Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get myself into better shape, but I just can't seem to get motivated. I want to feel and look better, but when the time comes to exercise and eat right, I just keep putting it off. I have heard that getting yourself into an early morning regimen can help - you're up early, you have nothing else to do, so it makes it easier to get it done. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I do all exercise in the afternoon. For me, I think my body just needs time to warm up and loosen up. I think if I did it in the morning, I would not get as much benefit. But I'd guess this is one of those things where everyone is different.

Two simple keys to motivation:

1)form habits. If something has become habit it is much easier mentally to do it. A long time ago I remember reading a martial arts guy who said (paraphrase): 'if you can do something 15 days in a row, you can do it the rest of your life.'

2)set up external motivation for yourself. I'm a runner and I know from experience that if I have a race coming up for which I've signed up, I'm much more motivated to train. Doubly so if I've signed up to be a part of a team event.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Find something that you like to do. Experiment with different classes, run, swim, cycle, lift. Try as many things as you have access to. Find the right time of day that works for you and be consistent. I work out in the mornings which I prefer. When I used to have a part time morning job I went in the afternoon. It really does not matter as long as its a good time for you. Find a competition to be in like a 5k. Easy enough to achieve and it will get you into a routine.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
maybe if you tie your workout goals to something you enjoy doing (preferably daily). for example, i will not watch x show unless i have had a complete workout. i will not eat x unless i have had a great workout. that shouldnt be mistaken for rewarding a good workout with enough food to negate its benefits (which tons of people do). i keep my food intake relatively close to my needs, so i dont get my protein drink unless i lift weights. so its a little motivation. i will cut food intake if i dont do any exercise in the day.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
It's hard. You just have to find what works for you. I finally joined a gym and that seems to be doing the trick. It pains me to think of paying for something every month and not use it. Before that I was lucky to go running once or twice a week and that just isn't enough. Now I probably go at least 5 times a week, sometimes more. I get bored, so I like having access to different machines and mixing up my workouts. I am starting to see results. I have muscles in my legs now! I'm actually wearing a pair of pants today that haven't fit for awhile. Seeing results is the the greatest motivator for me because I want to keep seeing results. I feel better and stronger, I have more endurance.

No one can make it happen but you. You just have to stop making excuses and get moving. Find healthy food you like and set yourself up for success. I go get veggies every week and cut them up to snack on for the week. I don't buy sodas or chips or cookies. You can do it!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki
It pains me to think of paying for something every month and not use it
That's what I'm talking about. You figure out some kind of external motivator and put it in place. For you it is signing up for gym, for me it's signing for a race, for someone else it could be booking a vacations at a hotel on a beach a few months from now.

I read that most great marathoners train in some kind of group setting. Why--because the other runners around them provides external motivation. Alas I ignore my own advice, because all of my training is done solo.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Some good advice in here. Thanks so far!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Make sure you do exercises YOU want to do. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to do this, in this way, with this many reps, this much weight, whatever. When you do that, you won't want to do it. Find what works for your body, and that you, crazy as it sounds, actually enjoy doing. People who tell you how to exercise haven't been doing it for more than a year. Trust me. The people in the best shape could care less about what you're doing. Line up 10 bodybuilders/ powerlifters/ Nfl players/ Track Runners, whatever, and they will all have different training/ diet methods.

Do what you like and you'll wanna keep doing it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I know if I don't I am going to die sooner.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I know if I don't I am going to die sooner.
That's my motivation.

We're all going to die but I want to try and extend my time and be fit in my older years. I woke up one morning weighing 276lbs with plenty of free time on my hands. So I started a morning routine and stick with it! Now for me, I was fit most of my life and did so ridding bikes. Since ridding bikes has alway been something I loved, I started riding again. It was hard at first only able to ride .5-1.0 miles a day and taking breaks on top of it. I was determined and over time have been able to slowly increase my riding to 10-15 miles a day (5dys. Week). It does matter if it's 30 degrees outside either, I bought cold riding gear. I'm down 3 LBS and haven't made one change to my diet. I mean, I watch what I eat but I'm not living on rabbit food and power bars either.

My best advice is to pick something you like and do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness