Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

One of the things to bear in mind wrt exercise that many people don't know is that increased muscle mass increases your at rest metabolism. So even when at rest, you burn more calories when you increase your muscle mass. Many people focus on cardio to the exclusion of resistance training. Also many people assume that to build mucle mass requires weights or machines at the gym. This is not so. If you look at SparkPeople.com, their fitness tracker can recommend workouts for you. All the resistance training can be done at home with body resistance (picture lunges, wall squats...) or very inexpensive home equipment (bands).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i bet most obese people who exercise end up gaining weight. they will reward themselves for exercising with additional food. how many fat people in the gym do you see not being fat over time? ive been going to the same gym for 8 years and the same fat people 8 years ago are still fat.
So motiviational. I have seen people go to the gym work out and lose weight AND keep it off. They have more energy and make the time. On top of that they inspire others.

It is people who judge and stare at someone walking into the gym. The fact the person walked through the doors to join the gym is far braver than anything most of us will do in a lifetime.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 AM

41 posts, read 92,740 times
I am 4'9.5 155lbs 22 years old, female BMI is 32 which is considered obese. I am striving to get to 100lbs, my ultimate goal. To be honest I am not active at all, pretty sedentary. Thanks all for the helpful advice

Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I am 4'9.5 155lbs 22 years old, female BMI is 32 which is considered obese. I am striving to get to 100lbs, my ultimate goal. To be honest I am not active at all, pretty sedentary. Thanks all for the helpful advice

No it is not mandatory to lose weight. The only thing that article pointed out was that eating properly will speed along weightloss. A nutritionally rich diet will feed the body to work its best and it won't feel like its being starved.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

Use that. It will give you dietary guidance.

What is mandatory that enables you to lose weight is allowing your body to use your fat for fuel. There are many ways to go about this. You can do this with diet. You can do this with exercise. You can tweak it with lower carb diets that are calorie appropriate. You can do it with the diet & exercise combo.

I agree to get your diet strait first and then move onto exercise. If you start eating right you will feel that energy and be naturally drawn to do something. Its very easy to lose weight and keep it off when you go at YOUR pace and make changes that are livable and reasonable.

With that site you can do mini-workouts from home. You don't need to go to a gym.

End result of dieting alone will give you a higher body fat % maybe depending on your diet and genetics. Don't skip the dietary change part though only because its all you can do right now. People scare others away from weight loss...making it seem like its some stupid miracle. Its not. Its consistent efforts you can live with that take you in a healthy direction instead of the opposite.

On obese people not belonging in the gym. Rude delivery of the truth. Its a fact that some people who are obese should NOT be working out because of the strain it can put on the heart and joints. Some people need to lose weight before even starting exercise.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Quote:
I just don't have time or energy for exercise.
This is just an excuse. You have the time to sit at a computer and type out your question. You probably have time for Facebook, getting fast food or sitting in front of the TV. People who exercise regularly are disciplined and make the time to be fit. They make it a priority. I work 45 hours a week, have a long commute as well, but still run 60-70 miles a week. How? I set the alarm clock 4 days a week and get up at 4:00 am. So I could make the excuse, "Oh, I just don't have the time to exercise." Everyone could make that excuse, but some of us choose not to.

See? I don't want to sound criticial, but I'm stating facts.

As for your opening question, sure, you can lose weight by restricting calories and not doing any exercise. But you will almost surely not keep your weight off. No one can stay on a diet indefinitely and once they lose weight, they go back to their life-long pattern of sloth, indolence and eating.

You would GAIN energy by exercising. You can't possibly feel very good being obese. So make up your mind to change your lifestyle now. Start by walking and increase the time you walk. Gradually you will feel better and start enjoying exercising.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
Yes I go on facebook, I dont play video games at all lol. I am working two jobs right now. I am tired when I get home I just want to eat then dive in the bed. The only way I can fit in exercise is in early morning and of course weekends I have all the time in the world.
Mornings and weekends it is then. Just so you know, this is not the thread that you want to come on and say, "I need to lose weight but...." and give excuses. Most of the regular posters here are pretty serious about diet, fitness and exercise and make working out a priority. You'll get lots of good advice, but if you just end up talking about why you aren't successful in your efforts you won't get much sympathy.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The fact the person walked through the doors to join the gym is far braver than anything most of us will do in a lifetime.
no, walking to a gym shows absolutely no bravery. it shows the person wants to kid themselves into believing they are doing something when they arent. what they need to do is stop eating the chips, ice cream, chocolates, etc. etc. etc.

obese people are clueless (intentionally so) about diet and exercise. they need someone to be blunt with them, not blow smoke up their big butts.

the number 1 thing they need to do is look at their diet and start cutting.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
To answer the question...it depends on what your intake is now.

OP needs to visit a Dr if he is obese or intends to drastically reduce weight in a short time.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
no, walking to a gym shows absolutely no bravery. it shows the person wants to kid themselves into believing they are doing something when they arent. what they need to do is stop eating the chips, ice cream, chocolates, etc. etc. etc.

obese people are clueless (intentionally so) about diet and exercise. they need someone to be blunt with them, not blow smoke up their big butts.

Not blowing smoke by any means. I am stating the facts. It takes a lot of courage for someone to walk into a gym because they get feedback like you are giving. It CAN be done and as I stated I have seen several people do it successfully.

Check with your doctor before you start any type of program, but IMO you need exercise in order to build muscle. It increases your metabolism and helps you burn calories.

Being blunt may work for some, but not all.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:

Captain is right. Although a bit harsh but I COMPLETELY agree with him on this. I even agree with his methods. There should be no P***yfootin' around it with some people. They need cold hard FACTS and they need it put to them on honest blunt tones. Thats how I do it. We are not talking about little babies here, we are talking adults who should not need to be treated with extra special delicate gloves.

Captain is RIGHT especially about them being intentionally clueless. We have all seen it here before where someone starts a post looking for help and they IGNORE the GREAT advice given by people who KNOW what they are talking about. But they respond to people with b.s./stupid remarks about "Oh you should briskly walk for 5 minutes" or "do gardening, its great exercise" or "lift very light weight like cans of Progresso soup and you'll drop the weight". Im always like WTF?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness