Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I understand that, but let's take FBI, Marines, etc out of the discussion for a minute and talk about the general civilian population, essentially the average Joe & Jane out there in society who simply want to be more fit and (as one poster put it in another thread) look great naked. This is what nearly everyone wants, more muscle & less fat. I mean very very few can actually say to themselves "Nah, I've got too much muscle" or "Nah, I'd rather not lose any fat". Bodyweight exercises are the key building block to this.

Weight training is great, but for a person to go straight into weight training without mastering basic bodyweight exercises, they are essentially skipping a step in the journey that is fitness. Weight training is actually the easy way out for a lot of people. That's why you see tons of strong guys who can't do 1 pull-up or 1 correct dip (rarely see guys go to 90 degrees).

This may sound radical, but if it was up to me and my goal was a more fit America, I wouldn't let anyone be allowed to use weights until they can prove basic proficiency in bodyweight exercises. For example, you shouldn't even be allowed to start bench pressing anything until you do at least 10 correct push-ups & at least 5 correct dips. No leg press machine until you can squat below parallel or something like that. No lat pull-down or rowing machine til you can do a few pullups....you get what I'm saying.
Radical indeed but I get the gist of what you're saying 120%. One of my friends is an avid weight lifter and has been doing so for many years. I've worked out with him a few times and every time we exercised I noticed he never did little to no body weight exercises. I've NEVER seen him do dips, chin ups, pull ups, squats or anything. Maybe a few push ups but NEVER did I see him do anything like that. So, in short he has weight lifting strength but he doesn't necessarily have the strength to control his body, which I find retarded. Not to say I expect anyone to do the human flag but please be able to do the basics before you even bother lifting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I don't do anything but bodyweight excercises. It's total and complete freedom. As long as I can find a place to hang, no matter where I am, I can work out.

I don't think I'll ever touch a weight again.

I feel the same way. I still love lifting weights but at the end of the day, if you can't make it to the gym, there's so much you can do with your own body weight that you'll be surprised.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I don't do anything but bodyweight excercises. It's total and complete freedom. As long as I can find a place to hang, no matter where I am, I can work out.

I don't think I'll ever touch a weight again.

I've arrived at that point as well, but still do some light DB work. We simply have to do what works for each of us.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
One of my friends is an avid weight lifter and has been doing so for many years. I've worked out with him a few times and every time we exercised I noticed he never did little to no body weight exercises. I've NEVER seen him do dips, chin ups, pull ups, squats or anything. Maybe a few push ups but NEVER did I see him do anything like that.
If he is not even doing those things, especially squats, then he is not engaging in a proper weight lifting program. Anyone can lift weights, but that does not mean it is a proper routine, sounds more like a "bro" routine.

A proper lifting program will incorporate items you listed as an accessory, and it is not a proper lifting routine at all if the person is not doing any squats.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If he is not even doing those things, especially squats, then he is not engaging in a proper weight lifting program. Anyone can lift weights, but that does not mean it is a proper routine, sounds more like a "bro" routine.

A proper lifting program will incorporate items you listed as an accessory, and it is not a proper lifting routine at all if the person is not doing any squats.
Yeah, its definitely a beef cake "bro science" workout that he does. Personally, it drives me nuts. He's in general good health but I don't understand the point of being able to lift some heavyweights and not lift your own self up.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Then he probably isn't lifting heavy weights.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
So last year, I decided to see what I truly think is a better or more beneficial form of exercise. So from January till June of last year, I did heavy weight lifting and less bodyweight. I did bodyweights mostly for warm ups and of course, I loved the gains I was making but I definitely looked more bulky lifting heavy. I also incorporated lifting light to get more tone.

Then from June of last year till January of this year, I started doing 90% bodyweight and just doing free weights for certain exercises I like to do. When I started doing bodyweight, I noticed that I lost some mass like in the first month or two and people noticed but what they also noticed was that I looked more "lean and ripped". Afterwards, I started doing more advanced bodyweight weight exercises (like isometrics, plyometrics, weight vest) and definitely felt like I was developing as much strength, endurance and explosiveness as if I did with weight lifting or lifting heavy.
Just curious. I'm assuming from the highlighted phrase you went back to weightlifting in January this year? If/When you did were you able to still lift as much weight as before? In other words, does bodyweight exercise allow you to keep your strength? Or was there a difference after 6 mos of 90% bodyweight exercises?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
And when bodyweight exercises get boring (which they can be to seasoned lifters), you add weight and just like that you're back to the low rep ranges (3-5) that you strive for in weightlifting.

I've been doing a lot of weighted pushups lately, it's not hard to throw a plate on your back, or you could ask someone to place it there for you at the gym. A backback with weights inside works too (works for pull-ups and dips too).

Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Point of bodyweight exercises is the lack of gym no? Or body awareness? Either way, if you're prepared or ready to put weights on your back for pushups or chains/weight on dips.. then you're in a gym and it'd probably be better to do a barbell exercise. Otherwise, you're being inefficient/showing off.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
I’ve thought about the whole “showing off” thing when I’m doing exercises that are considered unorthodox (weighted push-ups, box jumps, sprinting intervals on the treadmill). People look over at me, but I can’t worry about what others think, I’m over it.

If you can do the exercises, then do them to their full potential. Planks are a good example. To me, doing regular planks for minutes on end can get boring. So I put a plate on my back and go for as long as I can while maintaining a rigid posture (less than a minute). Some may consider this showing off, but what do you want me to do? Not strive for my full potential?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness