Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,918,311 times

Advertisements

The answer to this question is no, as long as you can control your appetite. But nearly every person has something active he or she ought to be doing, if only for mental and spiritual health.

As far as not having the time or energy for exercise, you always have the time. Period. Especially if you have time to be on city-data (this I've found from personal experience).

Not having enough energy to work out, though, I can 100 percent understand, especially if you're obese. If energy is an issue, focus totally on the diet side of things until you have enough energy to exercise. And to keep you motivated during this phase, think of exercise as something active you WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO, such as dancing or maintaining your yard, rather than grinding miles out on a treadmill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,918,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am aware of that ringo. many of them are giving terrible advice.

i like the people who say "everyone can benefit from exercise in the gym." they are absolutely clueless what an obese person without a plan and the dedication to stick to a plan will do in the gym. they will basically do no exercise, eat more and never get anywhere. the best plan would be to develop a diet that they will stick to. then (after they have followed a diet for a period of time) they can go to the gym with an actual workout plan that actually uses effort. most people in the gym are just wasting time and doing nothing that would ever amount to any meaningful progress.
A million percent agree with this, we were basically writing the same post at the same time!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
This is a great suggestion I am going to do the same. I go to the grocery store every weekend my best option is to buy bulk frozen veggies and fruits and cans of tuna fish or chicken breast so they will be ready for me when I prepare my sandwich. Thanks =)
Btw, it doesn't have to be boring or taste bad. I enjoy cooking a lot, so my food is delicious. Whole, fresh ingredients...lots of fruit and veg...meats without hormones, etc...when you make this food, you must only be aware of portion sizes, of course. And you can always add more fiber-rich veggies than the recipe calls for.

Here are some meat recipes I have recently used that lasted for days!

Beef Bourguignon Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Engagement Roast Chicken Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Filet Mignon with Balsamic Syrup and Goat Cheese Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

Turkey Meatloaf Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Remember...you can healthy things up by substituting ground chicken or ground turkey in many recipes, too. Trim the fat off of beef. Use lean cuts, remove skin, etc, etc.

For a fun 'bad day,'

Cerveza-Battered Fish Tacos with Quick-Pickled Onion and Cucumber Recipe : Sunny Anderson : Food Network

Use whole wheat tortillas...consider grilling or baking the fish instead of frying.

Steam up tons of fresh veg to go along with these things.

Last edited by stan4; 03-29-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM

15,789 posts, read 21,302,505 times
I see exercise and diet in two separate categories. Hands down the most important facet of weight loss is diet. Proportions, eating clean, eating the rainbow - all necessary for weight loss/maintenance and feeding your body.

Exercise is sort of a little bonus in weight loss. If your diet is good, exercise only serves as a catalyst. But you can make the same argument about getting the right amount of sleep, and you certainly don't sleep just for the weight loss benefits!

Exercise is a kind of momentum for the day. It gets you going. I'm a night exerciser, but I always do at least 20 minutes of yoga in the morning which energizes me. Having strong muscles under the fat isn't going to make all the fat go away, but it makes me feel more healthy and deliberate with my body as I lose weight. Plus, it helps prevent muscle loss from weight loss. Losing weight without strength training leaves you looking pretty flabby.

Stan - It sounds like you and I have very similar mindsets toward food. Lunch today was half a portion of curried lentils (which was almost more kale and collards than lentils themselves) on a bed of arugula. No need to have plain, flavorless, boring salads all the time. I make big meals, portion them out on the spot, and eat pretty much every leftover either salad greens (arugula, spring mix, or spinach) or steamed kale. I keep a stock of lentils on hand and whenever collars or kale goes on sale, I buy an armful and cook up a huge pot of lentils to freeze.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM

4,543 posts, read 4,791,740 times
Quote:
I think walking around it 4 times = a mile right?
Typically, yes. But it's 400m / 440 yrds/ .25 miles in lane 1, it's obviously longer in other lanes. The start line for the 400m race in lane 8 is almost halfway around the first corner .

It also could be a different length if its not for competition. Universities, high schools and middle schools have 400m tracks. Elementary schools could have any size track they want. If that community college doesn't do any sports, it really could be a different size, but 1/4 mile is a good guess. most people walk ~3mph, so if it takes you about 5 minutes to walk a lap, it's probably a normal sized track.
To make matters even more confusing, indoor tracks, which are almost always at universities, are 200m / 1/8th mile. Indoor tracks at exercise clubs/gyms are all kinds of different sizes, and often have nasty 90 degree corners.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
mild exercise coupled with heavy dieting is effective. my favorite pick, kaiser 24 hr fast, 3 cans slim fast and a modest meal daily.
next best is kaiser portion diet.
1/2 cut grain, 1/2 cup meat, 2 cups dairy, 1.5 cup veg, 1.5 cup fruit daily

Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM

16,943 posts, read 16,183,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am aware of that ringo. many of them are giving terrible advice.

i like the people who say "everyone can benefit from exercise in the gym." they are absolutely clueless what an obese person without a plan and the dedication to stick to a plan will do in the gym. they will basically do no exercise, eat more and never get anywhere. the best plan would be to develop a diet that they will stick to. then (after they have followed a diet for a period of time) they can go to the gym with an actual workout plan that actually uses effort. most people in the gym are just wasting time and doing nothing that would ever amount to any meaningful progress.
Everyone can benefit from exercise in the gym, though.

It's true that a person can go to the gym, hang out in the locker room, snack in the cafe, lounge on the recumbent bike watching t.v., laze in the sauna and really not do too much in the way of exercising. Obese folks are by far not the only ones who do this, btw. Lazy comes in all sizes. Yep it's possible to goof off in the gym.

But an obese (or normal weight) person who goes to the gym every day, puts in 30 minutes on the treadmill, lifts some weights - is doing something good for themselves.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-29-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,717,763 times
Exercise is recommended, as long as you watch calorie intake. Let's say you consume 1200 calories a day. You might need to burn more than half so you can get the results you desire.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,915,686 times
Quote:
lol I wish I were 5'9 thanks for y'alls suggestions. I know when I move I will be doing a lot more walking but in the meantime I can walk and jog on the track at the community college around here. I think walking around it 4 times = a mile right? Due to my schedule I usually eat fast food 8 times a week both lunch and dinner and I cook at home during the weekends. I am just too tired to cook and I heard its not good to eat after 7pm. I know my diet is terrible but I am going to start packing my own lunch from now on. As for the folks who are frequent gym goers who poke fun at fat people they dont really phase me nor do I care I always say its my health and they will not stop me from what I want to do so there. I did not think it was that big of a problem? lol?
I'm not in the fitness industry but I believe I am qualified to give advice because I lost a lot of weight and kept it off. I was a lifelong fattie.

You don't need the gym but you do need exercise. Every day. Start where you need to start. Walking is good but it does take time. I started out walking 5 miles a day. It took too much time so I started running. I've found that if I am running, I can eat pretty much as I please. Put some weights by the TV. You have to use the weights if you are going to watch TV. Do small things like take the stairs and park at the back of the lot. Do what you can do to increase your activity level. Walk for 15 minutes of your lunch every day.

You are sabotaging yourself with all the fast food. Weight loss is not compatible with eating fast food 16 meals a week. Try to limit fast food to twice a week. You already cook on the weekends, so just cook more. It's not much more effort to cook a big pot than a small one. Package up all your lunches and dinners on the weekend. Then you have your own fast food all ready to go. You will save a lot of money too. Plan your meals in advance and shop with a list.

People eat for lots of reasons other than hunger. You know what you are likely to overeat, so don't buy those things. Or if you have to have it, forego the savings of the large economy size and buy the single serving package. That way you can have the full package and not feel bad about it. I know I WILL eat a whole bag of Cheetos or Oreos...so I buy the single serving package.

There's a lot about the physiology of obesity we don't understand. Calories in VS calories burned is an oversimplification and it's just not true for most fat people. Once upon a time, I proved this by going on a 1K calorie diet...a pint of Baskin Robbins every day. I didn't lose a thing. All calories are not created equal. Here's something hopeful for you to think about. After I lost the weight, I can and do eat more today than when I was fat. It's not impossible.

Diet wise, what worked for me was Atkins. Basically low carb. I found I could still eat and lose and the increased protein made it easier to add muscle mass. You will have to find the diet and exercise plan that works for you and will fit in your lifestyle. It's going to be a major change for you. And it won't happen overnight.

If I was going to do this, here's an example of what I would do. I would probably buy bag salad and make chicken or tuna salad to go with it for lunches. Or precook chicken/hamburger patties. For dinners there's the same stuff as lunch plus baked chicken, meatloaf, turkey, and fish. Eat all the fresh green veggies you want.

If you are living on fast food, you are eating a LOT of bread and sugar that are pretty much useless calories with very little food value. Chances are you will crave bread and sugar when you take a lot of the junk out of your diet. It will take 3 or 4 days to get used to your new normal.

Best of luck!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,480,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Everyone can benefit from exercise in the gym, though.
i dont live in this theoretical fairytale world you live in. sure people CAN benefit from exercising. but in reality, very few are going to see any benefit until they have really dedicated themselves and really developed a diet and exercise plan they will stick to. im just suggesting they use a more systematic and thoughtful approach to addressing their problems, not walking into a gym suddenly without knowing what a weight looks like and without cutting anything from their diet and expect to make any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness