Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 PM

607 posts, read 1,389,052 times

Advertisements

So what's your view on jogging? Do you like it or not? I know many people view jogging as one of the most awful, most boring exercises out there. I myself love it and would probably consider myself almost addicted to it. I jog 5 days a week and take 2 days off to rest. During those 2 days, I so want to get out there, but I know my body needs the rest. After the 2 days, I can't wait to get back out there. I live in a rural area and there is a park not too far from me that is remote and rarely used. I have the whole place to myself most of the time and there's nothing better than jogging through the fields, seeing all of the nature around me and breathing in the fresh air. And while I'm jogging, I just get into this zone where I don't even think about how tired I may be or how bad I just want it to be over with. The Ipod helps too, lol. Finally, I just feel so refreshed and energized after taking a good jog. It's just the best feeling. Anyone else enjoy jogging this much or am I just crazy, lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM

21,427 posts, read 8,633,272 times
Nay for me. I tried really hard to like it, but I'm just not cut out for running. I am a woman with big hips and short legs, and jogging is just awkward. Also, I have had problems with plantar fasciitis, and I have found that even gentle running on a treadmill causes flareups.

I'm glad you enjoy it, though. I'm envious. It's a great way to exercise that requires no gym membership and no expensive equipment other than good shoes.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,655,744 times
I think you summed it up yourself. Some people love it others don't. I was an avid runner for years until my knees gave out. I took a couple of years off to try and recover. I want to get back out there because I miss it. I love running long distances, the road to myself, and no one can bother me. Nothing like it.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,285,048 times
When I mix it in with calisthenics and sprints, absolutely.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,436,784 times
Yay for me, jogging is a great way to lose or maintain weight, and stay in general good shape. 5 times a week is a bit much for me, I jog about 3 times a week, and I prefer outdoor running as opposed to treadmills..

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Yay for me, jogging is a great way to lose or maintain weight, and stay in general good shape. 5 times a week is a bit much for me, I jog about 3 times a week, and I prefer outdoor running as opposed to treadmills..
Believe me, once I get down to my target weight, I will also be scaling it down to about 3 times a week just for maintenance. I enjoy it, but I also don't want to wear out my joints either. Wholeheartedly agree on the outdoor running. It's the only way to go for me. I tried the treadmill thing at one time during the winter because I don't like jogging in the cold and it just wasn't for me. So I just bite the bullet and jog in the cold. It's not the most enjoyable experience to me, but it beats the heck out of a treadmill.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,309,994 times
I would rather walk than jog, and walk briskly enough and at enough length that it provides the same benefits as an easy jog. The downside is that running is so much more efficient, to make the same health gains by just walking, one needs to walk so much longer.

I generally walk outdoors, but if I am running, I prefer treadmill, because there is less stress on my knees than there is when running on pavement. I have chondromalacia, and have since I was in high school, so maintaining muscle strength while not stressing my knees is of importance.

I wish I loved running, but I don't. My BF is a distance runner, and finds it very zen and peaceful, but I have never found it to be so for me.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM

41,753 posts, read 74,749,634 times
I jog sometimes -- usually when I need to rid myself of nervous energy -- but usually just walk. I can walk faster than I can run.

Neither is right nor wrong; it's all a matter of preference.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,762,626 times
I LOVE outdoor running. I only started about 5 years ago, and ran my first marathon this year. There is nothing better than going out for a run on a scenic trail in the fresh air after the torture of sitting in an office all day at work. It really clears my head and wakes me up.

As for a treadmill, I can't stand it. 20 minutes on that thing is about all I can take. The boredom is too much. Even if I try to watch tv I can't concentrate on the show, I just think about how freaking boring it is to be running in place. I'll got out in the heat or in the snow, rather than run inside. I actually love running in the snow, so peaceful.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My BF is a distance runner, and finds it very zen and peaceful
As do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness