Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Just suck it in all the time and no one will know the difference!
Living up to your username here? Seriously, though, LOL. Good moment of humor here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM

515 posts, read 1,000,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchew0 View Post
I eat really well (fiber, protein, some carbs) and work out 3-5 times a week. I do Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack and some of her other stuff and run on the treadmill at an incline. I don't drink soda or juices, only water most of the time. But I'm still not happy with the way my belly looks. If I suck it in, that's the way I want it to look. Right now, there's a little belly still protruding. How can I get it to be even flatter?
OP I'm going to make two assumptions here:1.) that you don't weight train with heavy weights and 2.) you're female.

Typically females like cardio and "toning" workouts with lighter weights due to a fear of becoming bulky if they lift heavy weights. This style of workout can and does work if you are very genetically gifted and your body responds well to it. Also, this style of workout does work for some women in their teens into their 20's but will inevitably fail due to slowing metabolism.

"But look at Jillian! She's ripped!"

Jillian didn't get there by lifting light weights for reps and running. She lifted heavy weights which build lean muscle and burn fat which give you and everyone that toned look they want. It is downright essential that you lift heavy weights to 1.) burn fat 2.) increase your metabolism and 3.) reshape your body so you get what everyone really wants:

a body that looks great naked

I'll leave you with two thoughts. The first is this: go to a wall in your home and try to push it down. Seriously, go over to that wall and knock it over. Really strain against it. If you're still reading, shame on you! You should be pushing that wall over!

I kid, I kid

But my point is, seriously now, just imagine trying to push something big and heavy, something impossible to move. One of the first things you'll do when you try to move this object is tense your entire core in preparation. You'll suck in your stomach and bear down almost like, excuse the language, you're about to go number 2. You want ripped abs? Lifting heavy weights causes you to try to pull your stomach into your spine and tensing everything which builds tons and tons of core strength.

Lastly, this image:

This is a picture of 5lbs of fat vs 5lbs of muscle. When you build muscle, you actually lean out and achieve that toned look. This is why weight training is necessary, no matter if you're a woman or a man.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM

110 posts, read 211,015 times
You have to do cardio.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,350,195 times
The word 'cardio' is the the worst, along the lines with 'toned'. Grammatically it doesn't even make sense... "You have to do cardiovascular".

CONDITIONING.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM

110 posts, read 211,015 times
*Rolls eyes* Like I said you definitely need to do cardio to lose belly fat so you'll look toned like me.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Can't spot train. If your body carries fat in your abdomen then that is where your body carries fat. Abs are made in the kitchen. Clean up your diet and do core work with whatever other exercises you are doing.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 PM

387 posts, read 1,042,211 times
1) Start tracking your calories. If it is body fat you may be eating more than you think, even if you're eating healthy.

2) Plank work is the best thing I have found for flattening the abs. I don't do crunches, ever. I do tons of plank variations, both extended arm, forearm, and side planks. Leg up, knee in, down dog to plank, all kinds of stuff. You want to work the transverse abdominals. That's the layer underneath the rectus abdominus (6-pack) and obliques. The transverse abs act as a corset to hold in all your organs. They also act as stabilizers so you can also work your abs by doing balance challenging activities.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,350,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners View Post
*Rolls eyes* Like I said you definitely need to do cardio to lose belly fat so you'll look toned like me.
I'm jealous. I'd like to see photos of your amazing body.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,434,839 times
Belly fat can also be due to years of bad dieting, as undigested food can stick to your abdomen walls. Along with cardiovascular and core exercises you should drink plenty of water. I hear lemon water is good for cleaning out your system, or if you haven't done so in a while, take a laxative to loosen whatever is stuck to your abdomen walls. You'll crap a lot, but you'll loose some belly fat...

Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM

387 posts, read 1,042,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Belly fat can also be due to years of bad dieting, as undigested food can stick to your abdomen walls. Along with cardiovascular and core exercises you should drink plenty of water. I hear lemon water is good for cleaning out your system, or if you haven't done so in a while, take a laxative to loosen whatever is stuck to your abdomen walls. You'll crap a lot, but you'll loose some belly fat...
Do you mean your colon walls? There are more gentle ways to cleanse the colon than taking harsh laxatives which will give you loose stools and a lot of discomfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness