Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times

Advertisements

My knees are really done, how do i exercise my legs??? I'm sure my muscles are getting weaker. At this time i'm not a good candidate for knee surgery, so what do i do? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
IDK sounds like you would be better off going to a physical therapist and getting advice about this. But FWIW, the advice I've always heard in cases like this is swimming or other water-based exercises. Another idea is an alter-g treadmill. This is a kind of high tech treadmill that greatly reduces the impact force of running (or walking). A few health clubs have them.

HealthWatch: New Treadmill Helps Users Defy Gravity « CBS San Francisco

Check this list to see if there is one near you.
Rehab & Training Treadmill Customers | AlterG

Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Swimming or biking.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
I was in therapy and did do swimming, i had car trouble and had to stop. I'm going to the ortho the beginning of April and def will start swimming again and also see what he says. Thankyou for the info.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
My knees are really done, how do i exercise my legs??? I'm sure my muscles are getting weaker. At this time i'm not a good candidate for knee surgery, so what do i do? Any ideas?
First what you do is follow your doctors advice on how to manage your knees condition and pain.

Next walk as much , at a comfortable pace, as you can taking time to rest as needed. Or swim or bicycle as you can. NO RUNNING!!!!

Then invest in a simple cane and learn how to walk with a cane correctly (yes, it's possible to use a cane wrong). A cane will spread your weight out over three points to keep your balance and make it easier to walk.

Best of luck and take it slow and easy.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
You would never have imagined crocodiles can speak, would you, Sue?

Bad knees can be improved with appropriate exercise. Every gym going person needs to do these exercises on a regular basis. Becoz the legs need to be strong to carry you forever.

Patellas are held in place by quadriceps (frontal of the thigh), hamstrings (rear of the thigh) muscles primarily and the calf muscles to an extent. The quads and hams tend on the patella (knee cap), that's how the body is designed.

The harder you make the Quads, hams, calf and gluteal muscles, the better for the knee, its cap and the general leg. There's no way it can fail.

There are several weight machines which service these areas. Perform some reps on alternate days for 4 months and you will see knee issues disappearing. And never stop.

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/images/958.jpg

http://www.fitnessbodybuilding.net/i...sion-cybex.jpg

Knee Pain Exercises | Health Care

Now pet my tail and feed me a BBW. Dinner time.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
You would never have imagined crocodiles can speak, would you, Sue?

Bad knees can be improved with appropriate exercise. Every gym going person needs to do these exercises on a regular basis. Becoz the legs need to be strong to carry you forever.

Patellas are held in place by quadriceps (frontal of the thigh), hamstrings (rear of the thigh) muscles primarily and the calf muscles to an extent. The quads and hams tend on the patella (knee cap), that's how the body is designed.

The harder you make the Quads, hams, calf and gluteal muscles, the better for the knee, its cap and the general leg. There's no way it can fail.

There are several weight machines which service these areas. Perform some reps on alternate days for 4 months and you will see knee issues disappearing. And never stop.

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/images/958.jpg

http://www.fitnessbodybuilding.net/i...sion-cybex.jpg

Now pet my tail and feed me a BBW. Dinner time.
Sorry, but these machines will do more damage to an already damaged knee. In fact, for the damaged knee these machines are no better than the old torture device called "The Rack"!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I don't know about the walking as much as you can... I have a bad knee and when I walk a lot it always ends up feeling like a cinder block and needing ice.

Last edited by brava4; 03-18-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I don't know about the walking a much as you can... I have a bad knee and when I walk a lot it always ends up feeling like a cinder block and needing ice.
Walk a bit, rest a bit, etc. to avoid pain.

At the end of the day it will be all good since it's the total that matters the most.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I tore up the cartilage on the ends of my femurs with years of heavy squats and powercleans. I have no idea what the nature of your injury is, so take this with a grain of salt...

I've had orthopedists tell me to quit lifting weights, quit doing pushups, quit doing situps, don't ride the stationary bike, just focus on walking. That's plainly unacceptable to me... Maybe take that sort of advice with a grain of salt too.

I stay away from anything where I'm putting weight on my back or straightening my leg against a significant load. Also, if I want my knees to hurt like hell and feel gravelly for a week all I have to do is sit at the quad extension machine.

I can tolerate light to moderate leg press with plenty of recovery time in between. It's iffy whether I should be doing this.

Can you tolerate the invisible chair?

See if you can get clearance for box jumps. Those are great... Can you sprint? 50-100 yard sprints and short shuttles can strengthen your legs. I can do these without trouble for the most part, sometimes I can't.

I can always do glute/hamstring raises.

Keeping my glutes and hamstrings limber seems to make a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness