Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times

Advertisements

Frequently, I hear about some movie actor who "got lean and ripped" in preparation for an upcoming role. Invariably, the actor's method includes running, aerobics, or swimming combined with weight lifting.
I'd like to mimic this method in hopes to achieve vaguely similar results. However, my body cannot tolerate high-impact exercises such as running and aerobics. In addition, I don't know how to swim.
Am I doomed to remain pudgy forever, or are there any other really effective low-impact exercises that burn fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM

59 posts, read 126,918 times
Do you have access to a bicycle or a stationary bike?

Also, don't underestimate the power of walking. Within certain speeds, walking can burn as much calories as running does.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Walk uphill. That is a great exercise. If your gym has a pool learn to swim. My husband learned in 3 months and did a sprint triathlon swimming a 1/2 mile. Cycling is another great exercise. You can also take Zoomba classes which burn a ton of calories while being low impact. You can also do resistance training. In fact there are so many things you can do you will just have to decide which is best for you.
My advice is to hire a trainer and tell them your goals and let them map out a plan for you. This can happen in one or two sessions, so its not expensive.
The one thing you should not do is dwell on things you cannot do. That will only lead to failure.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Two words: Hula Hoop.

Explanation: It's zero impact (your feet don't have to leave the ground at all). It's a full-body workout, because you don't have to just swirl it around your waist; you have to maintain balance and good posture, which means bending your knees, which means thigh muscles are being used. It means back muscles have to be taut. It means stomach muscles have to pulse from relaxed to taut over and over to get the momentum. It means you can put the hoop on your arm and swirl it around there in BIG HUGE movements that require a whole different kind of balance and works your upper body including your neck. You can also swirl it around your neck, and if you're up to a little hopping, you can swirl it around on your ankle and hop through with the other foot with each turn.

If you're daring, you could try two hoops - one on each arm. Or one on an arm and one on an ankle. Or one on your neck and another around your hips. Major balance, serious muscle coordination, cardio workout extreme, and fitness training all in one $5 piece of equipment that can hang on your garage wall and weighs less than a pound.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
"However, my body cannot tolerate high-impact exercises such as running and aerobics."

Why?

"Am I doomed to remain pudgy forever, or are there any other really effective low-impact exercises that burn fat?"

Start in the kitchen.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"However, my body cannot tolerate high-impact exercises such as running and aerobics."

Why?

"Am I doomed to remain pudgy forever, or are there any other really effective low-impact exercises that burn fat?"

Start in the kitchen.

To answer the "why": I've tried running on more than one occasion and ended up with painful things like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, etc. So I've been walking the treadmill on a steep incline, which is easier on the body but more difficult to accomplish than I thought.

As for the comment about diet: I am already working on that. I'm not only changing the kinds of foods that I eat, I'm also eating smaller portions. This is also very difficult, because pulling myself away from all my favorite foods (pizza, fried chicken, cheeseburgers) in favor of healthy food causes me to have cravings!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
long slow running on soft surface (dirt or grass) is not really high impact. Get some shoes w/ good cushioning such as Brooks DNA or Asics gel. Or walk, as interstate suggests. Or walk-run-walk. Just try to go fairly long. Try to work up to at least 90 minutes, at least 3-4 times per week. Start today with an easy session and gradually build up the time/distance.

Whether walking or running, avoid pavement to save your joints. Try doing it now & then in a carb-depleted state, which trains the body to burn fat rather than glycogen.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
PS shin splints generally is a temporary phenomenon that is common for novice runners, but disappears as fitness improves.

To avoid PF, strengthen your feet so that the fascia is not bearing so much of the load. One exercise you can do is to stand barefoot on a hard floor (e.g. wood or tile)and pull yourself along, inch-worm style by your toes. Another way to strengthen feet is to do some barefoot running. Start very slow-short and work your way up.

I had PF a few years ago. After it healed, I started doing a little barefoot running each week. The PF never came back, even though most of my work day involves walking on concrete floors. I just run maybe 5-7 miles each week barefoot to keep my feet strong.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
If you are already doing incline on the treadmill for 30 minutes then start doing some strength training as well. Strength training is the #1 way to lose and to get fit. If you are not doing it already start tomorrow. If you belong to a gym hire a trainer for a session to show you the ropes and get a program that is specific to your needs and ability.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Has anyone mentioned swimming yet? But I would do speed swimming, and not slow relaxed swimming. I find doing things that are explosive increases my metabolism, and burns fat more. It is very low impact. Once you have your muscles up to speed, you can keep on going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness