Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times

Advertisements

This happend to me ealier today and it was pretty scary!!

The weight was moderate for me (185) and it didn't get stuck on my chest or anything but basically I was coming down with the bar and I didn't have enough energy to push it back up. I was stuck for probably 10 sec until a man and woman nearby helped lift it off . Luckily for me it didn't hurt but I have some soreness between my chest and shoulder.

Has this happend to any of you? Can this cause something serious?

I'm definitely taking a break from the gym and this is the last time I bench w/o a spotter

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Never put plate restraints on if you are benching without a spotter. You want to be able to tilt the bar to allow the weights on one side to fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbOK...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOoSTQ0tdY

Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times
Oh yeah it has happened to me quite a few times but that was years ago when I was younger. I trained without a spotter or guards. Now I still train without a spotter at home and if I bench at the gym I will have someone spot me real quick when I go for failure.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
At 185, nothing serious unless you let it slam down on you. At heavier weights, yes, there is an increased risk of injury.

Many people have done the roll of shame, where they have to roll the bar down their body to get out from it.

I never had to, came close, very close.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,299 times
That hasn't happened to me but when I saw the thread title it reminded me of this:

EPIC Training FAIL- 315 Benchpress Disaster - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,595,800 times
You always should have a spotter!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
That hasn't happened to me but when I saw the thread title it reminded me of this:

EPIC Training FAIL- 315 Benchpress Disaster - YouTube
He doesn't need a spotter, he has rubber bands!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,214,996 times
When I first started weightlifting at the age of 14 all I had was a barbell with some plates. No partners to work out with. I used a cheap picnic bench for my bench. To get the weight on my chest I had to roll it over my legs and stomach. Eventually the bench broke while benching. I had to buy my Dad a new one. The good old days.

It seems easy to just dump the weights to one side if you can't lift it. Even if you are using collars. Of course there is a difference between 150 lbs and 300 lbs. But I've never felt stuck. No, I can't do a 200lb bench much less 300 nowadays.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,026 times
Yes, it happened to me about ten years ago when I was in college. I was lifting and all the sudden, my arms just went out on me and I didn't have the strength to push the weights off of my chest and onto the holder. It was very scary and I was definitely suffocating under the weights laying on my chest. Luckily, some guy saw me struggling and came over to help. I definitely learned my lesson that day and have never went without a spotter since then.

On a related note: Anybody remember the football player at USC (Southern Cal) a few years ago who had that freak weightlifting accident? His name was Stephon Johnson and he was lifting when the bar slipped out of his hand and fell onto his throat. Almost killed him. He had to have 7 hours of surgery. He was being spotted, but it just happened so quick, there was nothing the spotter could do to prevent it from happening.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,210 times
Talking Hah, roll of shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
On a related note: Anybody remember the football player at USC (Southern Cal) a few years ago who had that freak weightlifting accident? His name was Stephon Johnson and he was lifting when the bar slipped out of his hand and fell onto his throat. Almost killed him. He had to have 7 hours of surgery. He was being spotted, but it just happened so quick, there was nothing the spotter could do to prevent it from happening.
Yep, I remember that. Pretty scary stuff! It reminded me how dangerous bench pressing is..

And to answer the OP's question: Yes I've dropped the weight on myself back when I was first beginning to lift. I preferred the "roll of shame" - much better than hearing the CLANK of plates dropping to the mat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness