Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM

35 posts, read 169,458 times

Advertisements

I am a young adult male who is very interested in receiving his personal trainer certification and working as one. I have a couple connections in the fitness industry and I have always been into health and fitness. I have a slim athletic body and I am in the process of bulking up. I reside in New Jersey outside of Manhattan. If I did work as a P.T. I figure it would be in NJ-NY or New England (Boston region). Thus, I would like to know which is the best school to receive my certification in regards to the New York Metro and Boston / New England metro areas? Knowledgeable responses are highly appreciated and yes I already know more is needed than just a simple certification but let's focus on the question at hand please - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Can someone please help in answering my question? For example, my current personal trainer has a NASM certification and NPTI personal training an nutrition. What is the most respected certification to get, and if they vary by region, which is best to have in the New York-New Jersey and Boston metro areas?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
I really don't know. Have you tried some of the other fitness sites?

Bodybuilding.com - How Can One Become A Personal Trainer?

Or googling personal trainer certification? Then narrow it down to locale.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
As long as you get a certification from the NSCA, NASM, ACE or ACSM you're fine. The only people who care about certs are personal trainers and since you're training the general public, just get one from one of those 4 associations. The only caveat is once you get your cert, your learning has just started. I have a NASM cpt and I barely, if at all, follow their model of training because I feel it focuses too much on "functional" training and through a lot of reading, I've found what works for me and my clients.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
As long as you get a certification from the NSCA, NASM, ACE or ACSM you're fine. The only people who care about certs are personal trainers and since you're training the general public, just get one from one of those 4 associations. The only caveat is once you get your cert, your learning has just started. I have a NASM cpt and I barely, if at all, follow their model of training because I feel it focuses too much on "functional" training and through a lot of reading, I've found what works for me and my clients.
Which certification do you feel is the best or holds more respect at least as far as the New York metro region and the New England states are concerned? After you received your NASM certification what steps did you take from there?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM

283 posts, read 508,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post

What he said is pretty much true. But if you insist on narrowing it down to one specific Cert, I would say NASM is the way to go.
I got mine years ago when I went to work for Gold's Gym. I remember the main reason I chose that particular Cert was only because Gold's liked it the best, and in fact paid their trainers $4 more per hour if they had that one instead of another!
But since that time, I've heard numerous times from other trainers, athletes and fitness club managment-types that NASM is the way to go.
Be advised: with the slew of people entering the Personal Trainer profession back in the early 2000s, some of your more elite fitess centers now want you to have a BS degree in Kinesiology or Sports Science in addition to the Cert.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
There is no regional best; just get one depending on your goals. If you have a 4 year exercise science degree and want to help people in hospital/rehab type settings, ACSM's certs are more geared in that direction. "Higher" certs with them require more and more schooling if you desire to get a master's in exercise science or similar fields. If you hold any 4 year degree and want to work more with sport's teams or athletes, NSCA's CSCS is more that direction. If you want to work with the general public, then any CPT course from any of the big 4 is fine.

After I passed, I applied to jobs and that was it. I've changed careers from accounting though so I'm pretty familiar with interviewing and the like. Just be confident and you'll be fine.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Thank you again for your responses. A personal trainer who I had a session with has a certification in NASM and diploma in NPTI. Do you think those two are the best ways to go with NASM first and NPTI when I can afford it? By the way, is the NASM schooling and certification online or on-location?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
NPTI is aligned with NASM and your fees for NPTI also include testing for NASM.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,840 times
I recently studied the difference between the different organizations and prices. Here's a good breakdown to make the decision easier. There are also some career ideas at the bottom. Hope this helps!

[url=http://www.livelifeactive.com/2014/06/04/become-a-personal-trainer]How To Become A Personal Trainer - Live Life Active[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness