Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times

Advertisements

Four things seem to contribute to joint injuries:
  1. Excessive use (abuse) through activity
  2. Not enough use through inactivity
  3. Weight
  4. Age

If you can control 1 through 3, then 4 may not hit you as hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
For the same reason why trucks that regularly bounce and bump around, and carry extremely heavy loads, have to have more frequent suspension component replacements.

A decade of weightlifting won't necessarily mess you up, but that depends upon what you do. I've lifted off and on for 15 years and have experienced the "pain limit" where it's more than just ordinary muscle fatigue... that's the point where you stop. I've injured myself lifting, by doing too much. These hardcore bodybuilders surely do too much at some point in time... after all, there are all kinds of products on the market to help bodybuilders exceed their original abilities... eventually that catches up to you just like nitro-injecting an engine without upgrading its internal components. You can never upgrade your bones, tendons, etc... so it's entirely understandable why some people get really messed up after years of hardcore weightlifting.
I don't know where you shop but the only kinds of products that will do this are illegal and have lots of side effects.

Your truck comparison sound more like playing NFL football as opposed to lifting weights. I don't get bounced and bumped around when I lift. BTW, I have lifted on and off since 1966. A power-lifter at my local YMCA has me by at least 10 years.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Default Why do so many ex bodybuilders and weightlifters have hip replacements?

Del Boy,

Actually, exercise and weight lifting, when done appropriately, will increase bone density. So, it's actually good for your bones to get stronger.
It's been known for a while now that an over use of steroids will cause osteonecrosis, meaning loss of blood supply. Bones are living tissues and need blood supply in order to stay alive. So, what's happening with body builders and weightlifters is they are most likely using/abusing steroids causing osteonecrosis of the hip bone.

So, sometimes, I get very suspicious when a young athlete, for example, Bo Jackson, had a hip replacement. Obviously, one can't prove he used steroids and he is in a violent sport predispose to bone injuries, but it is still suspicious when many players in his position (running back) never had a hip replacement. The key factor to remember is YOUNG athlete needing a HIP REPLACEMENT, that is not normal. This is usually not a good sign if one suspects steroid abuse.

This among other things and I will be blunt, such as the scr_tum shriveling to raisin size because the lack of use in production of testosterone, so much testosterone is injected in the body when steroids are abused that the scrotums go into dormancy, but this is usually reversible when the male individual stops abusing steroids and the scrotums starts to produce testosterone again. I know you'll want a link to this part of the story, here's the first one I found from a story written in Esquire. Side Effects of Steroids - Side Effects of Taking Anabolic Steroids - Esquire

Osteonecrosis also happens in situation where steroids is used in high doses such as people with the disease lupus, not just bodybuilders or weightlifters. The most common risk factor is a history of high dose steroid treatment for some medical condition (e.g., Lupus). Osteonecrosis Brochure

Steroid-induced osteoporosis

Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Del Boy,

Actually, exercise and weight lifting, when done appropriately, will increase bone density. So, it's actually good for your bones to get stronger.
It's been known for a while now that an over use of steroids will cause osteonecrosis, meaning loss of blood supply. Bones are living tissues and need blood supply in order to stay alive. So, what's happening with body builders and weightlifters is they are most likely using/abusing steroids causing osteonecrosis of the hip bone.

So, sometimes, I get very suspicious when a young athlete, for example, Bo Jackson, had a hip replacement. Obviously, one can't prove he used steroids and he is in a violent sport predispose to bone injuries, but it is still suspicious when many players in his position (running back) never had a hip replacement. The key factor to remember is YOUNG athlete needing a HIP REPLACEMENT, that is not normal. This is usually not a good sign if one suspects steroid abuse.

This among other things and I will be blunt, such as the scr_tum shriveling to raisin size because the lack of use in production of testosterone, so much testosterone is injected in the body when steroids are abused that the scrotums go into dormancy, but this is usually reversible when the male individual stops abusing steroids and the scrotums starts to produce testosterone again. I know you'll want a link to this part of the story, here's the first one I found from a story written in Esquire. Side Effects of Steroids - Side Effects of Taking Anabolic Steroids - Esquire

Osteonecrosis also happens in situation where steroids is used in high doses such as people with the disease lupus, not just bodybuilders or weightlifters. The most common risk factor is a history of high dose steroid treatment for some medical condition (e.g., Lupus). Osteonecrosis Brochure

Steroid-induced osteoporosis
I just want to point out that anabolic steroids and corticosteoids are not the same thing, though both can have deleterious effects.

On Bo Jackson:

Jackson's Case Is Dividing The Doctors - New York Times

Jackson had a devastating injury while playing football. He developed aseptic necrosis after the injury.

"Experts said they were unaware of reports linking aseptic necrosis and anabolic steroids."

I would not assume a young athlete was using anabolic steroids if he had aseptic necrosis.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I just want to point out that anabolic steroids and corticosteoids are not the same thing, though both can have deleterious effects.

On Bo Jackson:

Jackson's Case Is Dividing The Doctors - New York Times

Jackson had a devastating injury while playing football. He developed aseptic necrosis after the injury.

"Experts said they were unaware of reports linking aseptic necrosis and anabolic steroids."

I would not assume a young athlete was using anabolic steroids if he had aseptic necrosis.
Yup,
I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
where did I say anabolic and cortico were the same?

On Bo Jackson, like I said in my post if you read it again, one can't prove he used steroids, he is in a violent sport predispose to injuries. It is just very suspicious as I said in my previous post. Actually, I'm glad you gave this quote, "Experts said they were unaware of reports linking aseptic necrosis and anabolic steroids."

Hold on here, so that we are on the same page. I was referring to a young athlete abusing anabolic steroids then needing hip replacement. I would agree with you that you shouldn't assume anything, but be suspicious. Assuming and suspicious are two different things.

Assume - Suppose to be the case, without proof: "afraid of what people are going to assume"

Suspicious-
Having or showing a cautious distrust of someone or something.
Causing one to have the idea or impression that something or someone is of questionable, dishonest, or dangerous character or condition

Last edited by Tappan Zee; 10-16-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Yup,
I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
where did I say anabolic and cortico were the same?

On Bo Jackson, like I said in my post if you read it again, one can't prove he used steroids, he is in a violent sport predispose to injuries. It is just very suspicious as I said in my previous post. Actually, I'm glad you gave this quote, "Experts said they were unaware of reports linking aseptic necrosis and anabolic steroids."

Hold on here, so that we are on the same page. I was referring to a young athlete abusing anabolic steroids then needing hip replacement. I would agree with you that you shouldn't assume anything, but be suspicious. Assuming and suspicious are two different things.

Assume - Suppose to be the case, without proof: "afraid of what people are going to assume"

Suspicious-
Having or showing a cautious distrust of someone or something.
Causing one to have the idea or impression that something or someone is of questionable, dishonest, or dangerous character or condition
But there apparently is no known association between anabolic steroids and aseptic necrosis of the hip.

It can occur after an injury, like Bo Jackson had. The article mentioned other injuries with which it has been associated. So I do not think it is correct to imply that a young person who gets aseptic necrosis has been using anabolic steroids.

Even if Jackson had used anabolic steroids, and I do not know if he did or not, the hip replacement was not due to that.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't know where you shop but the only kinds of products that will do this are illegal and have lots of side effects.

Your truck comparison sound more like playing NFL football as opposed to lifting weights. I don't get bounced and bumped around when I lift. BTW, I have lifted on and off since 1966. A power-lifter at my local YMCA has me by at least 10 years.
Even the stuff at the gym seems to have that effect. Amino acids, this booster, that booster, this multi-complex-physio-enhancer, that L-carni-tetra-blahdeeblahdeeblah, etc. You know, the stuff you find at every GNC in the country.

Sometimes, lifting weights can be like playing NFL football. As I said before, it depends upon what you do and how you do it. There's much to be said for form.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
I don't think you understand what amino acids are..

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
There are ways to get incredibly strong using calesthenics while simeltaneously protecting your joints. And you will look good. I stopped lifting weights and I like my body better.

It's ego. I can only thank God for allowing me to discover advanced calesthenics and I can only pray that I found it in time to heal my body.
With the assertion that it's possible to get "incredibly strong" with calisthenics and the mention of discovering "advanced calisthenics," it sounds as if Del Boy may be talking about workouts sometimes called old-school calisthenics or prison calisthenics. These are the exercises where you do variations on standard calisthenics--one-armed push-ups, handstand push-ups, pistol squats--that make them more difficult and turn them into low-rep exercises that can build significant strength. No doubt this is possible with these strenuous versions of the exercises. There are people who tout advantages they claim are associated with calisthenics, such as getting a good feel for how to move your body, and maybe there is something to this.

However, I wonder whether anyone has any thoughts on why these strenuous exercises should strain the joints any less than a similar level of exertion when lifting weights. I happen to believe that lifting will not place undue strain on the joints if done properly, but since the issue has been raised, I'm curious about what difference anyone might claim there is between any strain that lifting might place on the body and doing "advanced calisthenics."

Suppose you weigh 180 lb. If you do pull-ups, why will this place any less stress on the arm and shoulder joints than lat-pulling 180? Why would pistol squats strain the knees any less than 360-lb. leg presses? Is there any reason to believe that a handstand push-up would stress the joints any less than a 180-lb. shoulder press? It seems to me that there is a flaw in criticizing weight training for supposedly stressing the joints if the person doing the criticizing advocates calisthenic exercises that involve a level of exertion similar to pumping some fairly heavy iron. If I'm missing something, I'd be interested in thoughts and information on what the difference might be.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I don't think you understand what amino acids are..
But it's acid, so it must be bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness