U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 2,709,652 times

Advertisements

If you've taken supplements before, how have your supplementation changed over time, and what have been the cause for it?

I personally went out pretty hard too all kinds of stuff, from pwos, to plain creatine, to gainers, heavy gainers, drinking protein powders multiple times/day, together with overdosed vitamins, and performance enhancers...

Now I'm down to a light vitamin supplement, omega-3 and occasional whey-protein(which will be changed for egg-protein), the main difference is that I take about 3-4 proteinshakes a week instead of 2-4/day.

The main reason for this is basically trying to get as much of it as possible through whole foods instead, and what I've learned through biochemistry courses at the university.

So how have your habits changed and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,563,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
If you've taken supplements before, how have your supplementation changed over time, and what have been the cause for it?

I personally went out pretty hard too all kinds of stuff, from pwos, to plain creatine, to gainers, heavy gainers, drinking protein powders multiple times/day, together with overdosed vitamins, and performance enhancers...

Now I'm down to a light vitamin supplement, omega-3 and occasional whey-protein(which will be changed for egg-protein), the main difference is that I take about 3-4 proteinshakes a week instead of 2-4/day.

The main reason for this is basically trying to get as much of it as possible through whole foods instead, and what I've learned through biochemistry courses at the university.

So how have your habits changed and why?

I stopped taking whey protein. As a substitute, I take a good bit of BCAA supplementation. Take loads of Omega 3's and Controlled Labs Orange Triad (Multi vitamin). I used to take Advanced Neutriciticals Osteo Sport for my joints, but haven't felt the need to.

I'm trying to cut down to 8-10% body fat, so I started taking VPX Meltdown and Creatine.

Ideally, I'm trying to get down to 8-10% BF which will be approx 8-14 lbs of fat...with lean mass at 130-140, for a total body weight of 148.

The multivitamin only supplements, does not replace. I think most people get confused and use supplements as replacements.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM

355 posts, read 950,509 times
6-7 years ago I was in somewhat of a "catch-up" phase to be as strong as my classmates. For about a year I tried GNC whey, Nitrotech, and other creatine supplements (can't recall the brands), and I saw a significant increase in mass and strength (max bench +50lbs). After HS, I had somewhat of a falling out and quit working out regularly, partly due to the fact that I no longer had a gym to use

I never completely stopped being athletic though, in that I would regularly play basketball, football, and do some occasional pushups..

Then a couple years ago I got back on it and began taking Xyience, BSN Syntha-6, NOxplode and ON pro complex (not at the same time). I saw very positive results in terms of strength (bench +another 50 lbs) and definition - 'twas the NOxplode. During this time is also when I began changing up my workouts to include heavy lifting, P90x and some calisthenics - which inevitably contributed to the muscle definition I'd achieved. I read bad reviews on BSN's NOxplode (detailing an increase in liver enzymes and that it contained higher contents of potentially poisonous metals ie lead, cadmium, etc), and really began to wonder if I was causing more harm than good to my body. I (sadly) quit all the supplements and searched for an alternative.

Over the past year I've limited myself to EAS whey and ON Hydrowhey (awesome stuff) and have continued to see gains in strength. As I've stated in other threads though, my workouts continually change which is what I attribute a lot of my personal success to. It was only recently (a couple months) that I've been eating healthier and looking for natural sources of protein, carbs, potassium, etc., but I feel the best I ever have and am the leanest and strongest I've ever been.

/rant

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
I have been completely supplement free since October 2011. Well, the ONLY thing I actually use is a bit of Udo's Choice oil in my tuna or just a tablespoon of it directly.

When either bulking or cutting I always take ON Whey, GNC Mega Man Sport vitamins, Cell-Tech Hardcore creatine (only when bulking) and maybe a bit of casein mixed with my whey pre-workout. I almost never stray far from these things because they WORK for me. Like some people think cell-tech is a waste of money, I dont because that sh*t WORKS and it tastes GOOD (fruit punch)!!!

I really try to get everything I need through my nutrition intake though because I have never been a fan of ingesting anything other than food into my body, but those few things really have contributed to tremendous success in my workout/fitness/athletic career. I always always always like to take a few months to be supplement free. Not for fear of anything, I just want to monitor my body and adjust my nutrition intake accordingly.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,568,174 times
ive tried a whole bunch of stuff over there years. now i basically take a protein drink, caffeine pill, multivitamin and a vitamin d3. i wont take any more d3 after my current supply runs out. basically just trying to narrow it down to the basics to avoid wasting money on stuff that doesnt make a difference. i toss around dropping the multi, but its dirt cheap so i may just leave it in there.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM

810 posts, read 1,455,439 times
All I take is ON Whey. I had a tenure of trying Creatine, but I hated the bloated feeling. I also tried NO-Xplode for some time, but quit when I couldn't take the jitters and the feeling of my veins trying to pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness