Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

I think when one is sick it is best to recover and then exercise. Illness takes a toll on a body, and it needs time to rest to recover from the illness. A short walk or something is one thing but a workout in a gym or a long run is not the thing to do. I have a hard time with people that go to gyms with colds and flu's or any other contagious condtion. Anyone that inconsiderate of others deserves to be sick. Take a few days off and get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
not when my sickness is at its worst.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Do you still exercise when you are sick?

I went for a run yesterday to detox from the Nola cough that is going around here. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, I'm not so sure.
It depends. If it's something like the flu or strep I won't. If it's something minor like a cold and I'm up for it I will but it would be something light like walking.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Thank you to those who avoid the gym while sick. It infuriates me when I am next to someone who is clearly sick yet they are there spreading their virus. STAY HOME and do not spread it around. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Do you still exercise when you are sick?

I went for a run yesterday to detox from the Nola cough that is going around here. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, I'm not so sure.
the run isnt going to detox you. its just going to wear your body down at a time where your body needs all the energy it has to mend itself. i have learned my lesson that when you are sick, take a few days off.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM

67 posts, read 138,312 times
I would simply go for a walk, just to sweat a little bit and get the blood flowing. Would not do anything that requires exertion (that means no weight lifting).

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
It depends. If it's something like the flu or strep I won't. If it's something minor like a cold and I'm up for it I will but it would be something light like walking.
I agree. Light walking is good to stretch out the muscles and get you out of the lethargic state that is otherwise keeping you down.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM

154 posts, read 291,190 times
Had I started this thread before Monday's run, I'd be doing so much better right now. It really is a challenge to rest , recover, go light on the workout. Even now I am tempted to rollerblade around the kitchen, but I won't.

Great advice from all. Now, if I can just figure out how to rep everyone who replied here, that would be fabulous! You all are keeping me out of trouble.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Like most people have mentioned here--it depends. If I have a stuffy nose and congestion, I'll take some shots of either whiskey, rum or vodka and do some jogging. But if I feel really weak, light headed and have a high temperature, no way. I thought I could exercise my sickness once when I had strep throat and it actually made the strep throat THAT much worse. I thought doing up hill running and everything was a SUPER idea but god, how wrong I was.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 AM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I workout at the gym, so out of consideration for others, even if I physically could do it because it's often just a cold, I don't.
Thank you!

My vote woud be no.

2 reasons: when you exercise, you're putting stress on the body. (Talking serious exercise, not just a walk). If you're sick, your body is stressed enough fighting the sickness.

second, safety. What if you're running or lifting and pass out? Okay, maybe I'm being a crotchedy old woos but passing out is not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness