5 count relax and or add a ankle weight if there is not enough resistance, if it starts to pop use less weight or stop working it. A stationary bike is also a good low impact work out for your knee.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,060 times
I have the same problem with knee pain and exercise.
I don't have an issue with any popping in my knees, but I do have significant soreness. Squats leave me unable to walk well the next day and I have to go terribly slow doing lunges. They can easily twist the wrong way due to injuries. I am going to try the leg raises. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,029 times
Sqauts and lunges - with and without weights. I also like doing wall squats. Just get into a squat position and lean against the wall. Start with 20 second intervals and increase.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
My doctor suggested balance exercises which will stabilize the muscles all around your knees. Even something like standing on one leg for 30 seconds can be helpful.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
The best exercises are ones that allow you to do one leg at a time, allow you to increase resistance by adding weight and involve some degree of balance. Step-ups on a box are one of the best. Start off with no weight and step up on a box. Use dumbells to gradually increase the weight. You can also use a larger or higher box. Here are instructions. Exercise 101: Step-Up Using Free Weights

Another exercise is the single leg split squat. See this tutorial for this and otehr exercises. Dumbbell Single Leg Split Squat

Since you don't have access to a gym, I recommend starting with some light dumbells and buying more as you get stronger.

Someone mentioned soreness from doing squats. That is to be expected. I get extremely sore if I go more than 6 days between squats. It just shows they are one of the best exercises you can do.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,027 times
Stretch, foam roll.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,328 times
Highly unlikely that your quads are the weak point causing you pain.

I would work on strengthening and loosening all the muscles in the legs and the hips. Your problem could be hip flexors, hamstrings, calves, thigh adductors, hip rotators etc. etc.

squats, lunges, step ups for quads
glute ham raise for hams
toe and ankle raises for the muscles below the knees
piriformis stretch
IT band stretch
hip flexor stretch
hamstring stretch
thigh adductor stretch etc.

You'll be able to locate exactly where your pain is coming from.

Have you completely ruled out issues with the knee itself?

I wouldn't try pushing it too much if it is in fact a joint issue

Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,214,996 times
Try these links:

Quadriceps Exercises For Bad Knees | LIVESTRONG.COM

Quadricep Exercises & Quadricep Workouts

Bodybuilding.com - Quads: Exercises, Anatomy And Tips!

Or google quad exercises for bad knees.

I've got this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Knees-Responsiveness/dp/0897934229/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329918058&sr=1-1

The author errs on the side of safety for obvious reasons. He has few exercises but puts together a simple program that might or might not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness