U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM

494 posts, read 704,728 times

Advertisements

I just finished my first Crossfit class a day ago. I found the workout extremely intense and I barely was able to get it completed. I haven't worked out in a few years and was out of shape (I'm not too overweight though..5'6, 145ish).

Initially I did great but the reps are what killed me as I didn't have the endurance so it quickly went downhill the longer I went right upto the point that I totally shocked my body into failure and could not continue.

Yet, the trainers pushed me and told me to finish...just a little more etc. Is this even safe? I read on the web that one can get kidney failure by broken down muscle in the bloodstream...this is scaring me!

After the workout I was so spent I could not even drive back, was just sitting in my car in a daze for about 10 mins and was even feeling sick.

I have the 2nd Crossfit session today...my body is still very sore from day before yesterday and I am wondering if I should just continue and see what I can do or should I just call it quits?

I'm thinking I will just do cardio and light weight training in my gym at my own pace so I can gradually ease into it rather than this shock and awe Crossfit method which may be unsafe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM

511 posts, read 488,124 times
It's definitely unsafe...on your wallet.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
It's definitely unsafe...on your wallet.
Hi Howiester, I am doing it on a $50 for 1 month and 5 sessions promotion, thought it was a good deal to just "try it out" so at least so far no problems on my wallet...

I do like the exercises, squats, pushups, pullups, running - nothing out of the ordinary, seem like routine stuff but I do not like the approach of pushing the body to the extreme breaking point, timing it and not stopping - this could lead to injury for people new to fitness.

In my opinion Crossfit seems more beneficial to those that are already in peak physical shape trying to improve their endurance to the extreme rather than regular joes that are trying to be fit - however it is marketed like it is for the latter.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,706,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
In my opinion Crossfit seems more beneficial to those that are already in peak physical shape trying to improve their endurance to the extreme rather than regular joes that are trying to be fit - however it is marketed like it is for the latter.
This is my opinion as well. In a money-grab they are attempting to widen their market. I think if the trainers and students were more familiar with how to push the limits safely it could be effective for everyone of all fitness levels. There's a lot of good stuff in the program, but the implementation is a whole lot more complex than most members and trainers see it.

I know many crossfitters and not a single one hasn't injured themselves at least once at Crossfit. Say all you want about proper technique and the expertise of trainers, but this trend is very real. Plenty of people don't hurts themselves, but way too many do.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM

21,383 posts, read 23,055,422 times
The crossfit cult: Trainers scamming people all over again
Crossfit people, question
CrossFit

Is CrossFit safe? | Paradigm Performance
Crossfit, Is it a Safe Program? | Trifuel
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM

elnina, thanks for those links...very informative.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,611,173 times
The links El Nina posted seem to be primarily negative against CrossFit by those who dont do Crossfit. Or those who "I tried it once" types. I really really really like Crossfit. A lot. Its perfect for someone like me who just wants to be in the best shape possible. I dont want to get huge, I dont want to get a marathon runner skinny. I just want to be in the best shape for ME. That is why the workouts are so great. They are scalable to YOU and YOUR level.

How about talking to those who are in your crossfit gym about if its safe or not.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,597,729 times
CrossFit Criteria by Greg Everett - Training: General - Catalyst Athletics Articles

Quote:
One argument that has remained in play and wholly with merit from the earliest days is that of technical performance and the possible compromises that arise from racing a clock. . .
Just as we need to prepare for the full range of possible motion, we need to prepare for the spectrum of other parameters such as time, speed, and loading. At present, CrossFit is essentially split into two basic training categories—strength and metabolic conditioning. In the strength category, technique has been prescribed clearly and is generally adhered to without resistance. However, on the metabolic side, technique suddenly becomes open to interpretation, even in consideration of the same movements seen in the strength realm.
That leads into...

CrossFit to Weightlifting: Kicking the (metCon) Habit by Jocelyn Forest - Training: General - Catalyst Athletics Articles

which....

Just reread CrossFit Journal on Metabolic Conditioning... - Catalyst Athletics Forums

Quote:
The association with Reebok may end up killing Crossfit or eventually marginalizing it. Or, it may make "The Sport of Crossfit" a big dollar reality. Fit, athletic bodies wearing next to nothing is exciting to watch, I guess, if you've got enough cameras and on the fly editing capability. Glassman was right when he said "people will die for points"...that is, perhaps, the biggest issue boiled down to it's purest form.
You probably won't look as good as the CF athletes they show on TV. That seems what most people believe..

To Lao: Exercise in general is scalable...not just CF.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM

17,606 posts, read 14,176,711 times
i guess whenever you are pushing yourself harder than you ever have, the potential is there that you could be pushing too hard. im not really sure how risky it is to push yourself too hard, ive only seen a couple of people have issues in my years in the gym. i dont go to a crossfit gym though.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is why the workouts are so great. They are scalable to YOU and YOUR level.

How about talking to those who are in your crossfit gym about if its safe or not.
This is not what I felt, it is not Scalable and they don't make an effort to make it scalable...

My fitness level was never evaluated, being my first day they didn't care if I was going to injure myself doing the workout or not, all they cared about was getting the workout done...no matter what the cost, seemed like that was the attitude...to persevere and finish no matter what....

My fitness level is average, since I do go to the gym 3 times a week and each time do a 1 hour cardio session, but I have NEVER done strength training which is what is required for the huge loop of pushups, pullups, squats etc. your muscles have to have that kind of endurance to do it nonstop...

You cannot just ask someone who has never done resistance training to do 80 squats, 60 situps, 40 pushups, 20 pullups, 10 boxjumps and this is after running 1.5 kilometers nonstop. This routine REQUIRES one to be extremely fit to complete so it's not a program to GAIN extreme fitness.

You see, I didn't know what exactly Crossfit was until I was in the session, and once I was in the session I was put under intense pressure to continue till the end within the timeframe that others in my group were doing it, these other people were friends of mine who were more overweight than me but managed to finish the workout with much more success than me - afterwards they told me that they had done strength training before which explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness