Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

I do like Herbalife shakes - they are meal replacement shakes and you add the protein powder. They are helpful to me because I was guilty of skipping breakfast and lunch while at work - then eating too much for dinner OR eating something like a candy bar out of the machine at work. I never seem to have time to leave the office during lunch.

With a shake, I know I'm getting at least 8 oz of water, plus the meal replacement and 15-20 grams of protein. It's quick and easy and I can handle it with my busy schedule. Then I just eat a regular meal for dinner and watch my portion sizes. I've been doing this for about a year and have lost 15 lbs.

Plus, you can add ingredients to make them taste really good; I like to used crush ice and make them like a smoothie; and switch up flavors often.

On the week-ends, I don't usually have them because I have more time to find/eat/prepare something healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
I replaced my lunch with this "shake" and it works wonders. 1)because it is derived from real, whole foods, 2) it is protein based. Protein does in fact play a role in weight loss because it supports lean muscle growth, and is more filling than carbs. Avoid processed carbs like the plague and work out with moderate to high intensity as indicated by another poster, and you will lose weight! This beauty has helped me lost a ton of weight.

2 cups probiotics (I make my own kefir which is simple enough to do, or you can just use yogurt. NOT most yogurt which is complete garbage, but a high quality greek style which has more protein that the others).
2 cups organic berries (I use frozen strawberries and blueberries)
1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1-2 tablespoons of flaxseeds
about 1 cup of water (to thin it out a bit for drinkability)
1 scoop quality protein powder. Nothing with soy which is trash. I use either Jay Robb whey vanilla, or metaorganics whey vanilla. Another decent one (100% vegan) is garden of life's natural raw vanilla protein powder. These provide great taste and some quality protein.

This shake is an amazing natural meal replacement that is still whole food, not processed trash. You body needs nutrients and this gives it to you. You will notice that your digestive health will increase and you will become more regular in the bathroom, provided you use a quality probiotic that's still alive. And by the way, it tastes really good

Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I replaced my lunch with this "shake" and it works wonders. 1)because it is derived from real, whole foods, 2) it is protein based. Protein does in fact play a role in weight loss because it supports lean muscle growth, and is more filling than carbs. Avoid processed carbs like the plague and work out with moderate to high intensity as indicated by another poster, and you will lose weight! This beauty has helped me lost a ton of weight.

2 cups probiotics (I make my own kefir which is simple enough to do, or you can just use yogurt. NOT most yogurt which is complete garbage, but a high quality greek style which has more protein that the others).
2 cups organic berries (I use frozen strawberries and blueberries)
1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1-2 tablespoons of flaxseeds
about 1 cup of water (to thin it out a bit for drinkability)
1 scoop quality protein powder. Nothing with soy which is trash. I use either Jay Robb whey vanilla, or metaorganics whey vanilla. Another decent one (100% vegan) is garden of life's natural raw vanilla protein powder. These provide great taste and some quality protein.

This shake is an amazing natural meal replacement that is still whole food, not processed trash. You body needs nutrients and this gives it to you. You will notice that your digestive health will increase and you will become more regular in the bathroom, provided you use a quality probiotic that's still alive. And by the way, it tastes really good
For the most part, I LOVE this advice! I especially like that you're making your own kefir - I make both kefir and filmjolk (drinkable Swedish yogurt that is a bit milder and smoother than kefir - but I like them both). I use either of these to make a smoothie nearly every morning - and I also add most of what you add - a variety of fruits and sometimes chia seeds (thanks for reminding me that I need to get some flaxseed).

Since I don't add protein, I don't add water. I do add a little dollop of local honey. For fruits, I add frozen blueberries and peaches and strawberries (all organic and preferably locally grown) -and sometimes a banana. I use about 8 ounces of yogurt or kefir.

Wow, I feel so good after I drink this!

I agree that you will notice a definitely nice feeling throughout your digestive tract as well due to the probiotics.

Oh, here's another shake that is a bit lighter - and boy is it fresh and different!

8 ounces filmjolk, greek yogurt or kefir
1/2 a banana, or when in season - a couple of fresh figs
1 tsp of rose water
A sprinkling of cardamom
A little crushed ice

Blend together - wow, it is DELICIOUS. This is a Lebanese drink.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I never buy meal replacement shakes but I make my own smoothies with 1 scoop whey powder which has 20 gms protein in it, 1/2 cup berries, about 3/4 cup almond or coconut milk, a little stevia, some fiber supplement, and vanilla, almond, or orange extract. I whir it up in my little blender and drink it right out of the cup and it's quite good. Sometimes I add some combo of 1/2 banana, peanut butter, and cocoa powder instead of the berries.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For the most part, I LOVE this advice! I especially like that you're making your own kefir - I make both kefir and filmjolk (drinkable Swedish yogurt that is a bit milder and smoother than kefir - but I like them both). I use either of these to make a smoothie nearly every morning - and I also add most of what you add - a variety of fruits and sometimes chia seeds (thanks for reminding me that I need to get some flaxseed).

Since I don't add protein, I don't add water. I do add a little dollop of local honey. For fruits, I add frozen blueberries and peaches and strawberries (all organic and preferably locally grown) -and sometimes a banana. I use about 8 ounces of yogurt or kefir.

Wow, I feel so good after I drink this!

I agree that you will notice a definitely nice feeling throughout your digestive tract as well due to the probiotics.

Oh, here's another shake that is a bit lighter - and boy is it fresh and different!

8 ounces filmjolk, greek yogurt or kefir
1/2 a banana, or when in season - a couple of fresh figs
1 tsp of rose water
A sprinkling of cardamom
A little crushed ice

Blend together - wow, it is DELICIOUS. This is a Lebanese drink.
Thanks! I must try these!

I am surprised more people don't make kefir! It's simple and very good.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
If you can get past the MLM nature of its distribution, some people really like Herbalife.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I never buy meal replacement shakes but I make my own smoothies with 1 scoop whey powder which has 20 gms protein in it, 1/2 cup berries, about 3/4 cup almond or coconut milk, a little stevia, some fiber supplement, and vanilla, almond, or orange extract. I whir it up in my little blender and drink it right out of the cup and it's quite good. Sometimes I add some combo of 1/2 banana, peanut butter, and cocoa powder instead of the berries.
This is what I was looking for. I make my own smoothies as well, but need protein added in to keep me full. There isn't a lot of protein I am a fan of, so I tend to eat a lot of veggies and fruit and am always starving.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Protein doesn't make you feel anywhere near as full as eating alot of fiber/whole grain.

I suggest upping your fiber intake. It also slows carb absorption.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I personally feel that adding protein powder is inferior to developing and maintaining health, "real food" choices and a balanced diet. However, if a person isn't going to eat healthy, "real food," then at least some protein powders aren't as bad a choice as, say, a plate full of nachos and poking a stick in one's eye!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM

252 posts, read 459,069 times
Can you share your current diet and workout plan?

This way everyone can provide suggestion on where to make adjustment. There is a possibility you are already consuming enough protein from food and do not require any powder.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness