Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 AM

56 posts, read 356,325 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have suggestions for beginning yoga with a specific physical limitation? I'd prefer to start at home with a DVD if I can. With the beginner's programs I've tried, a lot of the moves are not OK for someone with a total hip replacement, so I have to try to guess how far to go and which moves to avoid. Some of the positions are obviously completely off-limits, others would be OK with a few modifications (or OK to do on my right side but not my left, etc.), but being a beginner I don't know what's safe or not, or how to make the modifications. The programs I've found that are made for people with limitations seem to be geared for elderly people who are almost completely incapacitated, just breathing exercises and minimal movement while seated in a chair. I'm 41 and really only have the hip replacement limitation. Does anyone know of a DVD or program that would be helpful? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
The only yoga instructor I like is Patricia Walden. She has some beautiful and simple DVDs on beginner's yoga. If you will go to amazon.com and put in her name, they will come up.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 AM

85 posts, read 287,474 times
Check out
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/596_1.cfm

Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Look up some Yoga classes on google and read the reviews.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
A DVD can NEVER replace the guidance & correction of an instructor especially when it is a rehab-focused program one is looking for. Not all instructors are equally good. Look for one that has more than a basic certification, with rehab or Pilates certification/experience.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
The beauty of yoga - either in a classroom or on a DVD -is that there is no expectation from anyone for you to be an over achiever. Yoga participants are not focused at all on what other people are doing. The key to yoga is inner focus.

If it hurts, don't do it.

Yoga encourages slow stretching and movements so it's pretty easy to tell if you are overdoing something - your body will tell you. I tore my achilles tendon a few years ago and when I go to yoga classes, I can't do all the moves. I just do what I can.

Good luck. I love yoga and think it's excellent for both rehab and overall health.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,916 times
I have started my yoga classes last month.
Yoga is a good exercise for the health and fitness.
It improves both physical and mental health and prevents from a number of diseases such as blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems and stomach problems.
It is also very helpful for the stress, depression, and anxiety relieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness