Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
You sound like you're new to gyms. You could also workout at home if it bothers you that much. "duh"
Not at all. Been working out for many years in all types of gyms. I like my gym, and I'm not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Speaking of noises...

I belonged to a very lavish gym 3 years ago, and they had lots of classes, including yoga. I joined the yoga class. Wonderful. The room was darkish, there was soft meditative music, and the instructor was great. It was my first yoga experience.

It was in that class that one day, during downward facing dog, some fellow up in the front let loose something that sounded like a French horn, and it wasn't coming from his mouth.

People began to giggle and the instructor softly said, "Now now, let's focus." I really tried my utmost best to contain my laughter, but eventually burst out laughing out uncontrollably so loud that I left the class. I was still laughing as I drove away.
That's hilarious! And I agree, it would be really hard not to laugh.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks all for the good ideas so far, and for the laughs. I've actually found that other people in my community have had a similar experience (hearing other women moan like this). It must be a california thing!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM

I vaguely recall a recently reported study saying that women experience orgasm while exercising. I blew it off at the time, but maybe there is some truth to it!

Study confirms some women orgasm during exercise - HealthPop - CBS News
Quote:
For the study, surveys were administered online to 124 women between the ages of 18 to 63 who reported having exercise-induced orgasms (EIO) and 246 women who said they had exercise-induced sexual pleasure (EISP)." The most common exercises associated with exercise-induced orgasm were abdominal exercises, climbing poles or ropes, biking/spinning and weight lifting," Herbenick said. About 40 percent of the women who had EIO or EISP episodes had done so on more than 10 occasions. One-fifth of the women could not control their experiences, and most of the EIO subjects said they felt self-consciousness when exercising in public places.
hmmm.....self-reported, not very reliable or scientific
1/5 of the women could not control their experiences - I think I've met this woman!
most of the EIO subjects said they felt self-consciousness when exercising in public places - I would think so!!!

No Sex Required: Women Have Orgasms at the Gym : Discovery News
Quote:
Of the women who had orgasms ("coregasms," named because of their seeming link to exercises for core abdominal muscles) during exercise, about 45 percent said their first experience was linked to abdominal exercises; 19 percent linked to biking/spinning; 9.3 percent linked to climbing poles or ropes; 7 percent reported a connection with weight lifting; 7 percent running; the rest of the experiences included various exercises, such as yoga, swimming, elliptical machines, aerobics and others.

For instance, the abdominal exercises tied to orgasms seemed to be particularly associated with the exercise in which a person supports their weight on their forearms on a so-called captain's chair with padded arm rests and then lifts their knees toward their chest. we did not do this

The open-ended questions also revealed the orgasms tended to occur after multiple sets of crunches or some other abdominal exercise rather than after just a couple repetitions; we did full body integration, but not specifically abd work on thursday they also seemed to happen after the woman had really exerted herself. this is the most likely possibility
So...the work out of the day on thursday included the following exercises (it was LEG day):
Diagonal squat 2x5 ea side
Squats 15,12 10,10,15 (she probably did this on the "smith exercise" machine or with dumbbells)
Stiff dead 4x15
Lunges 4x15 ea leg
Leg sled 15,12,10
Physioball leg curls
Physioball plank (shoulders on floor)
Physioball bridge

***There was no change in intensity or loudness of the moaning with any of the exercises.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Just in case some of you might have
missed this video on making noise while
lifting weights ... here it is again.

weight lifting tips for women. Grunt! - YouTube

Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 24,373 times
It generally depends on each individual, many make sounds while doing their exercise, but as you say that she sounds like as if she is reaching her orgasm, you must check with her whether she sounds because of the exercise or she does it to irritate the surroundings.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Just in case some of you might have
missed this video on making noise while
lifting weights ... here it is again.
Ok, I watched it. The "expert" - haha. I disagree. I've been doing reformer Pilates for many years, and I know that it is very possible to tighten one's core without making loud grunting noises. So why is Melanie Megalomanic your highly exalted expert?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Sigh, everywhere you go these days, there has to be someone annoying, you know? Sounds so agravating. I would mention it to management. If it's bothersome to you, it's bothersome to others as well.

I just started at one of those "no grunt" gyms recently. An alarm actually goes off back where the free weights are if someone is making too much noise. There are other gyms in the area where that is allowed, but not at this one, thank goodness.

I did complain to management about one girl that was wearing flip flips on the treadmill, and then proceeded to put her nasty, dirty bare feet all over the other work-out equipment without cleaning them off afterwards as is required. The sign at the gym clearly states no "sandals" but she apparently thought she was at home. She now has proper tennis shoes when she's there, I notice. Many people don't think about courtesy towards others these days, unfortunately.

Gyms want to retain memberships, not lose them. I'd complain.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,084 times
No joke, I'll never forget one time during peak hours at my gym that there was this BIG guy who was literally ROARING after each rep. He was so loud that I could hear him through my considerably loud music that was coming from my headphones. Even more hilariously, once he was done with his set (he was benching,) he sat up and just roared. Uh, ok?

Now, I lift some pretty heavy weight at the gym, but I can't think of a time where I had to make loud sounds or grunting during my lifts. Granted, I do focus on my breathing, and some of my exhaling can be a little bit audible, but I never needed to grunt or especially roar.

Now, people who DROP their weights, on the other hand, **** me off to no end. It's fine when you're doing that in the powerlifting stations using weights that are DESIGNED to be dropped on a platform DESIGNED to handle that kind of abuse, but not in the regular weights.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,680 times
Id just laugh im not easily bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness