U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM

830 posts, read 669,211 times
Default Massage for Fit People

I am way too cheap to spend the money on massage, but I did have one yesterday because it was reimbursed (I did it as a mystery/secret shopper!). I've heard people talk about how fabulous they are. It wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't achieve this wondrous state of relaxation. Didn't even get sleepy! For a lot of the massage, I felt like it was just having lotion rubbed on my arms and legs. With the back, there was a bit more pressure. No way would I pay $70 for it and then the tip.

I left not feeling any different than when I arrived! Earlier in the day, I took a Latin dance class for one hour and then did yoga for one hour, followed by the hot tub and sauna. Doing a routine like this daily keeps me feeling unstressed and pretty limber. I honestly achieve more relaxation at the end of a vigorous yoga class lying in corpse pose for ten minutes than being on the massage table for 60! No aches and pains to speak of. So---maybe it wasn't possible to feel any better! I'm glad that I know now that I am not missing anything. I'd rather keep the money!

I'm wondering---is massage really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains? If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM

156 posts, read 204,007 times
I lift heavy 4 days per week and do cardio circuit training 2 days per week. I would say that I am pretty fit. I get a massage at least 1x / month, usually more. I have so many nagging aches / pains / muscle soreness from all of the activity that I do, the massage helps to relieve it. There are many different types of massage techniques. I typically get a hybrid of deep tissue / sports massage. That swedish / light touch massage does nothing for me.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,518,445 times
No. Never.

You really need to research and find through word of mouth maybe, a good massage therapist. If you're looking for a massage to get out knots and relax muscles, you need a deep tissue/sport massage. Yoga and stretching isn't enough. The closest thing to a massage without paying for it, is a foam roller..rumble roller, or lacrosse ball.

I bet, when you start using the foam roller (IT band, hamstrings, quads, upper back)... you'll find some spots that you never knew you had.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM

25,152 posts, read 30,803,918 times
You're just not working with the therapist that's right for you. Fit or not fit has nothing to do with the benefits of massage.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM

One hour latin dance class doesn't qualify you as fit, either.

=)

Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM

830 posts, read 669,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
One hour latin dance class doesn't qualify you as fit, either.

=)
I would agree that just a dance class doesn't automatically result in fitness---but I'd like to think that three to four hours of yoga a week, two hours of dance, two hours of weights, three hours of water aerobics, two hours of kickboxing or step, etc. plus walking makes me reasonably fit, 'specially at my age!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM

The more fit you are, the most likely you are to need a massage. If you're getting a massage and it's not doing anything for you, you're either not fit or the massage therapist sucks.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM

3,130 posts, read 1,522,540 times
I used to love massages but, like you, I no longer get much benefit now that I'm regularly doing yoga, tai chi, and stretching. It's not that it doesn't feel good, it's that I don't feel any better post-massage than I do post-workout. I'm loose, limber, relaxed, pleasantly sore.
So - one more benefit of working out, I save the $$ I used to pay my masseuses.

It's not the therapist; I used the same 2 therapists I had been using for some 8 years. After working out for 2-3 years, I last year realized I didn't need them anymore, so gave them some 'good-bye and thanks' gift cards.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 PM

3,130 posts, read 1,522,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
The more fit you are, the most likely you are to need a massage. If you're getting a massage and it's not doing anything for you, you're either not fit or the massage therapist sucks.
Speak for yourself. Massage therapists have nothing to offer me, in the way of muscle stretch and subsequent relaxation, since I mastered the deep muscle stretch and subsequent relaxation from poses like the Pigeon Pose of the Month: Pigeon Pose | Active.com

edited to correct silly typo

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Doing your tricep kickbacks and using the yes-no machine doesn't qualify for being fit, neither does Yoga, Tai-Chi and stretching give you the automatic fit card.

I know plenty of people that think they 'stretch' are 'loose' 'limber' and 'sore'. But, in reality.. they aren't. Then again, everyones idea of fitness, flexability is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness