U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,715,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I don't get paid to earn your little credibility. Let's make that very clear.

So, if that amuses you, write my musings on a piece of paper and worship it.

Dogs don't attack people. They aren't born that way. Ask any dog expert. One can however make a dog to attack people.
My God man, you have half a dozen, almost every poster here, disagreeing with you. Dogs do attack people, at least enough so that it is an issue to consider in jogging. You aren't "a little bit" wrong, you are completely wrong. Weather they are born that way or not is irrelevent, and your clumsy attempt at recovery "they don't attack, but they do attack if..." doesn't work. Get the message and depart this thread, or at least stop posting nonsense, unless you enjoy being the thread punching bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM

4,816 posts, read 5,488,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is assuming that its owners are "normal" people and not low life gangster/red necky/hillbilly/rapper types who train their dogs to attack.
I'm more leery of the people, than I am concerned about dealing with their dogs.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,715,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm more leery of the people, than I am concerned about dealing with their dogs.
There are many things to worry about during jogging - injuries, traffic, robbers, rapists, pollution, sidewalk obstacles, noise, etc.
But this thread happens to be about dogs.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,784,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
The Sheppard that came after me was not "SWEET" by any means. A sweet dog would not come out into the street and attack you. If I was trying to break into their house then it would be justified for the dog to ack that way. It came up from behind me so it's not that I startled it.

I am the most social person you could meet!
Again, it was NOT attacking you.

Dogs are easily flustered by mobile entities. And you have this whole 100 pound something you in a forward direction and that's definitely gonna scare the crap out of anything, from the squirrel to the bison. Well, not so sure about bisons.

Even the flight of a ball gets its ears to go in the sound's direction. Now that you know where the dog is, take another street. When I go home the neighbour's dog gets all flustered and comes, pounds the door as I make the key noise while opening my door. Does not mean it is trying to attack me.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,774,691 times
And then on the 8th day god created a treadmill.

But here is a link:
How to Avoid a Dog Bite : The Humane Society of the United States

I walk a lot and have dealt with it. I think its easier to deal with while walking because you don't run up on the dog. Every single time I put my hands in front of my throat as locked fists, cover my organs with my arms, and keep my legs closed and stand like a statue letting the strange dog just go on by. I even had that happen with pit bulls. The dang thing sat on my foot and started following me home like he was my dog. LOL.

All dogs are dangerous. Breed is an illusion of danger/safety.

I don't think its a good idea to put your hand down when they should be protecting your throat. You just want to keep your arms tight to your body so it doesn't look like you are raising a hand to the dog.

I agree to not mace. Dogs fight to the death. A little mace will just get them into a frenzy.

I wouldn't put try to stab it or discharge a firearm within city limits either. Bullets don't always kill instantly and the dog will bite the **** out of you until it bleeds to death. That can take a few seconds for the weakness to set in. A large dog only needs .5 seconds to rip your throat out.I mean of course you would have to do something if it was really attacking you but those two would not be a first choice just due to the fact they could cause the dog to attack you more.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM

17,030 posts, read 12,424,116 times
i dont think every dog is quite so viscious. i bet if someone pepper sprayed my dog she would run away crying.

she isnt a mean or aggressive dog, she just likes to scare the crap out of people she doesnt know.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,784,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
And then on the 8th day god created a treadmill.

But here is a link:
How to Avoid a Dog Bite : The Humane Society of the United States

I walk a lot and have dealt with it. I think its easier to deal with while walking because you don't run up on the dog. Every single time I put my hands in front of my throat as locked fists, cover my organs with my arms, and keep my legs closed and stand like a statue letting the strange dog just go on by. I even had that happen with pit bulls. The dang thing sat on my foot and started following me home like he was my dog. LOL.

All dogs are dangerous. Breed is an illusion of danger/safety.

I don't think its a good idea to put your hand down when they should be protecting your throat. You just want to keep your arms tight to your body so it doesn't look like you are raising a hand to the dog.

I agree to not mace. Dogs fight to the death. A little mace will just get them into a frenzy.

I wouldn't put try to stab it or discharge a firearm within city limits either. Bullets don't always kill instantly and the dog will bite the **** out of you until it bleeds to death. That can take a few seconds for the weakness to set in. A large dog only needs .5 seconds to rip your throat out.I mean of course you would have to do something if it was really attacking you but those two would not be a first choice just due to the fact they could cause the dog to attack you more.
Ops, I just can't fathom how the word "attack" is being freely used here. Attacking is an attribute of wild animals, non-domestic. Attack is always offence and not defence. Dogs act or attack, for lack of a better term, only if you encroach into its territory. That's not the way of really attacking organisms like the lion or the tiger. It will follow its prey and attack. That's more of an offensive strategy.

To make a domesticated animal cross over into the offensive territory, it needs the right training. Like the dogs where they unchain and they start their run to attack the nearest passers-by.

When someone runs into a shep which is roaming in its zone, it's very obvious it's going to act crazy. But by the OP's very own admission, it did not bite. So attacking is out of the question. He was merely being protective of his zone. But given the circling... he was probably craving for attention or petting. Timid people.

When I was growing up, a neighbour in the street had a tiger. The OP will probably die on the spot.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,774,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think every dog is quite so viscious. i bet if someone pepper sprayed my dog she would run away crying.

she isnt a mean or aggressive dog, she just likes to scare the crap out of people she doesnt know.

Of course they are not. Animals have temperaments just like people. You get an alpha dog though and you just bough yourself a frenzy ticket. Human example:

Punch Lao in the face =
Punch JustJulia in the face =

Haa haa!

Wait..i dunno..JJ may have secret subnet alpha going on...hmmm...JJ?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM

208 posts, read 228,480 times
I just wanted to add something to my original post.

I live in a pretty nice/safe neighborhood with maybe 80 houses. I choose to run in my neighborhood because I do feel it's safe to be close to home.

I have been running here for 15 years and honestly this is the 1st time a big dog has come after me. I have had others but if I know the dog from seeing it a 1,000 times running then even if it would come out into the street I wouldn't be fearful.

I love animals and and would never want to hurt one but I guess if it came down to protecting myself I would have to.

I chose not to report this to the neighborhood homeowner association because I feel it was just a fluke thing this dog got loose. Even though I said that once before it came after my husband.

I feel I have every right to run or walk in my neighborhood and feel safe from harm. I stay in my neighborhood because I have been chased by dogs when I go outside of it. There are places I would love to run but can not because of dogs running loose.

I as a homeowner try to conduct myself in manner that would not "scare" or harm any of my neighbors. I just feel if you are a homeowner and live in a development like I do that you need to do everything in your power to keep your animal under control.

I know that people who own dogs love them and I respect that. All I ask is that I get some respect in return.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM

17,030 posts, read 12,424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
When I was growing up, a neighbour in the street had a tiger. The OP will probably die on the spot.
if the tiger ran at her in the middle of the street and started growling? id probably crap my pants also.

remember the story not so long ago where a bunch of zoo creatures escaped and they were hunting them down in residential areas? you would hear 911 calls from people "hi, ummm theres a bear on the side of the road." in that case, i couldnt care less about the local carry laws, id have my .45 on me and a shotgun by the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness