Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
For you, not for everyone. Weight training won't help you in completing a marathon and if that's your goal, then weight training will not assist anyone in achieving that goal.

Yes, but the OP said he wanted broader shoulders, bigger biceps and a flatter stomach. That equal more resistance than cardio. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
You'll gain/lose fat infinitely faster than you'll gain/lose muscle. Even on steroids you can only build muscle so fast.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
You should flip it around; weight training trumps cardio every time

Lift Big, Get Skinny

Eat, Lift, and be Happy.: Cardio Sucks (and How I Stay Lean Without Doing it)
I've never seen a thin powerlifter. A lean powerlifter. Just big, bulky, and strong. Cardio and Weight Training are equally valid and necessary.

That article is basically describing spot training, which doesn't exist. Steroids aside, I look at what professional bodybuilders do. They ALL, do cardio. Either to create a calorie deficit, or to use whatever fat they may have at that point as energy, because that's what it is, and is why it's used.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I've never seen a thin powerlifter. A lean powerlifter...
You need to get out more then, have you ever even been to a meet?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
I've never seen a thin powerlifter. A lean powerlifter. Just big, bulky, and strong. Cardio and Weight Training are equally valid and necessary.

That article is basically describing spot training, which doesn't exist. Steroids aside, I look at what professional bodybuilders do. They ALL, do cardio. Either to create a calorie deficit, or to use whatever fat they may have at that point as energy, because that's what it is, and is why it's used.

Nope, but I've seen plenty of lean Olympic lifters and their only concern is strength within their weight class. I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts that they do VERY little cardio.

Diet is absolutely key when trying to get or stay lean. With regards to body fat - you can out-diet a bad exercise plan, you can't out-exercise a bad dietary plan.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Quote:

That's funny.

Richard Hawthorne deadlifts 600x2 at 2011 Olympia Animal Cage - YouTube

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Neither one of my articles say anything about spot reducing and did you even read the one about "cardio suck" with the girl with ripped abs that does 10 minutes of intense cardio in addition to her weight training?

Anyways, never said to eliminate cardio, but to flip around the workout schedule. Weight training focus with short, intense cardio will burn fat and build muscle like no other.

Lastly, this guy:

Just lifts really big things up and puts them down. No cardio. But he doesn't eat crap food either.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Default Exercise is the lesser of the physical fitness program

For those that want to lose weight, not necessarily enter an Iron Man contest, getting fit is about 80% diet control for the first year. The exercise will burn a few extra calories, but it will also increase your appetite a great deal.

I'm speaking from experience. Lots of powerlifting plus 40 minutes on the bike and I initially lost 30 pounds (need to lose 70 more). But I continued my high carb diet. I feel much better than I used to, but one trainer told me to do a lot more push-aways ( as from the table) and that that exercise would better suit me and help me than cardio/weight training right now. I'm discovering I have the mental discipline to do the exercise routine (picture buckets of perspiration day in and day out), but my appetite discipline is the gorilla in the china shop of my head. I'm convinced it's a battle that I must win if I'm to have even a modicum of physical health in my latter years.

But I never met a second helping of ribs or mashed potatoes I could walk away from!!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Actually weight training is very important for endurance training. More muscle strength means you use less energy when pushing off the ground, meaning you have more energy for the entire race. Cross training is also very important for runners because it helps prevents common overuse injuries such as pulled hamstrings, patella pain, IT band pain, etc. The best way for endurance runners to bring down their times is increasing their squat and deadlift

About Crossfit Endurance

Exercises To Increase Running Speed | LIVESTRONG.COM
Totally wrong.

The best way for endurance runners to bring down their times is to run more. Weight and muscle mass is the enemy. The muscles you want strong are the exact ones that are exercised by running.

All the injuries you list are related to poor form and won't be prevented by cross training, only in the fact that cross training lessens the MPW.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
My advice for doing cardio is to do it shortly after you wake up. Don't eat anything, if you do your body will just burn that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness