Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 AM

221 posts, read 484,144 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've done number of weighing, macronutrient counting and guzzling up 1-1.5 gallons of water and I have fluctuated as much as 4 lbs in 24 hours. One gallon of water weighs eight pounds so if you're drinking a lot, you could be retaining some while the body will just recirculate and get rid of excess fluid which fibers really help in absorbing and without getting diarrhea every time you go #2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Yes, I've done number of weighing, macronutrient counting and guzzling up 1-1.5 gallons of water and I have fluctuated as much as 4 lbs in 24 hours. One gallon of water weighs eight pounds so if you're drinking a lot, you could be retaining some while the body will just recirculate and get rid of excess fluid which fibers really help in absorbing and without getting diarrhea every time you go #2
I'd actually emailed his nutritionist around the same time as I did the post and she replied earlier today. She said she doesn't want me to count on that as far as weight loss but for safety it's fine. She also said based on his food intake, she would recommend we do a full day of fruits & veggies one day a week to counterbalance all the heavy lunch foods. We decided not to take away the lunch because he likes the process of going through the line and picking his lunch with his friends.

Anyhow I weight him at about 7:30 right after he work up and peed; he was 75 on the dot.
I gave him a breakfast of watermelon, kiwi and mango with 8 oz of water and weighed him again; he's 77.4.

I have no idea how much this kid weighs...I guess we'll find out at weigh-in tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
If he wants to play make him drop the weight. It's safe and not a big deal. If you don't have a stationary bike to ride he needs to work hard jogging in place to drop that weight so fast. Keep him off drinks with sugar for a week afterwards and he'll be fine and can play.

We all could lose 2lbs.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
If he wants to play make him drop the weight. It's safe and not a big deal. If you don't have a stationary bike to ride he needs to work hard jogging in place to drop that weight so fast. Keep him off drinks with sugar for a week afterwards and he'll be fine and can play.

We all could lose 2lbs.
Thanks for responding.
His nutrionist said the same thing about the bike; we don't have one but I may invest in one. The weather hasn't been cooperative for outdoor riding lately. We've been on water only with skim milk at breakfast & lunch for about three weeks now. I did let him have some lemonade when we went out to family dinner but we limited it to one glass.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
My son is playing football and has to make weight. He started at 79 and hit the goal (75) about two weeks ago. They weighed in tonight and he's at 77 (ARGH). Since school started back we haven't been exercising as much as we did during the summer and they eat pizza, enchilads, spaghetti, lots of heavy food for lunch.

The menfolks in my life are telling me he can drop the 2pounds in water weight by 7:30 am Saturday if I do just raw fruits & veggies tomorrow, 64 oz of water and a lot of exercise. They also told me not to feed him breakfast until after weigh-in Saturday.

I know my son wants to play as this is the grand opening and he's been practicing hard so I'm sure he'll cooperate but I just wanna make sure its safe.

Either way we're going to make some more changes to his eating/exercise habits to make sure he maintains once we get him down but is it even possible to lose 2 pounds in 24 hours?

My son is six & 4"3. He's not really fat but he does have a belly.

Thanks!
I was about 80 lbs. in 3rd grade. I played college football and love the game as much as anyone, but if taking a poop right before weigh-in doesn't do the trick then I wouldn't hesitate for a second to blow it off.

Listen, the guys I know that had bad backs before they were 30 all played pee-wee league football. I don't think I would start my kids that young and I certainly wouldn't be going psycho with making weight. I don't think it's unsafe, but I wonder what he would learn from that.

Concussions would not be a major concern at that age. They just are not big enough or fast enough to really jostle eachother's brains yet, but I think that the orthopedic concerns are totally valid.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
2 pounds in 2 days is no big deal. its kind of funny to be doing it at 6 years old, but it can be done without health risks.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Here's an excellent chance to teach your son not to be concerned with arbitrary BS standards imposed by the idiots in charge. If they don't want him on the team due to 2 pounds, tell them FU. And save your son from concussions, torn-up knees, etc.

Get him a dog instead and let them go running in the park.
I played youth league football when i was a kid, and these requirements were put in place for a reason. It is for the safety of the kids at that age not to be playing with kids that are twice their weight. Plus, dropping 2 pounds takes almost no effort at all. Most people see a 1-3lb fluctuation daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot
Have him play soccer. I love football but six years old is way too young to be playing football. Eleven or 12 is the earliest that boys should start football. Playing soccer will give him more exercise and do more for his coordination than football.

while soccer will provide more exercise, it's really a moot point. I'm sure the kid knows what soccer is and is still choosing football as the sport he wants to play. Why make him play a sport he doesnt want to play? Also, six is not too young to play football. I played from the age of 6 up to about 13, and suffered no series injuries, only minor ones such as scrapes and bruises. While playing, I never once saw a player whether on our team or the opposing team get seriously injured. Not saying it doesnt happen, but people see how violent NFL and college can be and want to equate it to all levels of football.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post

while soccer will provide more exercise, it's really a moot point. I'm sure the kid knows what soccer is and is still choosing football as the sport he wants to play. Why make him play a sport he doesnt want to play? Also, six is not too young to play football. I played from the age of 6 up to about 13, and suffered no series injuries, only minor ones such as scrapes and bruises. While playing, I never once saw a player whether on our team or the opposing team get seriously injured. Not saying it doesnt happen, but people see how violent NFL and college can be and want to equate it to all levels of football.
My issue is not the injuries (that is a whole different discussion) but is about the benefits of playing football at this age. I don't think you gain any skills from football at this age that can't be learned starting in junior high. I also don't think kids get much exercise from football at this age. There is a lot of standing around. I started playing in 6th grade at age 11 and also coached boys at that age.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My issue is not the injuries (that is a whole different discussion) but is about the benefits of playing football at this age. I don't think you gain any skills from football at this age that can't be learned starting in junior high. I also don't think kids get much exercise from football at this age. There is a lot of standing around. I started playing in 6th grade at age 11 and also coached boys at that age.
I think that's totally reasonable.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Well we did it this year because my son is on the autism spectrum and while he love sports; he's a little bit slower to catch on to the rules and how to play. We were going to wait till next year but because of his size next year he would play with 7,8 and 9 year old kids versus 5,6 and 7 year old kids. Plus with his current team they don't keep score so it's not quite as competitive (cause all the kids think their side had more points). It's also giving him some social interaction cause the program is really big on the team concept.

After this season we'll prob go back to baseball or basketball, which he's played before.

Last edited by nat_at772; 08-17-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness