Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Your height can definitely be intimidating for shorter guys. Doesn't mean you are any less desirable. Based off of the number of profile views you have on your page, I am pretty sure you realize that you have options. Just one question? What kind of male friends would allow other guys to approach you and say the type of things that you mentioned in this thread? The ones that I know are very protective of their female friends. Were these guys drunk?

Either way....The east coast is definitely the best place if your looking for opportunities to date. But you will deal with issues here just like you would in any other area of the country.

My advice....just be upfront with the guys you are dealing with. If they are into taller women like yourself then screw them. Find a guy that is. They are out there.

Good luck!
My male friends definitely don't stick up for me, mostly because I can handle things by myself. They do stick up for the petite, more 'damsel in distress-ey' friends, but not me. They treat me just as they do all the other guys, and that includes making fun of, ribbing etc. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I get special treatment from them.

I'm always upfront...I think that's a negative for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's what that's about: we're often surprised at what the guys refer to as beautiful. Because the stereotype is that guys like major curves in the right places. But as often as not, the photos that get posted don't have those curves. Really. Except maybe in just one place. So we're analyzing the photos, and trying to understand the mentality. Like, "huh. I thought an hourglass shape was the big deal", or boobs (guys post they hate fake ones, but they go bananas over them anyway), etc. So it looks like we're criticizing the girl, but what we're doing is trying to understand the guys' choices. Because they don't always make sense.

See what I'm saying?
Yes, I see what you're saying but I am not convinced. I can tell the difference between analyzing and criticizing.

Really, is there any context in which a comment like "I'd rather starve to death than let my butt get that big" could be perceived as analyzing? Don't think so. Perhaps YOUR intent was to analyze, but the majority of the other comments weren't analyzing jack.

Anyway, whether they were analyzing or criticizing the pictures is of little relevance to the point I was trying to make which is, women objectify women just as much as men objectify women.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 12-24-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 PM

708 posts, read 878,800 times
There is nothing wrong with desiring a partner who is fit. However reading the OP's posts it seems like he is defining fitness in a fairly narrow way. You can be fit from many activities, not just weightlifting.

If OP is attracted to a certain body type that is fine. To get that sort of body type, you have to be genetically be built a certain way, in order for the effects of working out to give you the appearance of looking like some of the pics posted. There are plenty of fit woman who are probably more functionally fit than some of women posted here, that don't have that sort of exaggerated body type.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
It doesn't matter to me that much. I am just happy my husband likes to go outside and enjoy the activities available where we live. I hate the gym and stopped forcing myself to go. I get exercise other ways and have been able to lose weight. I find people who are obsessed with fitness and the gym to be extremely obnoxious. Just read this thread...

Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
It doesn't matter to me that much. I am just happy my husband likes to go outside and enjoy the activities available where we live. I hate the gym and stopped forcing myself to go. I get exercise other ways and have been able to lose weight. I find people who are obsessed with fitness and the gym to be extremely obnoxious. Just read this thread...
Good one with the last few words. Sooo true.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM

73 posts, read 52,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
There is nothing wrong with desiring a partner who is fit. However reading the OP's posts it seems like he is defining fitness in a fairly narrow way. You can be fit from many activities, not just weightlifting.

If OP is attracted to a certain body type that is fine. To get that sort of body type, you have to be genetically be built a certain way, in order for the effects of working out to give you the appearance of looking like some of the pics posted. There are plenty of fit woman who are probably more functionally fit than some of women posted here, that don't have that sort of exaggerated body type.

True, but the exaggerated body type is absolutely beautiful

Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
There are a lot of generalizations in this thread.

So it's ok to call all fitness people obnoxious, narcissistic, stupid, or boring. But it's not ok to generalize about fat people as lazy because they have a thyroid condition.

I don't understand the attitude of the women who posted in this thread. If you don't ( or can't, or won't) look like this, fine. But it takes an awful amount of dedication to get into this condition. So, while you are calling them Amazons try to admire the fact that they are not a part of the growing number of the obese.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
There are a lot of generalizations in this thread.

So it's ok to call all fitness people obnoxious, narcissistic, stupid, or boring. But it's not ok to generalize about fat people as lazy because they have a thyroid condition.

I don't understand the attitude of the women who posted in this thread. If you don't ( or can't, or won't) look like this, fine. But it takes an awful amount of dedication to get into this condition. So, while you are calling them Amazons try to admire the fact that they are not a part of the growing number of the obese.
Yes, yes it is.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
There are plenty of fit woman who are probably more functionally fit than some of women posted here, that don't have that sort of exaggerated body type.
"Functionally fit" is EXACTLY what the women (and men) who do Crossfit go for. They are NOT bodybuilders, and they are not into trying to shape their bodies into looking like anything. Their first, foremost and ONLY goal is to be as fit/healthy as possible. Heck, you'll never find any mirrors in any Crossfit gym because they are just not into the looks, its all about being functionally fit.

It just so happens that these women develop FANTASTIC bodies based on their specific functional workouts. Many, if not most of them DO look like many of the pics of women posted here.

Another great thing for women, is that the odds are waaaaaaaay more likely that they will end up looking like many of the super sexy fit women posted by working out, lifting weights and doing crossfit than looking "bulky". Odds are greatly in favor of women looking sexy like the pics than looking bulky. Its very very very very very very very very difficult for a woman to end up looking bulky by working out.

CrossFit - Beauty in Strength - YouTube

Im telling you, more women who lift weights end up looking sexy and fit than they do "bulky". Like the gal I posted in the thread here http://www.city-data.com/forum/27477323-post142.html

Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTiesto View Post
Yea, there's a lot of women out there who will look at these gals and just scream "GENETICS, GENETICS, GENETICS"

Sorry, I don't buy it. There's nobody who is born looking like this

It takes an incredible amount of hard work, discipline and dedication to look even a fraction as good as that. I have a lot more respect for that than all the overweight people out there who will claim that they were born to be fat and can never fix their "thyroid problems" (which affects like 0.1% of the population yet every fat person around seemingly has a thyroid issue(

No, but she WAS born with the ability to look like that.

This woman, for instance, will NEVER look like that woman. Her body is simply shaped differently even though she obviously works out.

That woman was born with a body that is hourglass shaped and then worked out to exaggerate it, which is great!

But to say a naturally ruler or apple shaped woman just has to work out and dedicate herself to fitness and she can look just like the woman you posted is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness