U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

366 posts, read 274,116 times
Default Spray bottle filled with ammonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Yesterday I was in my neighborhood running. All of a sudden out of nowhere a huge German Sheppard comes charging at me. It didn't bite me but acted like it was going to. It kept barking, growling and circling me. I stopped running and put my hands and arms up near my face.

Needless to say I was terrified because I have a fear of being bitten by a large dog. I went up to a neighbors house to ask them if it was their dog but she said it was the neighbors. The neighbor boy came out of the house and was trying to find the dog. He said his dad must have accidently let it out of the backyard while doing yard work.

I finally composed myself enough to run back up to my house and got the pepper spray that I had bought but was still in the package. I carried it for the rest of my run but did not run into the dog again.

I would hate to have to use the spray on the dog because I don't really feel it's all the dogs fault but the owner for letting a dog like that loose.

My husband had also been threatened by this dog last year while walking but wasn't bit. He was not so nice when he confronted the neighbor.

How do I deal with stuff like this without having to use the spray. The dog didn't bite me but terrified me. (I wouldn't have been so afraid if it was a little dog).
Although I've never had the opportunity to try this ancient method of warding off dogs during a run, but I once read that spraying ammonia warns them away from you.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM

6,326 posts, read 8,104,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Try running in the presence of even a midget dog and it's gonna act up. Why is this even a problem? If it's that big of a deal, there's the stadium where people run rounds.
I think you pretty much lost credibility in this thread with your first post saying "dog never attack people". You think we forgot?

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
Quote:
Well, if a person's jogging through such a neighborhood, Lao, chances of getting attacked by a two-legged is way higher than a four-legged.
Here in L.A. you can definitely find those types very close by no matter where you live.

Here in Woodland Hills there are some trailer trashy/red necky types living in some nice $750,000 and up homes. Plus, one can easily run a quarter mile and end up in Canoga Park where you'll find some Cholo houses and fighting pit bulls.

In Sherman Oaks, problem will be with the girthy animal shelter volunteering women who like to walk their "rescue dogs" without a leash thinking they are so great and all. Some of those rescue dogs have been abused and as such they be crazy and could attack for no reason.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM

19,026 posts, read 12,625,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think you pretty much lost credibility in this thread with your first post saying "dog never attack people". You think we forgot?
I don't get paid to earn your little credibility. Let's make that very clear.

So, if that amuses you, write my musings on a piece of paper and worship it.

Dogs don't attack people. They aren't born that way. Ask any dog expert. One can however make a dog to attack people.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

16,114 posts, read 11,030,846 times
Quote:
Dogs don't attack people. They aren't born that way. Ask any dog expert. One can however make a dog to attack people.
how do you say something so silly?

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM

19,026 posts, read 12,625,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how do you say something so silly?
Nothing more sillier than asking someone to take pepper spray for a dog.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing more sillier than asking someone to take pepper spray for a dog.
actually i think its much sillier. the first sentence you said dogs dont attack people. the last sentence you said someone can make a dog to attack people. those are directly contradictory statements.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,079,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is why I try to avoid running through neighborhoods. Too many irresponsible dog owners. I am a dog lover and would absolutely hate to hurt any dog, but I will protect myself if needed. If I have to run through a neighborhood, I always have some type of blade with me just in case. Usually, its an Emerson Karambit or Super Karambit like this:

If I am out running and someone's attack dog (pitbull, rottweiller, etc.) ran up to me in full attack mode its throat WILL be sliced wide open. I wouldnt cut a lab or Cocker Spaniel, but if its a pitbull or some dog that could take a human life, its going to get killed.
F*** the knife! If I have a pitbull or any other medium to large vicious dog locked onto my femur, I'm taking out the 9mm and aerating its cranial cavity. If the animal were to be captured by the ASPCA it would be put down anyway, so common sense tells me that I might as well take care of now on the spot what would inevitably be done by others later.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
F*** the knife! If I have a pitbull or any other medium to large vicious dog locked onto my femur, I'm taking out the 9mm and punching a hole through its head. Hey if it were to be captured by the ASPCA it would be put down anyway, so common sense dictates that you might as well do now on the spot what will be done later.
your ability to do that depends on what state you are in. sounds like Lao is from California, so i doubt he is allowed to walk around with his 9mm to shoot attacking pitt bulls.

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
your ability to do that depends on what state you are in. sounds like Lao is from California, so i doubt he is allowed to walk around with his 9mm to shoot attacking pitt bulls.
Yep. Here in Commiefornia I'd probably get arrested if I shot a vicious attacking pit bull in my front yard.

Being highly training in knife fighting and carrying one or sometimes two knives is good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness