Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I am going to cancel my membership at 24 Hour Fitness this weekend as I have joined a new gym closer to home that is much nicer (and cheaper)...a lot of my peeves are 24 Hour Fitness-related but some are general.

I HATE how they never CLEAN the machines. They're disgusting.

I hate how machines will be broken for weeks on end.

I hate how the place is like a freaking greenhouse in summer so they put all these floor fans out and princesses will get on a machine and point the fan directly at THEMSELVES instead of letting it oscillate so we can all enjoy it.

I hate how the weight dudes sweat all over the weight benches and machines and don't wipe them down. YOU ARE NASTY.

If you're sick, DON'T COME TO THE GYM.

If you have kids, don't let them run around the gym. The gym is for grownups. Personally I think there should be a separate entrance for a childcare center and nobody under 18 should ever be allowed into the actual gym. No exceptions. I've done group fitness classes at 24 Hour Fitness where peoples' toddlers have been wandering around at the back of the room. Unacceptable. I've also had to pause while lifting free weights or using machines because peoples' young children were wandering around and I did not want to hit them with weights. Of course, you can't tell them to get out of the way because their moms will POUNCE on you and call you a child-hater. I don't hate children, but I DO hate children IN THE GYM. I think YOU hate your children for letting them wander around in the gym where they could get hurt.

Speaking of group fitness classes...there is a limit to how many people can fit in a room and how much equipment there is. I hate it when group fitness teachers let a class get so packed that we hardly have any room to move around. That's BS. Say the class is full and don't let anyone else in. Period.

Ladies...I am female and I have seen what you do in the bathroom. You are gross.

Ladies...don't wear PERFUME to the gym. I hate it when you get on the machine next to me and I can smell your cheap drugstore 'body spray' or heavy perfume. You STINK. Stop it.

Guys...I don't know if you're aware of this, but your sweat stinks. Bring a towel and wipe yourself AND the equipment down. Nobody wants to sit in a puddle of your stinky man sweat.

I agree many irritations are 24 hour fitness related. I have never been impressed with their clientele. Although it can change from one location to another. Just as the cleanliness changes from one location to the other. Sometimes anyway. I only pay $99.00 a year or I would have dropped them years ago. I have belonged to the chain for about 9 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Aren't most 24 hour fitness' huge with like, swimming pools and jungle gyms for the kids?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Aren't most 24 hour fitness' huge with like, swimming pools and jungle gyms for the kids?

Most are and then you will find some locations in some cities with much less. I have been to one location in Aurora, Colorado. It was very small and called a 24 hour express. Just some basic equipment, cardio and that was it. They have several types of gyms and memberships. Super Sport, Sport Club and I guess the Express style. You buy a membership pertaining to the type club you want, or what is available in your area. So the super sport all have pools, and the majority of Sport clubs do also but not all. I think just about all of them have something for kids. Though I think its more along the lines of daycare, while their parents workout.

What has amazed me most about this gym chain, is how the upkeep and clientele can really change and fast. Some are beyond filthy and have serious problems with lockers being broken into. Then you will go another location that seems very well taken care of, and the members don't give you the feeling of. I have to check my locker every few minutes.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I think it has more to do with maybe the cost of the gym directly correlates with the clientele. Or the neighborhood it's in of course.

Obviously a cheap gym will attract everyone, so you will have all kinds of people. Mainly however it will be people who don't take care of their own belongings, let alone equipment for public use.

I have 2 temporary gym memberships and 1 permanent one. (The permanent one is through work but not convenient to home and 2 temps I am trying to see which I like better).

Of the permanent one which is Crunch, the gym has been crowded no matter which location or time of day. The facilities are kept clean however. The average rate is about $60 per month.

I tried Bally's which is $25 a month. It's a mess, overcrowded, the equipment is old, and the people there don't seem to give a damn about etiquette. I'm afraid to go anywhere near the pool judging by the people in it and the fact it didn't look clean on the 2 times I went.

I've heard the same complaint about Planet Fitness since they're $10 a month that it gets overcrowded and people are not courteous at all.

NYSC is about $90 a month for a membership to all locations. So of course this one is well maintained, new equipment and people are fairly courteous. I would gladly go with this gym if I could justify the expense.

There is one other gym close by which is Dolphin and about $200 for the year. It's on par with NYSC, but every time I turn around they close a location, so not sure how much longer they will last.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,244 times
1. well i really don't like people using my watter bottle
2. towel swap accidently,
3. people who don't wipe sweat off their faces when ask for spotting

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
People drink from your water bottle? Why would...how is that even possible?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,707 times
I go to two gyms: a boxing gym for my training and a regular gym for my weight training and other fitness activities. I LOVE "dungeon" type gyms, and I wish I could find a gym like that for my latter gym.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltnet View Post
3. people who don't wipe sweat off their faces when ask for spotting
I think what is even worse, is when the spotter is dripping their sweat all over my face! I will never again ask a fellow gym rat to spot me!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
Default squeaky equipment

Happened to me this a.m. on the elliptical - a guy gets on one and it starts squeaking - loudly. Why wouldn't he get off right away and pick on of the other 15 that were available and don't squeak? He didn't have headphones so I know he could hear it. Maybe he thought it would stop after a few minutes - but it didn't.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
People on the treadmills wearing HOODIES! It's so ghetto, and actually forbidden at my club.

Onlyb baseball caps are allowed, which sometimes look stupid. Why not just workout sans head attire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness