Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

I thought walking or jogging were very popular in the US. Maybe it depends on which part of the country you live in...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought walking or jogging were very popular in the US. Maybe it depends on which part of the country you live in...?
As exercise, I see people doing it pretty much everywhere I've been.

As a form of getting from Pt.A to Pt.B without people giving you the evil-eye, only some places.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
I am really relating to this post, it's certainly this way where I am. I am heartened to see more people biking to work, and that's being presented as something anyone can do, but walking is seen as reserved for people who can't afford a car.

Many people are also afraid of crime as you describe, but honestly, random accosting of strangers doesn't happen that frequently here. When it does, though, it's big news, which pushes people away from walking.

Our city, too, has lots of suburbs and spread-out areas, where driving is a necessity. Our public transit is certainly seen as for the poor, unless you live where the express service runs, during morning and evening rush hour. I live in a very walkable area of the city, but rarely see anyone walking. I'm walking more, as every time I get in my car, I'm aware of how the emissions are poisoning our Earth, and using gasoline is supporting huge corporate interests that put profits above people, but I'm certainly guilty of driving the 4 blocks to Trader Joe's, too.

That being said - more walkable communities are being built, and I do see lots of people walking to run errands in those areas. These are usually more expensive, so it doesn't come with the stigma it might somewhere else.

Walking needs a good PR campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Where I live there is a growing uneven split between upper middle class/rich people and poor people. This is happening all across the nation. The upper middle class and wealthy demographic never walks anywhere for utility purposes because it's not necessary. When the upper middle class people are out and about and not driving, they are jogging or riding bicycles for exercise purposes strictly. Where I live, you will never catch an upper middle class or rich person walking to the store in casual clothes; when they are out on the paths, they are decked out in goofy exercise tights and are jogging or riding bikes. This is because the more privileged demographic is more entitled to drive everywhere instead of walk because America is all about doing everything as quickly and efficiently as possible. We Americans in large metro areas are often in a rush even when we don't have anywhere to go! The poor people in my town who live in public housing live within a short walking distance of the amenities of the local supermarket, McDonald's and liquor store. These are the only people who are constantly walking. The public transit where I live is notoriously unreliable. This is why the upper middle class demographic who have cars never ride the bus unless it is a 9-5 commuter bus into DC or Baltimore, which is more economical than driving to and from work everyday in bumper-to-bumper traffic at $4+ a gallon. Buses only come by stops about once an hour. Although Blacks and Latinos collectively only make up 30% of my town, they make up 90-95% of the people who ride public transit. Some of my friends call the bus stop "the Section 8 stop"; which is a fitting title.

If you walk the streets of any town or city in America, you run a high risk of being robbed or assaulted. Anyone can be a target for robbery as robbers target common personal items like iphones and Nike shoes. Muggers and robbers are opportunists who take advantage of the fact that most civilians don't carry concealed weapons for self defense. Robbers also never fight fair and usually carry knives and guns and or roam the streets in groups which gives these cowards the guts to rob normal people minding their own business walking by themselves. When you are walking, you are at the complete mercy of the streets as most of us common folks don't have body guards and the cops can never be everywhere all the time. I've been robbed while out walking on the paths in my town in broad daylight last year and I live in what is known to be a safe low crime area. It was a very scary experience that made me rethink walking when I have a car. The huge growing economic gap in America is causing poor people to resort to robbery. The robbery rate in DC is way up as of this year.

Violent crime in D.C. surges in 2012 - Washington Times

People of all incomes and backgrounds are more likely to walk and use public transit in big cities with good public transit like New York and San Francisco. In NYC, everyone rides the subway from the big wigs on Wall Street to the hoodrats from the highrise projects in Harlem. Public transit is so efficient in many big cities that having a car is not necessary. NYC and SF are good examples.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Even going back to my vegetable garden is a hike for me...
Yes, a "drivable" distance even.

I don't mind walking.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
My subdivision is full of people walking and running all the time, especially in the early morning and evenings when it's not so hot. We have walking trails and sidewalks that are always utilized, but it's strictly for recreational purposes. No one except bored tweens/teens actually walk from point A to point B. It's a mile or more just to get out of the subdivision and another half a mile to the nearest store/business. It's just not practical here, as a mode of transportation.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
Chain link fences. If you try to take a short cut anywhere, you run into a chain link fence. The good news is that somebody has already cut through most of them, and nobody repairs them.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Chain link fences. If you try to take a short cut anywhere, you run into a chain link fence. The good news is that somebody has already cut through most of them, and nobody repairs them.
Huh? Where do you live? Don't think that is really good news. Would you like people cutting your fence so they could walk thru your yard?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I just do not trust city people enough with the violent crime in my city. Also do not trust the terribad drivers. However I walk lots on lunch around my work. Thankfully we are part of a huge outdoor shopping area.
I went for a walk in Ohio once. A town called Zanesville. I had gotten off a Greyhound bus on a Saturday night. I walked through town looking for a motel. Never saw one person walking, just cars. I found a motel, the nice lady said "I did'nt see your cab." "I did'nt have one, I walked from the bus stop" I replied. Her eyes went like golfballs, "you don't walk! You could have been killed!!!"...........

Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It is popular for scheduled exercise, but not an everyday form of transit.

The same people who jog 7 miles a day, don't walk 3 blocks to the grocery store.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
When I lived in a semi-rural area, perhaps more rural than what the OP is talking about, the nearest store was a gas station that was three miles away. Until with in the past couple of years we would have to drive ten-fifteen minutes to get groceries. So walking or biking any where other than church or school, which was less than a quarter-mile, was not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness