Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 AM

387 posts, read 408,458 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody i'm new to this forum and in search of some good advice (trainer's?). As of right now now i'm 223 lbs strecthed onto a 6'7" frame. As of now my work-out consists of using the treadmill 3-4x/wk, with incline set to 10(max) and speed of 4.3 for 30-40 mins. I like to to do a fast walk because jogging feels like i'm cheating due to my long stride. I also use 50lbs dumbbells for curling/shoulder presses and the perfect-push ups for a change of pace.

I feel my diet is pretty good as i mainly eat chicken breasts, rice, spinach or broccoli. For breakfast I usually have a turkey sandwich (whole wheat bread) or 2 with a can of tuna. I also drink 140oz of water/day.

The bad....I love beer/liquor, the darker the better as I love lagers/bocks and anything Cognac. I will have the occasional large choco lovers blizzard from DQ. Last but not least i've been known to enjoy the kush, recreationally ofcourse.

What i'd like to accomplish is just putting a tad more size across the chest/shoulder area. I've belonged to gyms in the past but, it always seemed that outside of freeweights I was too tall to use the machines as I believe most have a max height usage of 6'2" or so. Also i'm 35 so while not over the hill yet, i've got some mileage on me. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
You lost me a bit, there. What, exactly, are your goals? Just to add some mass to your chest/shoulders?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You lost me a bit, there. What, exactly, are your goals? Just to add some mass to your chest/shoulders?
Yes, just a little bit more size. When I was younger it was easier because I was heavier and trained harder. Now I don't want to past 225.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 PM

478 posts, read 809,469 times
As another tall man (6'5"-6'6"ish), I have found that in general tall guys don't really need to do anything different than average guys when it comes to working out except for a few tweaks:

-consider lower rep sets, but a higher number of sets to keep the volume up. This has helped me considerably, especially with bench pressing and overhead pressing.

-the leg press is very useful for us, especially if your lower back isn't your strong point and going to near failure with squats is not safe for you

-do plenty of lumbar work and flye work (but not too heavy on the flyes because of the stress your shoulder will be exposed to in an extended position with long arms). I found that flyes helped my bench and chest considerably, and lumbar work makes me much more stable for squats and DL's. Leg raises to work the abs also help: long torsos demand a very strong core to support heavy lifting.

Apart from that, just eat adequate protein and calories and follow standard training protocols.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,162 times
Pushups...
Lots of them.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
6'7 - i did not know they stacked **** that far up.. just kidding

Bench press - incline, decline and regular
Standing Military press
Deadlift
Squats
Pull-ups

Check ou this book. Also, alcohol kills muscle cells so you might want to cut back on the alcohol especially the dark color ones.

Strength Training Anatomy-3rd Edition by Frederic-Delavier

Amazon.com: Strength Training Anatomy-3rd Edition (9780736092265): Frederic Delavier: Books

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Hey everybody i'm new to this forum and in search of some good advice (trainer's?). As of right now now i'm 223 lbs strecthed onto a 6'7" frame. As of now my work-out consists of using the treadmill 3-4x/wk, with incline set to 10(max) and speed of 4.3 for 30-40 mins. I like to to do a fast walk because jogging feels like i'm cheating due to my long stride. I also use 50lbs dumbbells for curling/shoulder presses and the perfect-push ups for a change of pace.

I feel my diet is pretty good as i mainly eat chicken breasts, rice, spinach or broccoli. For breakfast I usually have a turkey sandwich (whole wheat bread) or 2 with a can of tuna. I also drink 140oz of water/day.

The bad....I love beer/liquor, the darker the better as I love lagers/bocks and anything Cognac. I will have the occasional large choco lovers blizzard from DQ. Last but not least i've been known to enjoy the kush, recreationally ofcourse.

What i'd like to accomplish is just putting a tad more size across the chest/shoulder area. I've belonged to gyms in the past but, it always seemed that outside of freeweights I was too tall to use the machines as I believe most have a max height usage of 6'2" or so. Also i'm 35 so while not over the hill yet, i've got some mileage on me. THANKS IN ADVANCE
6'5" guy. I've always had trouble adding mass across my chest. Everything else is very responsive.

This guy has some good workouts that you can do from home or when time is at a premium.

YouTube - ‪Killer Home Chest Workout‬‏

YouTube - ‪Advanced Killer Home Chest Workout‬‏

Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions...good to know i'm not the only freak in the world..lol...Currently I work from home M-W-F so usually I use the treadmill in the morning before getting started then use my lunch break for weights. I was thinking about buying a flat bench to do the dumbbell flys/presses etc. Also would it be a good idea to alternate between chest exercises and push-ups during the same work-out? It might be a long time before I join a gym again. It got frustrating at times when I would see a guy a foot shorter than I am benching and the bar is going no more than 6 inches off his chest. If I tried that i'd get decapitated.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,162 times
Quote:
Also would it be a good idea to alternate between chest exercises and push-ups during the same work-out?
You can include a bunch of different exercises for the chest in the same workout.
- If you wanna just go to complete exhaustion of a specific muscle group, you can alternate between pushups, flat bench presses and flys (like in the video).
- If you wanna hit all the various sub-groups of the pectorals and deltoids, you can alternate between pushups, incline benches/flys, decline benches/flys, forward-leaning dips, and shoulder presses.

The variety will keep your muscles confused and growing.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions...good to know i'm not the only freak in the world..lol...Currently I work from home M-W-F so usually I use the treadmill in the morning before getting started then use my lunch break for weights. I was thinking about buying a flat bench to do the dumbbell flys/presses etc. Also would it be a good idea to alternate between chest exercises and push-ups during the same work-out? It might be a long time before I join a gym again. It got frustrating at times when I would see a guy a foot shorter than I am benching and the bar is going no more than 6 inches off his chest. If I tried that i'd get decapitated.
I always start with pushups and finish with pushups. It's easier to focus on proper form with body weight when you're going to complete failure.

Change up your hand position a lot. Diamonds - close - shoulder width - wide - extra wide - on your fists with your thumb parallel to your body - on your fists with your thumb perpendicular - hands even with your ears - hands even with your nipples - hands even with your lower ribs - feet elevated - shoulders elevated - etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness