Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times

Advertisements

I've started walking outside for exercise. Mostly because I just bought the app "Zombie Run", so I can pretend I'm being chased by undead hordes while I walk.

I'd say my pace is moderate. I'm trying to walk five minutes longer each day and I'm up to 30 minutes.

Is just walking accomplishing anything 'real' for me health-wise? My heart rate feels slightly elevated, but nothing like if I was running or biking (though I do get plenty sweaty). Or does just walking not really 'count' as exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Are you kidding?
Walking is G R E A A A A A T!
Think about it...your not sitting on the couch.
Your moving....and that's what it's all about.
The more you move the better. The faster you move the better. Just keep moving.
Your already ahead of the game seeing as most Americans don't do anything.
Keep on walking. Your body will thank you.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,532 times
I don't know what your goals are and how old you are but walking is better than not doing anything. However, if you're serious about getting fit you will need to increase the intensity of your exercise.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
If you're on the light side, you might have to jog/run to get the same benefits that a heavier person gets while walking.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM

I'm 31, about 5'4 and weigh 126. I'm not terribly unhappy with my weight- I do have a bit of a belly and could stand to lose five pounds or so, but I'm more concerned about being healthier overall. I spend 98% of my time in front of one computer or another.

So I guess I should kick it up a notch and start running?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm 31, about 5'4 and weigh 126. I'm not terribly unhappy with my weight- I do have a bit of a belly and could stand to lose five pounds or so, but I'm more concerned about being healthier overall. I spend 98% of my time in front of one computer or another.

So I guess I should kick it up a notch and start running?
If it were me, I would spend a few weeks walking at a brisk pace (including hills) for 30 minutes straight. You want to make sure that your leg muscles are fairly strong when you first start jogging (if leg muscles are weak, it's easy to twist an ankle).

When you feel that you're ready, start off by doing intervals.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If it were me, I would spend a few weeks walking at a brisk pace (including hills) for 30 minutes straight. You want to make sure that your leg muscles are fairly strong when you first start jogging (if leg muscles are weak, it's easy to twist an ankle).

When you feel that you're ready, start off by doing intervals.
That makes a lot of sense- I was worried about hurting myself.

I'm lucky I guess in that my neighborhood is very hilly- my street is actually a very steep hill and I can really feel the difference going up vs. coming down.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Walking never much gets much respect about being who exercise and this has always baffled me.

YES, walking is beneficial for you! However,I strongly disagree with the advice that you need to start running. Please don't do this until you have been walking for a little longer. You should a base of walking 18-20 miles a week for a couple of months (you said you just started walking).

After you have this base, then start mixing in jogging with walking. Don't use the watch, this is a huge mistake novice runners make. Just run for a minute or two and then walk. When you feel like running again, do so, but increase your running incrementally. Within a month or so, you will be surprised to see how much of your walk you're actually running. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Its better than sitting/standing around - so yes - any activity is an improvement!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Walking never much gets much respect about being who exercise and this has always baffled me.

YES, walking is beneficial for you! However,I strongly disagree with the advice that you need to start running. Please don't do this until you have been walking for a little longer. You should a base of walking 18-20 miles a week for a couple of months (you said you just started walking).

After you have this base, then start mixing in jogging with walking. Don't use the watch, this is a huge mistake novice runners make. Just run for a minute or two and then walk. When you feel like running again, do so, but increase your running incrementally. Within a month or so, you will be surprised to see how much of your walk you're actually running. Good luck!
I don't disagree with you at all. Walking is a very beneficial exercise. In fact, walking is my own preferred form of exercise. But lighter weight people won't get the same bone density building benefits from walking that a heavier person gets.

I'm not a jogger/runner myself so I will defer to others with regards to when/how to do intervals. I do know that a lot of people skip walking and go straight to jogging/running which is a mistake. It's best to develop muscles through walking first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness