Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Did you by chance purchase the 60gr per 2 scoops as Whey Isolate and the 52gr per 2 scoops as standard Whey Protein?

If so, difference would be in the reduced cholestrol of the Isolate vs. the Whey. You pay more for the former vs. the latter.

The pricing and quantity you describe reads to me as Body Fortress products which was recently reduced at Walmart.
Yes the $14.97 is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein - Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor

The $18.97 is Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Protein Plus Elite Series - Triple Chocolate Flavor

Both from WalMart.

Both have a Whey Protein Blend each containing Whey Protein Concentrate and Whey Protein Isolate.

You can compare the ingredients here:

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Super Advanced Whey Protein

Star Pro Nutrition Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus

Cholesterol is approximately the same on both containers.

I am also just now noticing that my Six Star container from WalMart has 42g powder per serving and the Six Star container on the above Bodybuilding.com website has 39g powder per serving.

My WalMart Six Star container has the words "New and Improved" written on it.

The old Six Star container on Bodybuilding.com above had 52g protein per serving (same as the Body Fortress container) while the new Six Star container from WalMart has 60g protein per serving.

You can see the ingredients of my 60g protein container here on Six Star's website: http://www.sixstarpronutrition.com/p...us/index.shtml and click on the Triple Chocolate flavor image in the lower left to see the ingredients list.

So Six Star DID recently increase serving size (39g old ---> 42g new) which makes the protein per serving on the front of the container higher, and makes it look more desirable to the consumer.

As I originally stated ... this to me is deceptive marketing!

I believe most people do not compare the serving size in grams between two different brands, and they just focus on what it says on the front of the container in terms of protein per serving.

Why else would Six Star increase their own serving size other than to make the protein per serving on the front label higher?

Last edited by RD5050; 12-04-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Yes the 14.97 is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein.

The 18.97 is Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Protein Plus Elite Series

Both from WalMart.

Both have a Whey Protein Blend each containing Whey Protein Concentrate and Whey Protein Isolate.

You can compare the ingredients here:

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Super Advanced Whey Protein

Star Pro Nutrition Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus

Both list cholesterol as 50mg per serving ... but there is a 10% difference in serving sizes as I mentioned in my OP, one has just slightly less cholesterol.
Ok. I thought you were comparing Whey to Whey Isolate. I stand corrected.

I have used BF and Six Star and noticed the serving cup disparity you mention. I read the labels thoroughly now to amortize cost, note cholestrol, fillers,aminos, etc. Live and learn.

CaptNJ was spot on with the NOW 10lb bag. FYI for your next purchase.

There is also ISO Sensation 93. My favorite.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-04-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Ok. I thought you were comparing Whey to Whey Isolate. I stand corrected.

I have used BF and Six Star and noticed the serving cup disparity you mention. I read the labels thoroughly now to amortize cost, note cholestrol, fillers,aminos, etc. Live and learn.

CaptNJ was spot on with the NOW 10lb bag. FYI for your next purchase.

There is also ISO Sensation 93. My favorite.
Thanks, I may consider the above choices next time I buy it.

I did a protein cost comparison of NOW to Body Fortress, and here's what I found:

NOW 10lb - $88 at this website: 100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate - Natural from NOW on sale. Find information about NOW

Body Fortress 2lb - $15 at WalMart

NOW has 25g protein x 162 servings = 4050g protein per 10lb bag, or 810g protein per 2lb.

Body Fortress has 26g protein x 24 servings = 624g per 2lb container.

$88 / 5 = $17.60 per 2lb NOW

$15 / $17.60 = .852

.852 x $17.60 = $15

.852 x 810g NOW protein = 690g, which indicates how much NOW protein you can get for $15

So it works out to be 624g protein of Body Fortress for $15 versus 690g protein of NOW for $15

Body Fortress also includes flavor + Amino Acids, so you get more than just protein for the $15

So it's a close match between the two in terms of cost of protein.

You get 10% more protein in NOW, assuming you buy the 10lb bag for $88, but you don't get the flavor or the amino acids that Body Fortress includes.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether NOW's 100% pure whey isolate will work significantly better than the Body Fortress protein blend?

Last edited by RD5050; 12-04-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I look at the protein allotment per scoop as always being sufficient to replace a meal. I can add 10-12oz. milk instead of water to increase the protein content if manufacturer X is down a bit than manufacturer Y. It is just to have something immediate as a proper meal is not feasible when necessary. I amortize on cost per serving. Then add an adder for more desirable ingredients. BF Whey(non-isolate) has 50mg of cholesterol per serving compared to 4mg for the NOW Isolate. That is the tipping point for me as I have low cholestrol and wish to keep it that way.(I would carry a baggie with precooked chicken breasts if there were no low cholesterol alternatives. One fellow at the gym eats a can of chickpeas before working out and he is years of ahead of me in terms of strength!) Currently doing a zero cholesterol natural flavor protein powder and find it satisfactory.
NOW Isolate is fairly inexpensive at just under $60 if you shop it around. I think it also has amino acids. I have not used it but hear it highly recommended due to the lack of fillers. I use the other brand mentioned above.

No grip against BF & Six Star. I used them for months and both delivered. I still purchase reserve tubs of favorite flavors of BF or Six Star whenever I find them severely discounted at the store.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-04-2012 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I look at the protein allotment per scoop as always being sufficient to replace a meal. I can add 10-12oz. milk instead of water to increase the protein content if manufacturer X is down a bit than manufacturer Y. It is just to have something immediate as a proper meal is not feasible when necessary. I amortize on cost per serving. Then add a adder for more desirable ingredients. BF Whey(non-isolate) has 50mg of cholestrol per serving compared to 4mg for the NOW Isolate. That is the tipping point for me as I have low cholestrol and wish to keep it that way.(I would carry a baggie with precooked chicken breasts if there were no low cholestrol alternatives. One fellow at the gym eats a can of Goya chickpeas before working out and he is years of ahead of me in terms of strength!) Currently doing a zero cholestrol natural flavor protein powder and find it satisfactory. I do purchase a reserve of favorite flavors of BF or Six Star whenever I find them severely discounted at the store.

NOW Isolate is fairly inexpensive at just under $60 if you shop it around. I think it also has amino acids. I use the other brand mentioned above.

I used BF & Six Star for months and it worked.
Thanks. I see now that NOW does contain BCAA's, which are part of the Whey.

What Body Fortress had that NOW didn't was a recovery blend (Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, L-Glutamine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine)

Lowest price I can find on the NOW is $76: NOW Whey Protein Vanilla Mega Pack 10 lbs

Now Whey Isolate 10lb - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag

The one from the above nextag result list at $59.99 on Amazon is for a $5lb container, so it got included in the above search for some unknown reason?

Thanks for the info about the cholesterol. That's something else to factor in.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i see you are choosing products. i use the NOW whey isolate unflavored. bought a 10lb bag for 80 bucks or so. so anything under $8 per pound is a great price. however, in a recent test the NOW only had 79% of claimed protein. if i was to consider another brand, i would go with musclefeast. no guarantees its any better, but they have a good reputation and seem like a good brand right now. ill post the results below. id still consider the NOW. these days, i blend the whey with nestle quik and skim milk powder anyway so i dont need to to be pure. i wouldnt bother worrying about BCAAs, glutamine, taurine, etc. protein has BCAA's, if its not enough for you then take a BCAA supplement (which i wouldnt do). dont waste money on marketing gimmicks that wont really make any difference in your sexiness.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
I take Dynmatize Iso-100.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Just go with Gold Standard whey. One scoop = 24g protein.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Dymatize iso-100, zero carb, zero fat. works well with how I eat.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i see you are choosing products. i use the NOW whey isolate unflavored. bought a 10lb bag for 80 bucks or so. so anything under $8 per pound is a great price. however, in a recent test the NOW only had 79% of claimed protein. if i was to consider another brand, i would go with musclefeast. no guarantees its any better, but they have a good reputation and seem like a good brand right now. ill post the results below. id still consider the NOW. these days, i blend the whey with nestle quik and skim milk powder anyway so i dont need to to be pure. i wouldnt bother worrying about BCAAs, glutamine, taurine, etc. protein has BCAA's, if its not enough for you then take a BCAA supplement (which i wouldnt do). dont waste money on marketing gimmicks that wont really make any difference in your sexiness.

I read the background story on the test both at reddit.com and bb.com There were no controls on the sample as would be done in a proper laboratory test. I know. That is what my company does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness