U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM

25,632 posts, read 32,633,036 times

Advertisements

Everyone makes mistakes, even dog owners. If a dog approaches me once or twice and the owner is at least trying to get the dog under control, I don't make a big deal of it.

There was one guy in my old neighborhood whose snarling shepherd was always loose on the street when I'd walk by. I wound up calling the cops several times because the owner didn't think there was anything wrong with his dog running loose on the street -- and after that didn't see the dog off leash again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

17,770 posts, read 14,704,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes, even dog owners. If a dog approaches me once or twice and the owner is at least trying to get the dog under control, I don't make a big deal of it.

There was one guy in my old neighborhood whose snarling shepherd was always loose on the street when I'd walk by. I wound up calling the cops several times because the owner didn't think there was anything wrong with his dog running loose on the street -- and after that didn't see the dog off leash again.
yeah, the dog escaping and running free happens to every dog owner sometimes. it happened to me once and one time my mom's boyfriend came over to walk her while i was away and she got free. but if during those instances someone killed my dog or pepper sprayed my dog, its not their fault. they have a right to defend themselves.

btw, i dont think my dog would attack someone. she will stand and bark at them and look scary. but they dont know that and i dont know that with 100% certainty.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,607,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Yesterday I was in my neighborhood running. All of a sudden out of nowhere a huge German Sheppard comes charging at me. It didn't bite me but acted like it was going to. It kept barking, growling and circling me. I stopped running and put my hands and arms up near my face.

Needless to say I was terrified because I have a fear of being bitten by a large dog. I went up to a neighbors house to ask them if it was their dog but she said it was the neighbors. The neighbor boy came out of the house and was trying to find the dog. He said his dad must have accidently let it out of the backyard while doing yard work.

I finally composed myself enough to run back up to my house and got the pepper spray that I had bought but was still in the package. I carried it for the rest of my run but did not run into the dog again.

I would hate to have to use the spray on the dog because I don't really feel it's all the dogs fault but the owner for letting a dog like that loose.

My husband had also been threatened by this dog last year while walking but wasn't bit. He was not so nice when he confronted the neighbor.

How do I deal with stuff like this without having to use the spray. The dog didn't bite me but terrified me. (I wouldn't have been so afraid if it was a little dog).
If you think that's attacking, you're grossly mistaken. I grew up with sheps and great danes. Barking, growling and circling of a shep does not mean it's gonna attack and maim you.

It's just the dog's nature.

You encroached into his territory and as the old saying goes, "dogs are scared by things in motion, especially people who run". They always assume that they are being attacked and that it's their duty to protect their territory.

You did the right thing. Stop, walk slowly and then pick up the pace again. If it were me, I'd have petted it and then moved away.

I don't understand this culture where people think a barking dog is mean. Dogs bark. Should they sing?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Try running in the presence of even a midget dog and it's gonna act up. Why is this even a problem? If it's that big of a deal, there's the stadium where people run rounds.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

5,161 posts, read 6,419,680 times
GSDs are a herding breed (German Shepherd). When herding dogs aren't trained, they can have some undesirable behaviors. They're very smart and task oriented, but that can be an issue, when focused in the wrong direction.

First of all, you will never outrun a dog so don't even try. It's a waste of energy and effort. If the dog is herding you, which is possible, it's just going to work harder at it. If the dog is being aggressive, exposing your back to the dog and tearing away from it, is going to expose your weakness to it and that can lead to very poor results.

Since the dog is apparently a pet, it is probably socialized pretty well, and used to human interaction. Don't have a staring contest with it, but look it in the eyes and tell it no, sit, stay, or whatever it seems to respond to. Don't shake your fist or point at it, and definitely don't move toward it. Try to get it to stay, and back away from it until it loses interest. The key is having the dog focus on what you are instructing it to do, and breaking its focus away from what it wants to do.

Spraying a dog with pepper spray can have the opposite effect that you want. It's a possibility, but should be considered a last resort, because the dog might go from defensive/territorial mode, to attack mode. You don't want that. See the part about not being able to outrun a dog.

Finally, keep in mind that all breeds have the potential to be aggressive. Don't try to handle any strange dog, especially in that type of situation. Even friendly acting dogs can have triggers, so you should always be careful when approaching any unfamiliar dog.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM

25,632 posts, read 32,633,036 times
An ankle-biter dog I'll just move out of my way with my foot. It's the big dogs with powerful jaws that I'm wary of. I certainly know that not all dogs are threatening; you just don't know how a dog will react to you, especially if you're moving quickly.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 19,023,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
G

Since the dog is apparently a pet, it is probably socialized pretty well, and used to human interaction.
That is assuming that its owners are "normal" people and not low life gangster/red necky/hillbilly/rapper types who train their dogs to attack.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM

4,180 posts, read 3,810,070 times
I carry something called "the knuckle blaster" which is a hard rubber thing that I keep on my hand - think brass knuckles. I got it from Cabela's and it is a stun gun. What makes it good is that when I fire it, it shoots a lot of spark into the air while making a loud static sound. These are not legal to carry everywhere. Yesterday, a loose Bull Mastiff came charging in the direction of myself and my dog and this dog was moving. I fired the Knuckle Blaster and the dog stopped on a dime and ran in the opposite direction. On the regulars, herding dogs and ankle biters, most pretend they just don't see us now except for one terrier who just wants to push its luck! I got this after my dog was grabbed by the neck by a Husky.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

17,770 posts, read 14,704,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Don't have a staring contest with it, but look it in the eyes and tell it no, sit, stay, or whatever it seems to respond to.
yeah, ive done that. i figure its used to someone yelling at it to stay or shut up so i try to do the same thing in the hopes it will figure its supposed to listen to me. not that it would listen, but it may confuse it enough to not attack me.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is assuming that its owners are "normal" people and not low life gangster/red necky/hillbilly/rapper types who train their dogs to attack.
Well, if a person's jogging through such a neighborhood, Lao, chances of getting attacked by a two-legged is way higher than a four-legged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness