Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,084 times

Advertisements

I don't like either extreme. If it's too crowded, I obviously can't get to a machine, bench or cage and thus have to be there longer. If the place is deserted, what would happen if I am doing an exercise and I suddenly fail and need someone to lift the weight off of me? I like there to at least be a few people in the area who, if anything goes wrong, can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
My current gym changed its location . Previously it was 2 floors (cardio on bottom , weights on top) and even when it was crowded it wasnt that bad. The new location is in an office building where you have to go thru some long hallways and is always cramped to work out. I now have to weight on machines/eqpt where i didnt before. Time to quit.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Gym overcrowding is why I purchased equipment to work out at home. No more tool curling in the only squat rack and refusing to move, no more Mylie Cyrus or Adele blasting thru the PA as I try muster up the intensity to gut thru my last set or last 2 minutes of on the treadmill, no more weights left everywhere except on the weight tree.

I go to the gym to exercise, not make friends or pick someone up. If I need social interaction I'll go to visit friends or family and I already have a girlfriend.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,532 times
If I had to choose between empty and crowded, I'd definitely choose crowded. Those scrumptious milfs in yoga pants boosts my energy levels.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
I definitly do not like when the gym is overly croweded, I hate circling the parking lot for parking and then waiting to use a piece of equipment plus dealign with thew crowds of people, etc. with that said I would prefer it half full over empty. When its empty its kinda boring. if im running or doing cardio people watching keeps me from getting extremly bored and as another poster said it keeps the enerry level up vs. a dead empty gym.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
not crowded for sure....like when i go at 6am, it's peaceful. too many people in one place in general make me nervous. it also makes for a higher probability of some idiot loudmouth putting in his two cents to you about your workout.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
How about an in-between?

I find it hard walking into a crowded or empty gym.

The gym I attend, a sort of Goldilocks gym, has just enough people to people watch and not feel lonely but not enough as so to have to wait on equipment. Working out beside similar motivated people just motivates me more.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
I like it empty. I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't even want to smile at anyone, and I don't want anyone smiling or talking at me. I'm not there to socialize, I'm there to work out.

I live in a town so small there's only one gym, and that gym is so small that on weekend mornings and most evenings, there isn't even any staff there. I just use my key card to unlock the door, and the motion detector lights come on when I walk in. Sometimes I can do an entire hour in total silence, and if I wait too long between sets the lights go out and it gets dark again. I love the focus - just me, and an entire building full of equipment for me to use as I wish.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
The biggest reason I like getting to the gym at 5am is because it's empty, it's usually the same 15 to 25 people everyday doing what they have to do staying out of each other's way because we all have to get to work. Everyone is polite & pretty much have an idea of what everyone is doing & work's out according to everyone else's needs. Basically we stay out of ach other's way.

If I have to go during the day, I find the best time to go is between 11:30 am to 2pm. Pretty empty, you get alot of people who work nights coming in to work out & they don't wana be bothered. The classes that the Mother's take have ended & they have to eun errands before picking up their kids from school.

Any time between 8 & 11am after 2-2:30 pm it's just unbearable.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I like it empty. I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't even want to smile at anyone, and I don't want anyone smiling or talking at me. I'm not there to socialize, I'm there to work out.
I totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness