Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times

Advertisements

I did a search, and just found this article from July:

Michael Clarke Duncan Hospitalized -- Cardiac Arrest | TMZ.com

Quote:
TMZ has learned ... Omarosa discovered the "Green Mile" actor in a state of cardiac arrest just before 2:00 AM.

We're told Omarosa performed CPR and was able to resuscitate the 54-year-old.

MCD was transported to a nearby hospital where he was immediately admitted to the ICU.

Sources tell us ... Duncan's heart rate is now stable and Omarosa is by his side. Doctors are performing tests to figure out why the actor's heart stopped in the first place.

UPDATE:

MCD's publicist tells us, "According to doctors, Michael Clarke Duncan suffered a myocardial infarction early this morning. He is now stable and we look forward to his full recovery."
So his heart completely stopped in the middle of the night, and his girlfriend managed to get it going again.

Back in July, the doctors thought he would have a full recovery?

Then there was this follow up article also in July:

Michael Clarke Duncan -- His Heart Beats Strong | TMZ.com

Quote:
Our sources say ... Michael has been on a respirator at the hospital since his admission, but we're told he's "breathing above the respirator" -- a good sign.

We're told tests were performed Monday and doctors determined Michael has a "very strong heartbeat" and they are optimistic. That's especially good news because Michael has been sedated ever since his heart attack and doctors aren't sure what his condition will be -- worst case scenario could involve paralysis, although that's looking less likely.
This is a very good analysis article:

R.I.P. Michael Clarke Duncan; Cardiovascular Disease Risk Prevention | The Intellectual Revolution
Quote:
Some people may be wondering how did Michael Clarke Duncan have a heart attack? He was a well known vegetarian since 2009 and appeared to be in well enough physical shape. I can’t answer that question because I don’t know his personal or family medical history and if I did, I still wouldn’t be able to answer it because of the HIPAA Privacy Rule. What I can do is talk about the risks associated with heart attacks (also known as myocardial infarctions to healthcare workers). As noted in the video above, his decision to become vegetarian hinged on the fact that he ate a lot of meat and had a lot of illnesses. This is great that he took the time to assess his lifestyle and make appropriate changes, however I fear that given his medical history and eating habits ($5000 worth of meat is a lot of food), the damage to his coronary arteries (vessels providing blood to the heart) may have already been done.
Also worth noting, is the video of Michael Clarke Duncan in the above article interviewing with PETA happened sometime after April 14, 2012, since it shows this date at one point on the video.

Last edited by RD5050; 09-04-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM

252 posts, read 459,094 times
Great find! This explains how eating habits can be dangerous even if you are in good shape.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Michael Clarke Duncan was one of the biggest and most physically fit looking guys in the entertainment industry.

He switched from eating lots of meats to a total vegetarian diet 3 years ago.

Here is a video of him talking about the switch:

Michael Clarke Duncan: 'I Am a Vegetarian' | PETA.org

How can a man this healthy die of a heart attack at such a young age, especially after he became a vegetarian?

I will be curious to learn about what doctors have to say?

I wonder if he had a heart condition which was previously undetected, or if it is related directly to his current or previous diet?

He dropped his protein levels significantly when he switched to vegan, based on his stating that he only needed 12% protein in the above video, so I wonder if that itself could be an issue for a man with such large muscles to maintain?

(moderators - please do not merge this into the other celebrity forum thread. I would like to discuss this from a fitness perspective ... and not have it filled with condolence messages).
How physically fit you are has nothing to do with it. I know a guy who is 72 and is in great shape for his age. He's borderline skinny, very active and has very little body fat. However, he had a mild heart attack this past spring. Everybody was shocked because he was the last person you'd think would suffer a heart attack. I've also heard of guys who were avid joggers or exercisers in great shape and who just dropped dead during a job. By the same token, I had an uncle who died this past spring at age 83 who drank and smoked heavily his whole life. He did eat well and he wasn't obese by any means, but he would literally start his day drinking and smoking at 6 in the morning and do this all day long. We never expected the guy to live into his 80's. We always thought he'd die of a heart attack, lung cancer, stroke or anything else related to his drinking and smoking habits. But, alas, that wasn't the case. Ironically, he died from an infection after having surgery on his foot. How his liver, lungs and heart ever held up after all those years of smoking and drinking, I'll never know. There are so many variables that go into determining who will have heart issues and who won't that it's just hard to predict who will die of a heart attack and who won't. I truly believe however that genes play the main role in heart health. My uncle who passed came from a family lineage that included many family members who lived into their 80's and 90's. I think he just had really good genes and because of this it helped his heart, liver, etc. resist all of the ill effects of long term alcohol and tobacco use.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
So basically, he didn't go from being just some omnivore who eats a healthy omnivorous diet, including moderate amounts of meats and dairy, nuts/legumes/fruits, grains, larger proportions of vegetables. He went from eating LOTS of meat - in other words, overdoing it. Eating more meat than he should.

That doesn't indicate that meat is bad for you. It indicates that TOO MUCH meat is bad for you. Just like TOO MUCH soy is bad for you. Just like TOO MUCH analogue is bad for you. And TOO MUCH sugar is bad for you. Too much of anything is unhealthy, and this guy spent years and years eating too much meat. By the time he became a vegetarian, he had already experienced illness caused by poor eating and lifestyle habits. So much of the damage had already been done. And then he switched to something drastically different. His body had to change to adjust to the new lifestyle. Three years after that drastic switch, he is dead.

It's sad, but it's not surprising.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I wonder if steroids use either now or in his early years was a factor in weakening his heart ?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So basically, he didn't go from being just some omnivore who eats a healthy omnivorous diet, including moderate amounts of meats and dairy, nuts/legumes/fruits, grains, larger proportions of vegetables. He went from eating LOTS of meat - in other words, overdoing it. Eating more meat than he should.

That doesn't indicate that meat is bad for you. It indicates that TOO MUCH meat is bad for you. Just like TOO MUCH soy is bad for you. Just like TOO MUCH analogue is bad for you. And TOO MUCH sugar is bad for you. Too much of anything is unhealthy, and this guy spent years and years eating too much meat. By the time he became a vegetarian, he had already experienced illness caused by poor eating and lifestyle habits. So much of the damage had already been done. And then he switched to something drastically different. His body had to change to adjust to the new lifestyle. Three years after that drastic switch, he is dead.

It's sad, but it's not surprising.
Too much meat does seem like the most likely reason. I've never heard of anyone who keeps $5000 of meat in their home. Even at $10/lb, that would equal 500lbs.

I would also be curious to know what illnesses he suffered from before he switched to vegan? He mentions he was frequently ill in the video.

Recent news articles said there will be no investigation into the cause of his death since he was known to have heart issues.

But it would be beneficial to know his health history to help others learn from his experience.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I wonder if steroids use either now or in his early years was a factor in weakening his heart ?
Lots of interesting responses in that Yahoo link. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr wrote a book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, claiming that heart disease can be reversed.

Here's the book description:
Quote:
A powerful call for a paradigm shift in heart disease therapy.

Based on the groundbreaking results of a twenty-year nutritional study by Dr. Esselstyn, a preeminent researcher and clinician, this book illustrates that a plant-based, oil-free diet can not only prevent and stop the progression of heart disease but can also reverse its effects.

The proof lies in the incredible outcomes for patients who have followed Dr. Esselstyn's program, including a number of patients in his original study who had been told by their cardiologists that they had less than a year to live. Within months of starting the program, Dr. Esselstyn's patients began to improve dramatically, and twenty years later, they remain free of symptoms.
I believe there are other doctor's out there, usually those peddling their books/videos on PBS, that also assert this claim.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr wrote a book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, claiming that heart disease can be reversed.

Here's the book description:

I believe there are other doctor's out there, usually those peddling their books/videos on PBS, that also assert this claim.
The problem with your advertising message, NJ2MDdude, is that it claims you can reverse heart disease by following a plant-based diet (and reading a book that you can conveniently buy from that website you linked us to).

Unfortunately, Mr. Duncan (which is who this thread is ABOUT), went on a plant-based diet and not only did he not reverse his heart disease, he died from it.

Perhaps you might consider finding a different audience to sell the book. Like - people who are still alive

Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
A lot of factor can cause it.

Family medical history, drastic change in diet plan, protein deficit, unknown heart issue. Only his doctor can answer what exactly happened?
This is true. he was a large man and this causes the heart to work harder in general. It is sad he is gone at a rather young age for today. Also, genetics play a role like above. like How many non-smoking, non-drinking healthy people have died young while some smoke, drink and do everything the opposite but live into their 80's and beyond. There is a definite influence into body chemistry and genetics. I am not going to joke with this example either-Ozzy Osbourne, with his history is still going strong to the point science wants to study him due to the level of abuse he put himself through-Levels that would have killed most. This is certainly not a license to gamble with one's health but it is a mysterious subject nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness