Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spend more time walking to get around or to walk for exercise/taking a walk.
I spend more time walking as a pedestrian (eg. getting around) more than walking for its own sake. 12 41.38%
I spend more time walking for the sake of getting/taking a walk for exercise, more than to get around. 11 37.93%
I spend roughly equal amounts of walking for those two reasons. 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times

Advertisements

I workout in the am so by the time I get to work my exercise is done.

I sit all day at a desk job. My butt cheeks get numb. Luckily we have long hallways and I drink water so I take numerous walks down the hall to visit the restroom. If I up the speed, gets the circulation moving in the cheeks and enables me to sit again when I get back to my desk until the next walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I am just wondering about this.

I notice some people have to go out of their way to "walk as exercise" intentionally while other people get around walking more often as practicality and don't feel the need to spend time "walking as exercise" because it's already what they do a lot of. Now, in the United States, it seems in general a lot of cities differ in how many people walk (for example in big dense ones like NYC, obviously more people walk to stores and get around as pedestrians etc.) and get things done via walking, so I wonder how the amount of walking "for fitness" vs. "walking to get by" differs for most people.
I have always lived in the suburbs of a largish city. When I was a kid, I did walk to get somewhere, as to the store for my mom, or to school.

But neighborhood stores closed, or I moved as an adult farther afield, and walking to any destination became impractical.

Now, as a senior, I do walk 2-3 times/week at a track in a community gym. I walk 1 mile on the track and do about 2 miles on a recumbent elliptical machine, for the sake of my knees. (I also work out on various machines for legs and upper body.) I do walk through 2 grocery stores twice a week, and I do yard work throughout the year.

I spent my career standing and walking, with some time spent at a desk. Its the standing that messes with your knees, IMO.

I really need the fitness walking. I want to keep my legs strong and my balance working, which us why I don’t use a treadmill. And when we travel I want to be able to walk a short trail or climb stairs. So, for me, fitness walking is useful.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I love walking and is the only exercise I'm willing to do. I drive a car, so I don't have to walk very much to get around, so I purposely go out to walk for 30 minutes (2 miles) every day during lunch. It is fast walking, not leisurely and relaxed; I walk fast enough to get my heart rate up. Weekends, I don't walk unless I have a walkable destination to go to.

Last edited by sas318; 12-04-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
I'm only 63, so I'm not old enough to consider walking to be exercise.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I live in a city where you pretty much have to drive everywhere. I could probably bike to the local grocery store if I didn't mind being hit by someone not paying attention to the road. Our area has a lot of bike fatalities because we don't have enough bike paths and we have a lot of snowbirds and distracted drivers these days.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:09 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
I purposfully walk to places where most people would drive. For health, and enjoyment.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Honestly when we were kids (from a young age to teenage years) we didn't have a car until my mom went to work (night shift) so we never had the "luxury" of transportation other than walking. So it has always been for practical purposes but nowadays I am grateful for that upbringing and TG and knock on wood my legs are in great shape so I continue to do it for both practical reasons and knowing that it is also (for me) good exercise as well. I also do water aerobics and that's something I enjoy.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I think most people who walk to get around likely live back east in the US, or overseas, with good public transportation that they walk to, and small stores on many corners, and most of their life is, or can be, within walking distance, or within walking distance of public transportation.

Things aren't really that way out west. Stores are very spread out, with LONG distances between, and very poor public transportation options. Walking to get things done in my day isn't really an option, while still keeping a job. Everything is relatively far away, so if I was going to walk to run my errands, it could take many hours of walking, and that's choosing the closest options, which are often the most expensive. If I was going to ride the bus around, it would take a little less time, but not a lot less.

Therefore, I walk for fitness, not to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness