Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

i like to do my ab workout in the squat rack. it helps make sure nobody else is doing abs too close to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
- "what are you doing in the squat rack?"
"abs"
- "Okay, I'm going to use the squat rack to do some squats now"

Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
You would be amazed at how many people do not know it is a squat rack.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Why do idiots do this? Especially in my gym, where there is only one squat rack. That means ONE station in the entire gym where serious lifters like myself can do the king of all lifts. As opposed to curls, which require only a barbell and about a two-foot radius of personal space and therefore can be done ANYWHERE IN THE FRIGGING GYM! Yet instead of doing them somewhere else out of people's way, idiots choose to monopolize the squat rack with their curls and make lifters who want to use it for its intended purpose wait.

I got into it with some punk about this on Tuesday, and when a staff member showed up to see what the disagreement was about, he sided with the punk because, quote, "we don't have any posted rules about what exercises can and cannot be done here." Well you SHOULD, if you call yourself a gym! If someone had pulled that crap at the little power gym where I learned to lift when I was 16, the owner would have taken the barbell he was curling and drilled him right in the NUTS with it!

Seriously, anyone with an IQ above 30 should be able to comprehend the following logic: curls can be done literally anywhere in the gym. Squats can only be done in a squat rack, of which most gyms (unfortuntaely) only have one or two. Therefore the squat rack should always be left open for squats and curls should be done elsewhere. I have zero sympathy for those too dense to get this, and there is no punishment too severe for them.
I do shrugs in the squat rack. With 315 lbs, bar included. I find it somwhat easier than deadlifting into a shrug. That's just me, though. I would've moved if someone had said they wanted to squat, though. It's a SQUAT rack. That's what it's for. So yah, have at it, Chief. I can do my thing when you are done. Unless I'm on my last exercise for the day, then I'd just say "I got 5 , 10, or however many reps left... gimme 5 min?" and that's usualy cool with most people.

I was sympathetic until I read you got into it with some punk. Now if you said you asked nicely and he said, "Heywouldja****me", then yeah, I see your point.

Having read that, I suggest, next time, see if you can get his phone number so you can call him and let him know you are on the way and he needs to be out of the way and off the equipment by the time you get there. Maybe you can make a schedule with him, and just let him know when and what he can use at what times, irregardless of whether it is in use or not. That would probably be best. God help us all if people start using equipment that other people might want to use and there is only one piece of that equipment. That just screws it up for you and me. That other guy? Pffttt.... go curl over there, Nancy. This is my rack.

You should also be sure to mention to him how it was in some old gym you used to work out in, and how you expect every gym to have those exact same nut busting rules and are seriously angry because they don't.

Last edited by 70Ford; 01-18-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I do shrugs in the squat rack. With 315 lbs, bar included. I find it somwhat easier than deadlifting into a shrug. That's just me, though. I would've moved if someone had said they wanted to squat, though. It's a SQUAT rack. That's what it's for. So yah, have at it, Chief. I can do my thing when you are done. Unless I'm on my last exercise for the day, then I'd just say "I got 5 , 10, or however many reps left... gimme 5 min?" and that's usualy cool with most people.

I was sympathetic until I read you got into it with some punk. Now if you said you asked nicely and he said, "Heywouldja****me", then yeah, I see your point.

Having read that, I suggest, next time, see if you can get his phone number so you can call him and let him know you are on the way and he needs to be out of the way and off the equipment by the time you get there. Maybe you can make a schedule with him, and just let him know when and what he can use at what times, irregardless of whether it is in use or not. That would probably be best. God help us all if people start using equipment that other people might want to use and there is only one piece of that equipment. That just screws it up for you and me. That other guy? Pffttt.... go curl over there, Nancy. This is my rack.

You should also be sure to mention to him how it was in some old gym you used to work out in, and how you expect every gym to have those exact same nut busting rules and are seriously angry because they don't.
I don't really care what you do in the squat rack as long as you don't spend more than 20 minutes doing it.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Why do idiots do this? Especially in my gym, where there is only one squat rack. That means ONE station in the entire gym where serious lifters like myself can do the king of all lifts. As opposed to curls, which require only a barbell and about a two-foot radius of personal space and therefore can be done ANYWHERE IN THE FRIGGING GYM! Yet instead of doing them somewhere else out of people's way, idiots choose to monopolize the squat rack with their curls and make lifters who want to use it for its intended purpose wait.

I got into it with some punk about this on Tuesday, and when a staff member showed up to see what the disagreement was about, he sided with the punk because, quote, "we don't have any posted rules about what exercises can and cannot be done here." Well you SHOULD, if you call yourself a gym! If someone had pulled that crap at the little power gym where I learned to lift when I was 16, the owner would have taken the barbell he was curling and drilled him right in the NUTS with it!

Seriously, anyone with an IQ above 30 should be able to comprehend the following logic: curls can be done literally anywhere in the gym. Squats can only be done in a squat rack, of which most gyms (unfortuntaely) only have one or two. Therefore the squat rack should always be left open for squats and curls should be done elsewhere. I have zero sympathy for those too dense to get this, and there is no punishment too severe for them.
Yes, you are right. It is selfish and disrespectful. But that's how the country is, as country is based on educating individualists, not kind and mindful people.
I think, a lot of problem though is how you approached the person. Words and body language.
Also, quoting another poster, even person with half brain will not be branding others as idiots. With that attitude, it is very easy to have it "written on your forehead" when you approach someone. Resulting in what happened.
Besides, what's wrong with changing routine and do something else, while the "punk" finishes his curls? Instead of working on your heart attack and getting reputation in the gym? He's not gonna be there for more than 3-4 minutes anyway. I suffer from same disease - I prefer to follow my routines and often forget, that I do not own the place, and folks are free to use it as much as I do. So I just go place else and do something else, and then come back.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't really care what you do in the squat rack as long as you don't spend more than 20 minutes doing it.
Exactly. It takes me all of 10 minutes,.. MAYBE to do 3 sets.

Some people just think that since they paid gym dues, the gym belongs to them.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
I do my entire work out in the squat rack. I talk on the phone in the squat rack. I have conversations with other gym members in the squat rack. I'll even bring excercise machines in the squat rack just so I can work out in the squat rack? U mad?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I do my entire work out in the squat rack. I talk on the phone in the squat rack. I have conversations with other gym members in the squat rack. I'll even bring excercise machines in the squat rack just so I can work out in the squat rack? U mad?
LOL!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Especially in my gym, where there is only one squat rack. That means ONE station in the entire gym where serious lifters like myself can do the king of all lifts.
Right when you said this you just come off as a total tool. If you're "such a serious lifter" why don't you go to a "serious" gym with more than one squat rack?

I would venture a guess you spend a ton of time of online forums doing typical strength training programs. You probably haven't even been in it that long, and I would venture a guess that you aren't even that big or that strong...

What's your height, weight, and max on the big 3 lifts? I will venture there will be a lie and then a refusal to post pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness