U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 AM

20,373 posts, read 16,682,377 times

Advertisements

I suppose you could use the stand your ground law to protect yourself from a threatening dog, the owner may not like it but whats he gonna do.... threaten you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 AM

19,022 posts, read 14,511,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Jogger Kills Dog with Bare Hands - Real Headline

While the link to the story that is on the forum is broken, there is a good discussion about a jogger who killed a dog that attacked him with his bare hands. Personally, I am behind that jogger 100%, not only because he was being chased by a large dog, but also because he was with his son. When I googled a little bit more about it, I learned that the dog's owner claimed that "she had never done that before," and that the jogger needed rabies shots because the dog wasn't up to date with rabies vaccinations. Tells you all that you need to know about what kind of an owner she is. That jogger ought to be commended.

Again, keep your dogs on leashes! Crap like this shouldn't be happening, and runners should be able to train without being afraid of being chased and bitten by dogs. I am sick and tired of stupid owners who believe that their dogs are absolute angels and that one chasing a runner "only wants to play." If a dog comes after me, and I feel threatened by it, I have no problem with beating the hell out of it, possibly to death.
Daddy exacts revenge on a four-legged. That's very brave.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM

7,046 posts, read 9,759,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
And I happen not to give a crap... It's not about knifing dogs or people letting them out either. You've got a lot of reminders to post so everyone gets back on topic. Get moving.
huh? Once more in legible english? Lot of posts where? Get moving where? Are you in the right forum?

Back to the topic - OP, there is a dog forum on this site here as well that might be able to offer good advice. This is a common problem, even for dog lovers. i.e. - a problem with unleashed dogs when we walk our own leashed dogs. There are strategies to avoid dog encounters (for example, don't look a dog in the face, which an alpha dog interprets as a challenge, etc) and many mailmen who also encounter this problem rely on spray.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-05-2012 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM

5,145 posts, read 5,640,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Again, I LOVE dogs. Dogs are considered family. But if I am out running or even walking the 4 year old through the neighborhood and some stupid horrible dog owner somehow lets their dog(s) who look like one of the dogs pictured, somehow get out and start aggressively coming my way, you can guarantee I will have to kill that dog with my karambit. It would 100% be the dog owners fault too.

How would you like to be out on your morning jog or pushing your baby in the stroller and have one of these monsters run up to you growling and barking?

The white one that sat on my foot was built like that last pic (black and white). I was DAMN TERRIFIED as it beelined for me. I just put my arms up and PRAYED. LOL and then he sat on my foot. HAHAA! I will not deny I was mentally preparing for certain death. LOL

I will be walking with one of these big guys:

KaNgaL - YouTube

He can take care of whatever comes our way.

I so seriously want a kangal. Definitely training him in turkish commands.
People should not take untrained dogs out in public. Especially ones that are strong enough to kill someone.
Or move tractors...

Kurdish Kangal Dog Pulls a 4,5 Tons Tractor with its Mouth! - YouTube

DANG. Guess none of you guys want to come up against that one. I will keep him chained for the good of all.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM

17,721 posts, read 14,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetess View Post
Foreal? Cuz that's just dumb and heartless. Yes pitbulls are bad muthaf's no dog will attack you unless you provoke them or approach them in an aggressive manner.
its amazing that in spite of the obvious fact (it must be a fact because a couple of people in this thread have now said it) that dogs dont ever attack people, that so many people are getting bit by dogs. i guess these people must have wanted to get into a fight with a dog when it happened.

you see some people out there that are just irrational in how they defend and love their dogs. its amazing how some people want to liken dogs to children. i have a dog and i have a daughter, i love them both. but there is no comparison between the two. ill kill my dog a thousand times over before id let anything happen to my daughter (fortunately my dog loves my daughter and i consider her a great asset in her protection). i guess some people who dont have kids dont understand the difference.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its amazing that in spite of the obvious fact (it must be a fact because a couple of people in this thread have now said it) that dogs dont ever attack people, that so many people are getting bit by dogs. i guess these people must have wanted to get into a fight with a dog when it happened.

you see some people out there that are just irrational in how they defend and love their dogs. its amazing how some people want to liken dogs to children. i have a dog and i have a daughter, i love them both. but there is no comparison between the two. ill kill my dog a thousand times over before id let anything happen to my daughter (fortunately my dog loves my daughter and i consider her a great asset in her protection). i guess some people who dont have kids dont understand the difference.

I do. Im just letting another dog do the dirty work for me.

My mom got bit by a chow on the arm. She got a new car out of that. The had the thing tied up out in an unfenced yard with a chain for a mini poodle sized dog. I could of probably pulled the chain in two with my hands. It wasn't fixed either which can make them more aggressive and that breed has a tendency to bite/nip. She went to let our lab out on his chain and the chow who saw him a million times before bolted at him, broke the chain and bit my mom when she tried to yank our dog back inside. He got high heels in the balls. It changed his mind about biting her arm. LOL

Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM

17,721 posts, read 14,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I do. Im just letting another dog do the dirty work for me.

My mom got bit by a chow on the arm. She got a new car out of that. The had the thing tied up out in an unfenced yard with a chain for a mini poodle sized dog. I could of probably pulled the chain in two with my hands. It wasn't fixed either which can make them more aggressive and that breed has a tendency to bite/nip. She went to let our lab out on his chain and the chow who saw him a million times before bolted at him, broke the chain and bit my mom when she tried to yank our dog back inside. He got high heels in the balls. It changed his mind about biting her arm. LOL
oh come on, your mom went outside because she wanted to beat the crap out of that chow. he was only defending himself from your moms aggression!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh come on, your mom went outside because she wanted to beat the crap out of that chow. he was only defending himself from your moms aggression!
LOL, I know..how dare she step onto her own back porch.

Actually my father freaked out and said: " They are dogs! Why are you getting in the middle of it. What if that was your face?!" And he walked away swearing about how that dog should die.Then he goes out and buys the neighbors the correct chain. LOL...and then sues them. HAHAHA!

I laugh now as it was forever ago. She had to have plastic surgery on her arm though to fix what the dog did. It was amazing how fast they can put the damage in.

An ex had his face ripped off by a husky as a kid. He was just standing there and had been around the dog. His mother was taking care of it for a neighbor and it just grabbed his face and in two shakes before the mom hit it with a shovel it ripped his entire face off. the rip area happened right under the chin just about an inch from the lethal neck area. He hated the scar that he had from that as he grew it was this slice that went from under the chin to mid cheek. I though it looked neat. It bugged the crap out of him though. They assumed the dog did that because it was old and not used to kids. He was standing between the dog and his food bowl.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM

5,869 posts, read 6,636,984 times
A lot of people in my neighborhood carry a stick when walking or running, because there are packs of stray dogs that roam here.

Some dogs have the chase instinct and they just want to run after anything that's moving. There's a little chihuahua that chases my bike every time I ride past. I've told the owner before that I would never want to hurt his little speed bump, but I think if it was chihuahua vs bicycle, my bike would probably win.

You're a lot more likely to get attacked by other dogs when you're out walking your dog. I've had it happen before. The best thing to do if you only have one dog is pick the dog up and carry it away and hopefully the other dogs will run off. Pepper spray won't really work for that situation because you're likely to spray your own dog as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A lot of people in my neighborhood carry a stick when walking or running, because there are packs of stray dogs that roam here.

Some dogs have the chase instinct and they just want to run after anything that's moving. There's a little chihuahua that chases my bike every time I ride past. I've told the owner before that I would never want to hurt his little speed bump, but I think if it was chihuahua vs bicycle, my bike would probably win.

You're a lot more likely to get attacked by other dogs when you're out walking your dog. I've had it happen before. The best thing to do if you only have one dog is pick the dog up and carry it away and hopefully the other dogs will run off. Pepper spray won't really work for that situation because you're likely to spray your own dog as well.

Ehhh...I don't really recommend bending your face over into the middle of the dog fight. See above for reasons why.

I would be really wary of that especially around strays. They could be stray fighting dogs and they start to train them by killing dogs you can pick up. Dogs like to jump attack bite too...picking them up just puts you in danger as well. They also train them to get aggressive with beatings by a stick. I wouldn't want to remind them of the person they ran away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness