Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Does anyone else notice this with stairs? They never seem to get easier, while every other physical exercise does.
Yes, with one set of stairs at work, the side entry closest to the parking lot....even after 3 years. As far as warm up before getting to the stairs, I'm walking up a gentle sloped hill, from the bottom, up 2 different sets of stairs, before I even get to the front door. The killer stairs are located in an atrium-like area, and it does feel very sauna-like in the summer. The stairs are excessively steep, probably the steepest allowed in a building of that vintage. They are especially brutal first thing in the am when I'm in a hurry to get to my desk. And after leg day at the gym. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I go, I am always winded at the top. I go up & down them at least 3 times a day. Perhaps later in the day, they are slightly easier since I climb slower... I'm not so eager to get back to work after my breaks.

By the way, I lift weights (including squats) 4d/wk, do various types of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, speed walking, stair master, and bootcamp which includes running bleacher stairs) 6 d/wk.

Last edited by caligirlz; 10-17-2012 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,980,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Yes, with one set of stairs at work, the side entry closest to the parking lot....even after 3 years. As far as warm up before getting to the stairs, I'm walking up a gentle sloped hill, from the bottom, up 2 different sets of stairs, before I even get to the front door. The killer stairs are located in an atrium-like area, and it does feel very sauna-like in the summer. The stairs are excessively steep, probably the steepest allowed in a building of that vintage. They are especially brutal first thing in the am when I'm in a hurry to get to my desk. And after leg day at the gym. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I go, I am always winded at the top. I go up & down them at least 3 times a day. Perhaps later in the day, they are slightly easier since I climb slower... I'm not so eager to get back to work after my breaks.

By the way, I lift weights (including squats) 4d/wk, do various types of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, speed walking, stair master, and bootcamp which includes running bleacher stairs) 6 d/wk.
I'm not an expert, but here are my thoughts.

One possibility is you workout so often that your body is too exhausted to climb stairs after your workout. You may need to give yourself a day off from exercise to recover. This is what is recommended for people who lift weights, so their muscles are given a chance to rest and rebuild.

Another possibility is your body is lacking in either nutrition or hydration. Maybe you need to eat or drink something before you climb stairs? Perhaps an energy drink like Powerade or Gatorade? Or you may simply need water.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
By stairs, I mean real stairs and not the Stairmaster.

I've noticed that with nearly every other exercise - running, bicycling, weight training, tae bo, swimming, what-have-you... the first time I start with any of these after a long break off, I can feel myself struggling to finish the workout or keep up, but with consistent practice, I can definitely feel it getting easier. I got back into the gym 3 weeks ago after a few months off and already I have to increase my workouts because I'm already getting used to it.

But for some reason with stairs, they NEVER get any easier. I live in NYC, so I climb stairs all day, every day. It is unavoidable. But for some reason, I am just as winded climbing 6 flights out of the subway as I was a year ago when I moved here. Even climbing the 2 flights up to my apartment, I can feel a strong burn and my heart is racing just as much as it ever was.

Does anyone else notice this with stairs? They never seem to get easier, while every other physical exercise does.
If you push hard, it will get easier. After warming up and stretching out, I do the stairs before I do anything other exercises. When I first started doing this, my legs would hurt like crazy because of the lactic acid buildup. Gradually it got easier and easier. Now I can run up the stairs with weights for about 15 minutes.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I'm not an expert, but here are my thoughts.

One possibility is you workout so often that your body is too exhausted to climb stairs after your workout. You may need to give yourself a day off from exercise to recover. This is what is recommended for people who lift weights, so their muscles are given a chance to rest and rebuild.

Another possibility is your body is lacking in either nutrition or hydration. Maybe you need to eat or drink something before you climb stairs? Perhaps an energy drink like Powerade or Gatorade? Or you may simply need water.
RD5050 Thank you for your thoughtful response.
I do rest, 1 day a week is a complete rest day, and another 2 days is rest from the weights (but I still do cardio).

I am very well hydrated, I usually drink 1-1.5 gallons of water/day. I don't drink any sugary or sugar-free drinks, so the Gatorade is out. I'm not familiar with Powerade. I've usually had 2-3 glasses of water by the time I leave for work. I sometime drink a cup of coffee before I go to work. And I always eat a well balanced breakfast.

I've been working out at this level of intensity since last November, but I still have the same level of shortness of breath at the top of those stairs, in comparison to my first 2 years at the company. I do think I have an issue with endurance, but I'm not sure if it is nutrient based or disease based. I do have a history of fibromyalgia which I think contributes to my being sorer and a slower recovery than the average person. I'm actually thrilled to be exercising 6 days/wk. I'm actually following a set program, developed by my trainer, and I completely trust his judgment...now.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

503 posts, read 771,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
........ I've been working out at this level of intensity since last November, but I still have the same level of shortness of breath at the top of those stairs, in comparison to my first 2 years at the company. I do think I have an issue with endurance, but I'm not sure if it is nutrient based or disease based. I do have a history of fibromyalgia which I think contributes to my being sorer and a slower recovery than the average person. I'm actually thrilled to be exercising 6 days/wk. I'm actually following a set program, developed by my trainer, and I completely trust his judgment...now.

For whatever reason I am the same way. I was in tip top shape but those stairs would wind me pretty much every time. I have always had an endurance issue as well. Never have been able to break a 10 minute mile - and I have trained and tried!! Well, maybe endurance isn't the right work because I can go decent distances - just slowly. Have you always been this way? Or just adult on-set?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
For whatever reason I am the same way. I was in tip top shape but those stairs would wind me pretty much every time. I have always had an endurance issue as well. Never have been able to break a 10 minute mile - and I have trained and tried!! Well, maybe endurance isn't the right work because I can go decent distances - just slowly. Have you always been this way? Or just adult on-set?
Well...I'm not currently in tip top shape, but working on it...so, I guess I would say, getting winded at the top of these stairs is definitely adult onset...I've only been in this job for 3 years. I used to live on the 7th floor of a complex, and I would get winded when I did the stairs for exercise...I usually had to stop to catch my breath on the 4th-5th floor. As for running, I used to run short distances in high school, like the 100 yard hurdles - no problem there, and the 440 - I hated that race...too long. I haven't done any running/jogging since I was in college, and before my 2 back surgeries. When I used to downhill ski, I'd have to stop at the midway point of a black diamond run, or mogul course, especially if it was especially steep. I think that is pretty normal. There were some hills I could make it all the way down...it just was a matter of practice.

So in answer to your question, no I have not always been this way. It's definitely an adult onset, and post injury/surgery thing.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
I am climbing 108 steps in my local area 5 times per week, and repeating this 4 times. It is really not getting any easier even though I have been working up to this for 3 months. I do recover more quickly though, which my niece said means I am getting fitter. I just wish it would feel easier though!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM

209 posts, read 465,845 times
Not only gravity but you are working the biggest, most gas sucking muscles in the body and overcoming inertia is a power move. A recipe for hurt.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,246 times
Default Why do they Never get easier

I had to comment on this one because I have been through this and laughed so hard I thought the same thing. First of all every answer is right especially about the gravity thing.
However, I walk rapidly (as part of my workout) 6 flights of stairs 4 times a day.
I have never been in such great shape in my life.
Prior to this I have done just about everything to get my heart in shape
but nothing would help me climb the stairs in the subway and it started to **** me off.
I asked my sister who is an athlete that stairs are probably one of the hardest most vigorous workouts you can do.
She stated that the elliptical,is not as intense nothing can compare to it. Stair workouts are hard surface nothing to bounce off of and weight related the heavier you are the more intense and the uphill fight against gravity combined is enough to scare off the best of athletes.
I recently went on a hike, trail vacation with my son in Vermont and we were huffing and puffing I was so annoyed but in that 2 week conditioning it became so much easier because we were doing this everyday.
That is when I started this journey I am conditioning myself for 8 flights soon.
I have lost 50 pounds so far. Lets see who far I can go. ITs now a challenge against me and these confounded stairs I am totally addicted.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
"It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg Lemond.

Seriously, of course you are going to improve with more training. I used to go up 10 flights in my old office building. A few years ago it was torture, even though I exercised back then. Then, I stepped up the training and it was clearly noticeable to me that going up those 10 flights wasn't nearly as hard. I wasn't training on stairs, just increased the amount of climbing I did on my bike. Get more fit, become stronger. I see so many people wasting time running/cycling on flat terrain. They seek out flat terrain! Why?! Because it's easier I suppose. But that's not the point of a workout. I personally look for hills whe I want to pound. Either running or cycling, I hit the hills. I stick to flatter terrain whe I want a recovery ride or run. You get stronger in the hills, and the speed with which someone can ascend is the true test of power.

BTW, there is a whole sport on climbing stairs in buildings. It's pretty wild, and some of the fittest and most hardcore athletes participate in this obscure yet crazy tortureous sufferfest sport. It's called tower running and is a global activity - check out towerrunnng.com for info. Crazy stuff.

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness