U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM

239 posts, read 479,561 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'll try not to make this too long a post, but I need some suggestions or information.
I had a tragedy in my life back in 2009, since then I have become clinically depressed and have massive panic attacks if I leave my home.
Because I am so inactive, in less than 3 years I have gained nearly 100 pounds!
My last doctor's visit I weighed in at 274. I am 5'9, 49 y.o. woman, shockingly I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure!

I do have a tough time catching my breath if I do anything more strenuous than walking to/from the bathroom.

I'm desperate to lose weight and get healthier, physically anyway. I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment, so I have to be considerate of my downstairs neighbor when selecting an exercise (i.e. no running in place or treadmill).

i was thinking of getting a WII..had one several yrs ago and I remember the boxing and even bowling worked up my heartrate.

Thanks for reading my post and for any suggestions or help you may offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,225,168 times
It sounds as though you've been on a real roller coaster these past few years, I'm sorry. It can be tough to start up a fitness routine after a lengthy period of inactivity and weight gain. But it can be done and I think a WII could be a good start for you.

I enjoy playing WII sports and if I stand up and really get into it I can work up a bit of a sweat. It's fun and it doesn't feel like "exercise" to me.

Aside from that, you should really focus on your diet. Eat as close to nature as you can, limit processed foods and watch the calories.

I hope that you start to feel better soon.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,698,991 times
I am also sorry about your challenges...

The Wii is great and there are also great workout videos available as well.
If you have an exercise ball, there are many different workouts that can be done with them...

Good luck to you ~

Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM

9,473 posts, read 11,693,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
Hello all,
I'll try not to make this too long a post, but I need some suggestions or information.
I had a tragedy in my life back in 2009, since then I have become clinically depressed and have massive panic attacks if I leave my home.
Because I am so inactive, in less than 3 years I have gained nearly 100 pounds!
My last doctor's visit I weighed in at 274. I am 5'9, 49 y.o. woman, shockingly I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure!

I do have a tough time catching my breath if I do anything more strenuous than walking to/from the bathroom.

I'm desperate to lose weight and get healthier, physically anyway. I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment, so I have to be considerate of my downstairs neighbor when selecting an exercise (i.e. no running in place or treadmill).

i was thinking of getting a WII..had one several yrs ago and I remember the boxing and even bowling worked up my heartrate.

Thanks for reading my post and for any suggestions or help you may offer.
Sorry to hear that you've suffered through a tragedy, but let me say that it's really exemplary and admirable of you to be able to finally look at your life and say that not only does it need a change, but that you want it to change.

A lot of people will think that they want it, but they don't actually want to go down the road of changing things up.

If the Wii fitness games got you active and you feel that it'll work for you, then I'd say that you should absolutely get another one! You can always try out new routines later, after you're ready to. As I posted in another thread, around the time I was sixteen, I weighed just under three hundred pounds at 5'11. I could run about halfway down the block before my legs were ready to give out and my chest was heaving. What I did was go to a secluded area, late at night, and basically jog at my own pace, as far as I could, until I was too tired to press on. It was the first step on a long road that's led to a place I'm VERY happy with.

Other things you should consider would be getting a kettlebell or set of weights - you can find lower-weight sets in the 1-5 lb range at Ross. When I was still a bit too heavy to run or do cardio for too long, I found that lifting weights helped me a ton just in getting my body back into the swing of things. A set of low-weight ankle or wrist weights (again, you can get them pretty cheap in the 1-5lb range) can help, too, especially if you're doing Wii or aerobic video-based stuff.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,325,622 times
Do you suffer from actual, clinically defined panic attacks when you leave your apartment, i.e., you get dizzy, nauseous, can't breathe, get chills, get the sweats, feel like you're choking, experience derealization/depersonalization and/or feel like you're gonna have a heart attack? If so, are you getting any professional help/therapy to deal with this? You have to deal psychologically/emotionally with these panic attacks first because they are the root of your problem...not the weight gain. The weight gain is merely a symptom of what's going on in your head. Losing 100 pounds will not make your panic attacks (or your severe depression, for that matter) go away.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you actually have is some mild agoraphobia/anxiety about going outside into the world because of your weight gain. The reason I think this is because if you can leave your apartment to go to the doctor, and if you can leave your apartment to go buy a Wii, than you can leave your apartment. Period. Even to exercise. And not just to exercise, but TO NOT ISOLATE. Which is what you are doing, it seems. And that is only exacerbating your severe depression. It's a vicious cycle. Just being outside in the sun, whether or not you're exercising, will help to alleviate depression.

I understand the fear, anxiety, the embarrassment of going outside to start a walking or other fitness regimen. The person above me posted about starting out by going to a SECLUDED area, LATE AT NIGHT to start his/her fitness routine. This is something I hear a lot. It pisses me off because I know that the reason people feel this way...the need to hide...is because there are JERKS out there that make them feel this way. I know you might have experienced staring, smirking or even rude comments/jokes/insults. I don't know what to tell you. People are idiots. However, there are far many more people out there that are encouraging and would think you are admirable for making an effort to lose weight. The kind of obnoxious bonehead that makes fun of or derides overweight people...but then ridicules them for trying to fix the problem...is not worth 1 second of your consideration. I wonder if they also ridicule addicts/alcoholics that are trying to get sober, or illiterate people trying to learn how to read, or any other newbie in any other arena in life that is trying to better his/herself? Again, only an imbecile would do such things, so if such a mentally challenged person gives you crap about your weight/appearance when you are exercising, just ignore them. I know that's easier said than done, but you are only letting the morons of the world win, if you let them defeat you like this.

And another thing--I actually have more respect for a 300 pound person out there on the streets, huffing and puffing, red in the face, and sweating their arse off, even if they are "only" just walking, than I do for a 120 pound person that's jogging along, all la-di-da, and not expending all that much effort. Why? The 300 pound person is working 3 times as hard, and I RESPECT that.

Now, there's nothing wrong with buying a Wii. However, you are going to need a fitness regimen beyond what the Wii has to offer if you want to lose weight. The Wii, by itself, is not going to cut it. You have to leave your apartment. You have to start walking. Maybe in the beginning, you can also do some low impact aerobic DVDs within your apartment. You can do some right now...you can find videos posted on line, for free. For example:

FULL EPISODE "Low and Luscious" low impact cardio and curves training-- Real Hollywood Trainer - YouTube

Just do a Google video search for 'low impact cardio' or 'low impact aerobics'. You'll find a bunch more.

Step aerobics are another low impact alternative (you can find an aerobic step at most sporting goods stores, or if you really don't want to leave your apartment, you can find one on Amazon...DVDs too, of course). I don't think low impact aerobics or step aerobics should bother your downstairs neighbors in the same way as jogging in place or high intensity jumping around. However, if they do cause too much noise, try to figure out when your neighbors are not home. They can't also be home all day, everyday.

Good luck. You can do this.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM

239 posts, read 479,561 times
Its actual panic attacks. I have been diagnosed and I am under a doctor's care.
When I go to the doctor's I am medicated with anti anxiety drugs and driven there. As far as going out to buy a WII, no way...I spend hundreds at Amazon.Com every month for various grocery/personal care items.
Thank you for your information though, I can do some of those exercises without disturbing my neighbors. I am very conscious of how noisy I am because the neighbor above me is so noisy, lol.

Thanks again folk for giving me info & encouragement, its much appreciated.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM

13,765 posts, read 18,610,198 times
Sorry to hear about your situation in every aspect. Can you maybe start with walking up and down the stairs at your apartment or small walks around the bldg?? Maybe buy some headphones to keep you distracted??? Ask a friend to join you?? I honestly do not know anything about your anxiety situation but am trying to give you some suggestions so your not housebound..Good luck!!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,788,467 times
Is is too crazy to get an exercise bike to use it while watching TV? This way you won't make any noises that could bother your neighbors, and you'll be in an environment you know. I read this is important for people with anxiety/panic attacks.

Amazon delivers directly to your door, or Craigslist have cheaper alternatives.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 AM

12,054 posts, read 18,409,194 times
There are several things that I would suggest. If you have On Demand, look at the exercise shows. Another is Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home collection. Her DVD's are from one mile to five miles and will give you a good cardio workout at home and at your own pace. You can find them everywhere. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,503,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Is is too crazy to get an exercise bike to use it while watching TV? This way you won't make any noises that could bother your neighbors, and you'll be in an environment you know. I read this is important for people with anxiety/panic attacks.

Amazon delivers directly to your door, or Craigslist have cheaper alternatives.
I bought this folding recumbent bike before Christmas & it's pretty much silent. Perfect for watching tv and then it folds up so you can store it. For the price the quality is quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness