Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 AM

455 posts, read 651,710 times

Advertisements

I am 5'8 180 lbs. I have a medium stocky build. Broad shoulders, developed back, chest and arms. The problem that i am having is that my butt is somewhat big. I do squats and deadlifts and these exercises pretty much work the glutes. I am trying to lose weight since 180 and it's too much for my height. My goal is 160 min weight to 167 max weight. I am aware that spot reduction is not possible but what exercise do i avoid in order not to grow the glutes even more than they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
I am 5'8 180 lbs. I have a medium stocky build. Broad shoulders, developed back, chest and arms. The problem that i am having is that my butt is somewhat big. I do squats and deadlifts and these exercises pretty much work the glutes. I am trying to lose weight since 180 and it's too much for my height. My goal is 160 min weight to 167 max weight. I am aware that spot reduction is not possible but what exercise do i avoid in order not to grow the glutes even more than they are now.
Squats and deadlifts, both fantastic lifts and very effective, will put a primary focus on other muscles aside from the glutes. The glutes will be hit, but indirectly.

If you want to lose weight, you need to worry about your diet first and foremost. Getting that in line along with an associated workout program will be what gets the weight off.

What does your current program look like? Your glutes will be hit on pretty much most leg exercises and the most important leg lifts, squats, should not be avoided.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
For me, lunges (weighted or otherwise) are what really seem to work my glutes more than anything. The squats. Then deadlifts.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

165 posts, read 405,739 times
5'8 and 180 lbs is not a bad size if you are fit and not carrying around a lot of fat. If you are in the 10-15% bf range, then I wouldn't worry about trying to drop to 160. Also, don't avoid the squat or deadlift. Those are 2 key exercises for any weightlifting program!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
I have the same build. Don't stop deadlifting and squatting. If you're too fat, fix the diet. What's your diet like?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I have the same build. Don't stop deadlifting and squatting. If you're too fat, fix the diet. What's your diet like?
I don't eat junk food (maybe pizza but i take most of the cheese off). I mostly eat whole grain items (brown rice, pasta, bread), veggies, fruits, a variety of legumes, and chicken. I drink mostly water, tropicana orange juice, the occasional ginger ale soda. No coffee, alcohol, beer, etc. Also, I don't eat meat everyday, maybe once or twice a week.

The issue is that last year (Mid-April) i lost my job and i immediately cancelled anything luxuries expenses (eg:high speed internet, gym, meetup events, tidday bars, etc). I went into a depression during my unemployment and i didn't do any at home exercises. Hence, the weight gain. Remarkably, i didn't lost my physique. I am a natural exerciser. I don't take protein shakes, whey, creatine, etc. I gain a little weight on my butt and midsection but nothing major. I feel if i start and commit to an exercise regimen i would lose the weight. I am just concern on the butt. I don't want to increase it but reduce it and tone it. Having a big butt for a dude is somewhat feminine.

Thankfully, I was able to get a new job this past Jan 2012. Sadly, i am still trying to kick this depression. I joined a great state of the art gym. It has the works (kettlebells, tires, ropes, machines, free-weights, etc)

Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Your best bet, if you want to focus on losing body fat and not gaining muscle, is going to be focusing in on cardio as well as really watching your diet. Cardio does not necissarily increase muscle size but it does shed body fat. If you can - Run on the treadmill or around your neighborhood, do at least 30 mins. a day on the eliptical or even take advantage of some of the classes your gym offers such as kickboxing, aerobics or zumba (i've seen guys do it so don't make fun). YOu could even try out a pilate's class - great for toning. Cycling is good but watch your time on the bike because although it can tone if you push it too far you can cross that line into developing as well.

As far as your diet, stay away from processed foods and sugars - in your grocery store, stay on the outside of the store, limit what you buy down the isles. Eat more natural foods and less man made stuff. Bannana's have a ton of carbs so don't eat them as often. Whole grain only, its better for you and will help you maintain stamina at the gym so you can do all of that cardio .

Remember - Exercise releases endorphines and endorphines make you happy Happy people are not often depressed

Quote:
I don't eat junk food (maybe pizza but i take most of the cheese off). I mostly eat whole grain items (brown rice, pasta, bread), veggies, fruits, a variety of legumes, and chicken. I drink mostly water, tropicana orange juice, the occasional ginger ale soda. No coffee, alcohol, beer, etc. Also, I don't eat meat everyday, maybe once or twice a week.

The issue is that last year (Mid-April) i lost my job and i immediately cancelled anything luxuries expenses (eg:high speed internet, gym, meetup events, tidday bars, etc). I went into a depression during my unemployment and i didn't do any at home exercises. Hence, the weight gain. Remarkably, i didn't lost my physique. I am a natural exerciser. I don't take protein shakes, whey, creatine, etc. I gain a little weight on my butt and midsection but nothing major. I feel if i start and commit to an exercise regimen i would lose the weight. I am just concern on the butt. I don't want to increase it but reduce it and tone it. Having a big butt for a dude is somewhat feminine.

Thankfully, I was able to get a new job this past Jan 2012. Sadly, i am still trying to kick this depression. I joined a great state of the art gym. It has the works (kettlebells, tires, ropes, machines, free-weights, etc)

Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM

224 posts, read 828,257 times
I read an article last week that both men and women who are butt fat as you call it are estrogen dominant. For women they suggest progesterone supplementation to cause the body to let go of fat stores around the lower body. For men I'm not so sure what you should take as yes men can have low progesterone though they need less of it than women, but it might also be low testosterone. If I was a guy I would seriously get the doctor to run a full hormone panel and see what your levels are. Its not normally for guys to store fat in their butt, thus I would suspect its hormonal imbalance and all the squats in the world will not fix that. Diet won't necessarily either.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
I read an article last week that both men and women who are butt fat as you call it are estrogen dominant. For women they suggest progesterone supplementation to cause the body to let go of fat stores around the lower body. For men I'm not so sure what you should take as yes men can have low progesterone though they need less of it than women, but it might also be low testosterone. If I was a guy I would seriously get the doctor to run a full hormone panel and see what your levels are. Its not normally for guys to store fat in their butt, thus I would suspect its hormonal imbalance and all the squats in the world will not fix that. Diet won't necessarily either.
I also read that. I also read that it is also better health wise to have fat below the waist instead of above. It is usually easier to burn fat below the waist than above the waist (belly fat). Belly fat is harder and sometimes more dangerous since the fat aligns itself with organs. I had a physical and blood work last year and everything was fine. Is there is a special test for testosterone? I will definitely ask my doctor in my next physical.

It is not entirely butt fat though. It is muscle and fat.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:

I have never seen a person who has a problem with their butt being too muscular. Women tend to put on a lot of fat in that area but men's butt's tend to shrink while they grow a huge belly. This picture is a good example.

If you want to drop your weight below 167, you need to do it mainly by diet. I would also take up running. I would not stop the squats and deadlifts. These are the best exercises you can do. A lot of running will counter some of your muscular development and might slow your glute development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness