Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Two points. Assuming a constant of an extra 150 calories burned, that's one extra pound lost every 23.3 days. Rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Also, a similar if not greater effect can be obtained by the consumption of ice cold water.
15 lbs a year is insignificant? I don't think you'll find many people to agree with you on that. I know I would not be happing gaining 15lbs a year.

Yes, you *could* do lots of stuff to burn 150 more calories a day. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
15 lbs a year is insignificant? I don't think you'll find many people to agree with you on that. I know I would not be happing gaining 15lbs a year.
In the grand scheme of things, yes. I suppose if you're obese enough to need a year of constant weight loss, you might feel differently though.

Quote:
Yes, you *could* do lots of stuff to burn 150 more calories a day. What's your point?
Merely that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
As I mentioned in another thread about this story, the bottom line remains the same. Calorie deficit equals weight loss, while a calorie surplus equals weight gain no matter what macronutrient breakdown you use.
I agree with this. The bottom line remains the same - If you make weight loss complicated, as does this thread, normal people will shy away from doing things that can benefit them. The best way to lose body fat is to move and use common sense, that's it - not rocket science and definitley not some crazy and complicated formula that requires a college degree in the composition of every food on the planet. Common people, you can call an apple a Malus Domestica but it's still a dang apple. If you want to be healthy, lose weight, gain muscle or just overall live a healthy lifestyle use your common sense, eat natural foods and exercise.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
self control is a lot more important than the "quality" of the food you eat.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Maybe but that 'loss' depends on what you're losing. If you're sustaining your body with adequate amount of quality proteins and carbohydrates, muscle loss will be minimized while excess fat reduction will be more significant. While when people cut too much and not feeding the body properly, the body will always try to balance that inadequate nutrition and start leeching into other storage. This could mean more muscle loss aside from some fat loss.

Just like how not all calories are created equal (the same old theory that pops on media every other day), fat/muscle loss will vary depending on how that person is sustaining their body.
I find if I just watch my protein intake, I don't lose much strength, I'm not a professional bodybuilder, so I don't take this all that seriously, and I don't think you should either, unless you're looking to become a professional.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Study: Not all calories are created equal - CBS News

...The researcher who led the study, Dr. David Ludwig, of Boston's Children Hospital, explained on "CBS This Morning," "These findings suggest, from a metabolic perspective, all calories are not alike. And for the best long-term outcomes, avoid restricting any major nutrients, either fat or carbohydrate, and focus on reducing refined carbs like white bread, white rice, potato products and sugary foods."

He added, "Our findings suggest that actually trying to restrict either carbs or fat is not the best way (to achieve long-term weight loss) and instead to focus on the quality of the fats and the quality of the carbs."...
I'm not sure why this is news. Doctors have knows for quite awhile that carbs (in average amounts or more, not small, controlled amounts) cause the body to produce insulin, which adds fat to the body. Protein and greens don't have this effect.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
It's very important to eat healthy. Someone eating 1700 calories a day in cake and hamburgers is still going to end up looking like crap.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure why this is news. Doctors have knows for quite awhile that carbs (in average amounts or more, not small, controlled amounts) cause the body to produce insulin, which adds fat to the body. Protein and greens don't have this effect.
Greens are carbs. You just need to eat a whole lot of them to get the same number of carbs in a potato or a cup of rice. All veggies and fruits are "carbs." (except for maybe an avocado or an olive)

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Perhaps you missed this part:

"...for the best long-term outcomes, avoid restricting any major nutrients, either fat or carbohydrate, and focus on reducing refined carbs like white bread, white rice, potato products and sugary foods..."

It's not carbs, per se, it's REFINED carbs that are to be avoided. Also, as jade already pointed out, greens, other veggies and especially fruits do have carbs. In some cases a fair amount. A banana has almost the same amount of sugar in it as a Snickers bar. Now, the banana is obviously far healthier for you than a Snickers, but you wouldn't want to make it your only/main fruit choice.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think they have known for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time that refined carbs are horrible for you.

There is a reason it was never a big part of any culture's diet until very recent history. It's not part of any natural diet.
Now that processes have made it easier and cheaper to come by...well, hell, yeah, you got a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness