Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,050,859 times

Advertisements

I belong to Golds Gym. I don't use free weights too much now but the Golds I belong to has a better selection of machines and better quality of equipment overall and has more space to move around than the new Planet Fitness that just opened in my town. PF has a whole lot of cardio equipment but the other machines seem to be a little crowded in along a side wall. Something about the overall vibe of PF is a bit off too. I wish my Golds was a bit more social but PF seemed overly chummy. One thing about Golds is that if you're in need of advice here and there you can ask someone because so many there are serious about their workouts .The members of this PF seemed to be there more to socialize than anything. I am a social person too but its important to me to get a good workout in and have people around that I can ask for advice from time to time. Lastly the staff at PF just seems to be there but I have always found the staff at Golds to be helpful .So the cost for Golds is now about $23 a month and PF is $10 a month.

Last edited by senecaman; 05-23-2016 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:47 PM

29,417 posts, read 22,301,920 times
Since I despise people who unnecessarily slam weights and scream and strut their narcissist selves in the gym, as well as wanna be alpha types, in theory Planet Fitness seems up my alley.

I like to work out quietly and efficiently by myself.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,658,719 times
Planet Fitness is great if you're on a budget, if you want a casual, very laid back workout environment, if you are prone to missing workouts and don't want to feel guilty about it, if you just need a place to do cardio, if you find yourself intimidated by people who are in significantly better shape than you are and if you just want to try out a gym without getting into any long term or expensive commitments.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,195,619 times
Not every PF or Golds is identical to every other PF or Golds, so I have no comment even though I have been to both at different locations. I like them both in general.

I will not join PF as long as it is a judgment free zone. Judging people is a hobby of mine. I actually think up nicknames for people I do not know but I see at the gym on a regular basis... Flatulence guy, tank top chin up guy, smile and stubble guy, the amazon twins, yoga shorts, Vin Diesel, etc...

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,658,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Not every PF or Golds is identical to every other PF or Golds, so I have no comment even though I have been to both at different locations. I like them both in general.

I will not join PF as long as it is a judgment free zone. Judging people is a hobby of mine. I actually think up nicknames for people I do not know but I see at the gym on a regular basis... Flatulence guy, tank top chin up guy, smile and stubble guy, the amazon twins, yoga shorts, Vin Diesel, etc...

Overuse of Ben-Gay guy is one of mine. The strong wafting odor of menthol announces his arrival before he even steps foot on to the gym floor.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:06 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,262,407 times
I had a planet fitness membership circa 2008 or so when a new one opened up in my town right next to my work. It was like $10 a month with no sign up fee and since I previously had a $50 something a month membership to Golds and hardly ever went, I was intrigued. The place was really nice, friendly staff, never too crowded and had plenty of weight lifting equipment for me but I wasn't really a serious weight lifter. I just liked going for 30 mins doing a few quick things and getting out and it was perfect for this.

If I ever join another gym again I would seriously consider planet fitness if one was in my area. Unless you are a super hardcore lifter it should suffice and the price can't be beat.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 AM

719 posts, read 1,050,859 times
I think I am going to give PF a try for a couple of months and see how it goes. One thing that really helps me is that PF is 9 miles closer than Golds. As much as I like Golds I have been busier with work lately and it would make working out easier if I could knock out that extra 18 miles of driving each time I go to the gym.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,252,134 times
My family goes to a local PF and we like it. It's got a good range of equipment - both cardio and weights, and I like the 30-minute circuit workout area as well. The people who work there are friendly, the trainer who is there occasionally is knowledgeable, the place is always immaculately clean, and the people who workout there just do their thing and don't make a big fuss about it.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,318,889 times
Wouldn't go there if you paid me.

They apparently have a free pizza night once a week and I can't imagine working out at a gym that offers this.

Though I suppose if you love pizza the $10 a month fee is a dirt cheap way to eat pizza 4 times a month.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,824,616 times
I belonged to a PF awhile back and it was fine. If it's closer and easier to go to, then so long as the equipment you want isn't always super-crowded, then go for it. Cheaper is a bonus, IMO. And skipping the pizza or whatever is on you and your adherence to diet. That they do it is odd, but not a deal-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness