Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that aging leads to a thicker waist line. Even if you have the exact same body fat percentag, you will have a thicker waist at 38 than you had at 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,680 times
Lotte Berk seems really good this is something I can do in my apartment.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Lotte Berk seems really good this is something I can do in my apartment.

also check out barre method and bar method and also fluidity. they all derived from some degree from ballet and callanetics

Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
sounds great Lavender, this I have to try.. as Ive got just lazy. I blame this computer.. Ive lost an inch in height since getting older... and it makes me look rounder... so its time for changes before I turn into a wee roly poly.. should that all have been the one word

Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
True tiny waists are usually God-given, and not created>>unless faked by the suction or scalpel.

You'd be better off just accepting that you are not, and will never be, a small waisted woman.

Enjoy/accentuate the good (natural) assets/ stuff you did get, and shake off the need to compete in an area you are unable to do so.
I don't know about that.. I have a 46 inch chest and a 30 inch waist.. It use to be 42 inch waist, I keep telling myself when I had a 42 inch waist that you were born with it etc etc.. but I started doing a lot of cardio, and forgot about my waist, next thing I know, I measure it, and it's 30 inches..

Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
True tiny waists are usually God-given, and not created>>unless faked by the suction or scalpel.

You'd be better off just accepting that you are not, and will never be, a small waisted woman.

Enjoy/accentuate the good (natural) assets/ stuff you did get, and shake off the need to compete in an area you are unable to do so.
I think you are right. Bone structure has a lot to do with waist measurement.
My waist is 30-32,but then again I'm overweight 180 lbs,5ft 6in. When I was bigger at 230 lb my waist was a 34.
My tummy tends to push out rather than collect fat at the sides. Some women I know have flat tummies but love handles.

I also read that doing push ups,sit ups,and cruches actually make your waist bigger. Yes,you will get a flat tummy,but your wasit gets bigger(don't know why)

Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 AM

169 posts, read 764,608 times
jerseygal - I want to use your measuring tape!!! There is no way you had a 34 inch waist and weighed 230 pounds. And now you say you have lost 50 pounds and only 2 inches came off your waist?? Have someone else measure you or get a new tape!!!
Any core exercise gives you muscles (if you do them well and often!!), and obliques sometime can be seen from the sides of a fit person. I can't imagine a fit core leads to a bigger waist measurement. But even if it did, wouldn't you rather have great definition than a muffin top??

Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
jerseygal - I want to use your measuring tape!!! There is no way you had a 34 inch waist and weighed 230 pounds. And now you say you have lost 50 pounds and only 2 inches came off your waist?? Have someone else measure you or get a new tape!!!
Any core exercise gives you muscles (if you do them well and often!!), and obliques sometime can be seen from the sides of a fit person. I can't imagine a fit core leads to a bigger waist measurement. But even if it did, wouldn't you rather have great definition than a muffin top??
Definitely possible. The same was true for me as well. 34 inch waist at 230. It really depends on your body shape. I'd say this is probably pretty common for women shaped like pears or hourglasses.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
If you had a smaller waist size before, you can get it back again.

I'm significantly older than you, but of similar build. In the last 60 days I've managed to reshape my body using Insanity DVDs. I feel and look better than I did 10 years ago.

Insanity is a total body work out that doesn't require any equipment. Nor do you do any situps! It's not just the stomach muscles you need to work on, it's the obliques and your general core. You develop strength and coordination (something I never really had!). There are lots of stretches involved also, which significantly improves your flexibility.

We found our Insanity on ebay. We are now planning to post our treadmill and exercise bike on Craigslist. I'm not sure if I'm happier about my body or the new found space I regained in my home!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM

224 posts, read 828,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I keep telling myself when I had a 42 inch waist that you were born with it etc etc.. but I started doing a lot of cardio, and forgot about my waist, next thing I know, I measure it, and it's 30 inches..
Just how long did you forget about your waist before you noticed you shrank? That's a lot of shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness