Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Great swimmer. When I was 6 of 7 we got a built in pool. I was terrified of the water. Anyway one bright sunny warm day my Dad threw me in and said, "swim or die". I learned to swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
50 and yes.

I made sure my daughter learned to swim too. It's a safety issue.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Can you swim?

List your AGE and YES or NO.

Tell us why you can't swim.

Me: 38/Yes
Me: 63 yrs old/Yes I can swim. Was learning when I was 4...

Rich

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
31, yes

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
34 and nope. And I'm white.

Statistically, it's uncommon for white people to be unable to swim. Likewise its common for blacks and Hispanics to not swim. Don't know about Asians.

My mom figures its because they put me in lessons at 18-24 months at the Y, and something didn't sit right and I've been scared to death since then.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Dad threw me in the deep end when I was about 5, dog paddled panicked to the edge and he declared me a swimmer and forever more I have been.

50 and a rough water swimmer at La Jolla Cove in the Pacific Ocean, strong but pathetically slow- the old gals seem to kick my ass lol (my excuse I tell myself is that they have more buoyant body fat). I love nothing more than the quiet power of being a mile out from shore, a bit tired and knowing you have to bring forth the moxie to get back into that rhythm of being one with the waves and currents and make your way back all on your own. I never feel more alive than after having finished a particularly challenging ocean swim, with rays, dolphins, seals and yes, sharks (mostly harmless leopards) to surprise you between strokes and sometimes even guide you back into shore.

My mom on the other hand now that is something to see- even when we had a pool when I was a kid whenever she got in it was fascinating to watch; like a wind-up toy with flailing arms and legs splashing about yet no momentum at all beyond a slow sinking to the bottom.

I really feel for folks who can't swim but I don't understand it- it is the most natural thing in the world for me to do, enough so that I often have dreams where I am breathing the cool water like a fish while swimming deep in it.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Dad threw me in the deep end when I was about 5, dog paddled panicked to the edge and he declared me a swimmer and forever more I have been.

50 and a rough water swimmer at La Jolla Cove in the Pacific Ocean, strong but pathetically slow- the old gals seem to kick my ass lol (my excuse I tell myself is that they have more buoyant body fat). I love nothing more than the quiet power of being a mile out from shore, a bit tired and knowing you have to bring forth the moxie to get back into that rhythm of being one with the waves and currents and make your way back all on your own. I never feel more alive than after having finished a particularly challenging ocean swim, with rays, dolphins, seals and yes, sharks (mostly harmless leopards) to surprise you between strokes and sometimes even guide you back into shore.
For anyone curious, La Jolla Cove beach is shown in the below photo, and people here regularly swim from this beach all the way to the beach way off in the upper left, called La Jolla Shores. Like T. Damon mentioned, there are sometimes sharks out there, as well as sting rays.

Personally, I've never done this long ocean swim myself. I just go snorkeling at the Cove.

I've been swimming since I was probably around 7 - 8 years old.

Now, I swim laps at the health club for exercise.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
I'm 34 and I can't swim. It was just something that we did when I was growing up and I have no desire to learn.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
64 and yes, I can. I have a pool in the backyard.

I lived in Hawaii from age 6 to 11 and learned there. My father was intent on making sure I could swim. As a result I turned into a very strong swimmer. Actually, that is the only "sport" I do well.

My mother is 86 and never learned to swim.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
58 and I can swim.

My Mom took my brother and I to the YWCA for swimming lessons when we were little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness