Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

Trying to go for health & longevity, & thus going plant-based proteins mostly. But I know Whey is touted as good for blood pressure, sugar, etc. is this right? I eat greek yogurt already & get cow's whey that way, so do I really need the whey powder too? Used both Six Star Nutrition & Walmart's Body Fortress' Whey protein so far over last few mos. I hope they're contamiant-free & w/out much lead, etc. in them.

Anyone have advice here. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
the plant based proteins are for saving money on a cheaper protein. the whey is for post workout.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Animal based proteins are usually better assimilated. I'd take 20 grams of whey over 40 grams of any plant based.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Try some real food first. The less processed, the better.

Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Really nice page to check out. It has some menu breakdowns and suggestions to try.

Meat is only easier because you don't have to combo it in ways you are not accustom to and they are a more complete protein in itself. Sometimes the person may have a enzyme deficiency that can prohibit them from carrying on with a vegan diet.

Go with what feels good to your body. Eating meat based products are not the best for most if looking for longevity.
Animal-based protein diets increase mortality rate – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

I think that is going to become more and more prevalent due to toxic build up that needs to clear out or be cleaned out from the state that it currently is in.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I take protein supplements in addition to my whole food diet. I get really tired of eating protein even though it is key for satiety and energy, for me (on a side note, I got to where I could not eat another bite of yogurt/cottage cheese...don't have a problem with half & half in my coffee). I recently switched from the whey-based to the veggie-based (& cut out all diary), and I'm amazed that I feel fuller, for longer. Depending on the brand, it does take getting used to. I've finally figured out how to coverup the taste of stevia (yuk!).

Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Trying to go for health & longevity, & thus going plant-based proteins mostly. But I know Whey is touted as good for blood pressure, sugar, etc. is this right? I eat greek yogurt already & get cow's whey that way, so do I really need the whey powder too? Used both Six Star Nutrition & Walmart's Body Fortress' Whey protein so far over last few mos. I hope they're contamiant-free & w/out much lead, etc. in them.

Anyone have advice here. Thx.
Owners of Sunwarrior are acquaintainces. They produce a very high quality rice based protein. Solid item to add in terms of meal replacement. Not as much protein per serving compared to the high end Whey Isolate designed for the muscle building community. Sunwarrior.com

Please do not use Body Fortress or Six Star unless they are Isolate versions as the regular Whey versions are high in cholesterol. It is an unregulated industry and you do pay for quality.

Consumer Reports testing showed high quantities of heavy metals in some popular protein supplements:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ound/index.htm
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...rink/index.htm

Cottage cheese provides more protein per identical serving than Greek yogurt. Double from the labels I have examined.

You know you really would do much better eating roasted/broiled/grilled hot/cold skinless chicken breasts and cutback on powder as much as possible. 32gr of protein per 4oz chicken breast is more than a serving of the better proteins out there with no contaminants.

But if you must use a whey powder then select a high quality one. luckyvitamin.com currently has the best offers. look up 5lb tub of natural flavor Iso sensation 93. about $10/lb.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-30-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 10,692 times
One thought in choosing any dairy products. Look for those that are organic. If you look into factory farms, you might not want to eat any dairy unless organic.

Cows grazing on organic grass is really nutritious. I think Dr Mercola promotes some good organic whey that should be worthy of a good test.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I avoid organic, too dang expensive. Mercola is a quack. His products are no better than anything else on the market, but they are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness