Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Try changing your diet a little. Add more protein and less carbs. Eat about 5 small meals a day, each with at least 15-20g of protein.

Are you getting stronger in your workouts?
I'll have a look at my food journal to see how best to change it up and add protein.

I find that I am very slowly gaining strength; increased stamina has come on more quickly. For example I used to not be able to do a reverse fly with weights in my hand; now I can do it with 3 lb weights. I can do chest presses with a 20 lb dumbbell in each hand, and a year or so ago I could handle half that amount of weight. I can do over my own body weight on the leg press. I do bicep curls with 10 lb weights; if I go up to 15 I can only do 3-4 before I start to break form and jerk the weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
125 lbs at 5'6???? You're thin. Why would you be trying to lose weight?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I agree that you might be taking in too few calories and sending your body into starvation mode, which actually can cause you to gain weight as oppose to losing it.

You should also switch up your workout routine every 6 weeks, as after a while the same workout will lose it's effectiveness.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM

165 posts, read 405,795 times
I was just implying that the SCM missing should not hold you back. The nerve plexus damage is another issue all together.

As far as intervals, go with the longest time you can do maximal output. Personally, unless you are an elite level sprinter, I feel that 60 seconds is too long for most people to do high intensity intervals. Interval training has its place and can be great, but there is a difference in HIIT and IT.

I always compare the two as sprinter vs middle/long distance runner. Sprinters are usually very lean and carry a considerable amount of muscle mass. Your middle and distance runners are usually lean, but with significantly less muscle mass. You should train with the method you desire to get the body you want. If you want to look like a marathoner, then by all means, train like a marathoner. If you want to look more like a sprinter, then train more like a sprinter. Neither is right/wrong, better/worse. It just depends on your goals.

I have friends that are marathon and ultra-marathon runners. They could not imagine training with the same level of weight lifting and interval training I do (I plan to do an NPC Master's Physique show this year). At the same time, I have no desire to train as they do. It is just all about your goals.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM

165 posts, read 405,795 times
Quote:
You should also switch up your workout routine every 6 weeks, as after a while the same workout will lose it's effectiveness.
I see this all of the time, but I tend to disagree with it to an extent. I do the same workouts until I stop seeing results. I will add weight almost every workout, but I do the same exercises for my workouts. That is, until I stop progressing. When I am unable to add more weight, or I don't see my body growing and responding, I then change it up. That may be 3-4 weeks or 20-30 weeks. I figure if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
125 lbs at 5'6???? You're thin. Why would you be trying to lose weight?
Body fat percentage is too high. I want to lose the chub and lean down. Basically I want to be smaller, leaner, and more defined. If that means the number on the scale goes up instead of down, fine; as long as I feel like I'm at least somewhat in control of the situation.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Body fat percentage is too high. I want to lose the chub and lean down. Basically I want to be smaller, leaner, and more defined. If that means the number on the scale goes up instead of down, fine; as long as I feel like I'm at least somewhat in control of the situation.
If you want to lose fat, watch the carbs in your diet, limit/avoid alcohol. Eat enough calories - otherwise you will lose muscle which is not the goal.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you want to lose fat, watch the carbs in your diet, limit/avoid alcohol. Eat enough calories - otherwise you will lose muscle which is not the goal.
That's just it...what's "enough"?

I don't drink, so it will be easy for me to avoid alcohol. I don't drink my calories.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Make sure you are relying on the tape measure. And not the scale. Take all of the key measurements, and track your progress against that instead.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's just it...what's "enough"?

I don't drink, so it will be easy for me to avoid alcohol. I don't drink my calories.
I think the magic number for carbs is very individual. But in general, you need to really watch grains. Go heavy on the veggies and lean protein.

The more you exercise the more carbs you can have without gaining weight. But even with exercise you'll need to watch them..

Sorry! I know that is very vague. Wish I had a better answer for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness