Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Insanity is harder than p90x - it's just more intense.

I am using Insanity program as the second cardio workout my trainer wants me to do.
I could just run or elliptical, but that bores me to death.

One insanity workout hits peak heart rate fast and burns like 450 calories in 40 minutes.

Then my trainer and I can work on other stuff, like lifting, core, joint work, etc.

Hey, I was proud that I got through all 3 rounds of the warm up AT SPEED, keeping up with all the people on the tv...no breaks. That's a loooooooong 10 minutes, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Insanity is harder than p90x - it's just more intense.

I am using Insanity program as the second cardio workout my trainer wants me to do.

One insanity workout hits peak heart rate fast and burns like 450 calories in 40 minutes.

Then my trainer and I can work on other stuff, like lifting, core, joint work, etc.

Hey, I was proud that I got through all 3 rounds of the warm up AT SPEED, keeping up with all the people on the tv...no breaks. That's a loooooooong 10 minutes, man.
Agreed, treadmill work is torture, insanity at least adds entertainment to the torture and pushes you harder.

It's full on circuit work, great conditioning work for 6-8 weeks at a time but I would suggest going back to a standard weight training routine after completion to build muscle.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Agreed, treadmill work is torture, insanity at least adds entertainment to the torture and pushes you harder.

It's full on circuit work, great conditioning work for 6-8 weeks at a time but I would suggest going back to a standard weight training routine after completion to build muscle.
It's an also, not an instead.
My trainer and I work together four time a week besides.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
It's an also, not an instead.
My trainer and I work together four time a week besides.
Yes I read that, great job you are a machine!

I just added my notes about the program in your quote, not that they were directed to you.

For those interested in trying insanity, I would highly recommend it for either a 8 week program (you will be working out hard 6x per week, think spring football drills hard) or a great way to get your cardio in. Either way you are going to improve your fitness level.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Sometimes I prefer to be bored to death
I have an elliptical and treadmill at home and it's great for when I want to burn off some steam or feel like zoning out and daydreaming.

I have p90x and I feel like the focus of that is building muscle. They have a few cardio workouts but overall it's more strength training. I don't follow their program, but I do the workouts.

Is insanity more of a cario program? Does it use weights? Curious to see what the difference is or if it's worth the money.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:51 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Insanity is insane! I've been athletic and physically active my whole life. I've done wrestling one of the toughest if not THE TOUGHEST and most grueling sport in the world, and other forms of grappling and martial arts and this kicks my arse all over the place! It's definitely a program that's very effective and amazing.

I would recommend it though for people who are in good general to above average physical shape. It's not for people who are just starting to get into fitness. If you can't do squats, push ups or control your own body weight properly, start off with something less challenging. I would recommend Hip-hop abs, though it seems gimmicky, it is a lot of fun and can bring you up to par and is from the same guy who made Insanity-Shaun T.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Sometimes I prefer to be bored to death
I have an elliptical and treadmill at home and it's great for when I want to burn off some steam or feel like zoning out and daydreaming.

I have p90x and I feel like the focus of that is building muscle. They have a few cardio workouts but overall it's more strength training. I don't follow their program, but I do the workouts.

Is insanity more of a cario program? Does it use weights? Curious to see what the difference is or if it's worth the money.
I'm in the middle of my 2nd round of P90x and have added Insanity to the resistance days for cardio. Insanity is much more cardio-focused than P90x. No weights involved. You'll build muscle but you get a great cardio burn. Some people do the P90x resistance training workouts and swap the P90x cardio workouts (Plyometrics, Kenpo) with Insanity.

It is worth the money, in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I absolutely HATE exercising.
I am uncoordinated and hate working out at the gym, I feel like everyone is laughing at me.
I hate classes because the instructors are either drill sergeants or act like exercise is better than sex. Yell at me and I will take my workout mat and go home. Act like it's super-fun and I'll know you are a liar and I will question every word coming out of your mouth.

But I tolerate Insanity. Shaun T. is a gentle soul that can motivate you to do your best. He constantly reminds you that you are doing this to look and feel better.

I have lost 15 pounds so far and am looking forward to losing 10 more. I am on the fast track to go from a size 10 back to a size 4 - back where I was at half my current age!!!

Any excercise program will work, if you stick to it. This is the only program that I have ever followed through.

Oh and I am also really frugal. This requires only the DVDs, and no additional equipment.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
I have completed Insanity twice out of four attempts. Honestly looking back at it I have lost more inches oppose to pounds also my midsection (primarily my obliques) appear really defined. Collectively I may have lost 15-20lbs.

I received a great tone all around; most certainly worth the money however by the fourth week you are bored with the repetiton of a dvds. However the second month is Nuts compared to the first.

Get Ready!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM

221 posts, read 484,144 times
You can't compare Insanity and P90X. Insanity is HIIT while P90X is weight training. You won't gain much for muscle mass compared to P90X. Like SPECFRCE I definitely toned and dropped about 5% of my body fat overall.

Not for people with chronic knee problems and back problems. There's quite a bit of jumping and know people who have injured themselves using Insanity. If you're already in decent shape, go ahead. But if you're overweight or in the obese category, go at your own pace if not find a program that's less harsh on the joints.

It did get boring after awhile with the repetitive music and just staring the screen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness