U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,146,939 times
Default Walking and GAINING Weight

Five weeks ago, I started walking on the treadmill and since then have gained 10 freakin lbs! What gives? I use to weigh 304 lbs and am only 5'3" tall and YES was a round polar bear for sure. I joined Weight Watchers, lost 80 lbs and figured I had it beat so continued on my own. The Holidays hit, I gained a few lbs, but lost it right away and was back on board with losing. I wasn't exercising much during that time and was losing regularly. I get on the treadmill and POOF the fat fairy strikes and I am up 10 lbs. I am so damn angry at this whole process but refuse to give up. Any suggestions..what a freakin battle and I am not young..64 years old. The frustrating part is that Cholesterol is low, Sugar is low and all other numbers are perfect. Blood Pressure 120/70...I don't get it???? HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,122,674 times
When you exercise you swell a bit. Its normal. Anything over 10lbs give or take I would go see your doctor about. Take your weight everyday to see how it happens. Take your measurements too. Since you are walking I would use the thigh and waist as trackers. Your legs may go up in measurement during that exercise bloat that happens.

Today just have some hot green tea with lemon and a healthy low sodium intake. It shall pass!

But with the diet thing. Are you doing your WW at home? Tracking food and portions another way?
I just wonder if you went off it and are eating differently. Or if your weight changed so much that you need to eat a little differently now.
That could be a factor as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM

969 posts, read 1,561,441 times
sounds like you need a change. Look into other activities that you might enjoy that will keep you active.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM

5,436 posts, read 6,004,865 times
How do your pants fit around the waist? If they are OK around the waist can the weight gain be from increased leg muscle? Were you eating more as a result of being hungrier from working out? Did your food choices or food intake change?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,910,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I don't get it???? HELP
Its your diet/nutritional intake. Fix it. When I say "fix it" I dont mean eat low sugar this, or low calorie that, I mean eat healthy nutritious foods, stay away from sugar (all types including white breads) eat minimal fruits (never more than the USDA recommended daily) and plenty of green vegs.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,063,094 times
Gaining weight is due to eating more calories than you are burning. Write down everything you eat for the next week or two, your gaining weight will no longer be a mystery.
You can exercise until the cows come home, but if you are not burning as much as you are eating you will gain weight.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,122,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Gaining weight is due to eating more calories than you are burning. Write down everything you eat for the next week or two, your gaining weight will no longer be a mystery.
You can exercise until the cows come home, but if you are not burning as much as you are eating you will gain weight.

Measure and write down.

But 10 lbs could just be from the bloat of exercise or a normal weight variation catching yourself on a higher weight day. Do you weigh daily OP?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM

17,228 posts, read 13,241,627 times
you gained the weight because you ate more to reward yourself for the "exercise."

Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM

16,771 posts, read 10,777,805 times
Up your intensity. Do intervals. Walk for 5 minutes at normal pace. Then go faster for a minute. Repeat this the entire time you are on the treadmill. You can shorten the "normal" time as well. Normal 2 minutes. Fast 1 minute.

Also track your calories as well and measure how much you are eating.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM

2,896 posts, read 3,255,014 times
The OP is 64 years old, overweight and just starting out exercising. Advising them to "up the intensity" is terrible advice and will only lead to injury or them giving up. Upping the intensity is for people who have been exercising a long time and are fit enough to accomplish this.

The OP should continue walking at whatever pace they feel comfortable at. If it's slow, it's slow, they're a beginner. Their goal is to avoid injury and slowly increase the duration of their walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness