Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,003,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
That's it?

LOL. I know 17 year old kids who can do that. Come back when you can do that with 500 lbs.

Then we'll talk.
They are probably bringing down the weight far enough to just barely unlock their knees. With proper form those same "kids" would probably struggle to squat 225 for five reps without sharting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,270,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
They are probably bringing down the weight far enough to just barely unlock their knees. With proper form those same "kids" would probably struggle to squat 225 for five reps without sharting.
Either that or the age of steroids has natural performance skewed as underperformance.

If you use steroids, say you use steroids.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,295,656 times
Quote:
Don't be so insecure.

I was kidding.

At the end of the day, nobody cares what anyone can lift. That's what most people don't seem to understand, especially when they are young.

Elite athletics are not healthy.

When it comes down to it, working out should be about improving your longevity. There are ways you can strengthen your muscles and your joints.

The human body was simply not designed to lift an enormous amount of weight on a daily basis. Most people get caught up in their own ego and eventually, usually inevitably, end up injuring themselves in the process.

If you're lucky, it won't be permanent, and God will give you another opportunity to redeem yourself.

Remember, nobody cares what you used to be able to do, so think about why you are doing what you are doing.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,545,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
My best squat was 365 for 7 reps. I weighed 164 at the time. I think a 200 pound guy should be able to do more for sure.

I had a friend that could deadlift 425, he weighed 180 pounds at the time.
That's pretty good.

I mess around with the barbell still on the weekends for fun. I don't think I've tried to pick up more than 315 for 2 or 3 reps with clean form. There are a few other guys at my gym who dead lift and they rarely load up more than 225 I've noticed. The chance for injury goes up exponentially the more weight you try to move.

My squats are pathetic now. I did 405 at 175 lbs senior year of HS but now I'm lucky if I can do clean reps with 225-245 range.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,784,285 times
Quote:
The "kids" at my weight lifting gym are using proper form & lifting twice their body weight, and more.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,823,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
My squats are pathetic now. I did 405 at 175 lbs senior year of HS but now I'm lucky if I can do clean reps with 225-245 range.
Ha I do great on the various leg press machines/sleds, but when I try to do squats with a barbell I couldn't even do 2x45 plates+barbell weight (135 lb?). I guess my squats are SUPER ULTRA pathetic by those standards.

I've been trying to learn perfect form but I don't think I have the flexibility for holding the barbell properly. it hurts my shoulders and wrists pretty bad. Hurts my neck too, maybe I don't have enough development in my traps to hold the bar properly?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,950,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Ha I do great on the various leg press machines/sleds, but when I try to do squats with a barbell I couldn't even do 2x45 plates+barbell weight (135 lb?). I guess my squats are SUPER ULTRA pathetic by those standards.

I've been trying to learn perfect form but I don't think I have the flexibility for holding the barbell properly. it hurts my shoulders and wrists pretty bad. Hurts my neck too, maybe I don't have enough development in my traps to hold the bar properly?
I can relate. I currently press 512 on a seated calf press (3 sets x 30 reps), and 320 (3 sets x 10-15 reps) on a seated leg press, but my barbell squats currently only max at around 135.

I just started using the squat rack a few months ago. Before that, I was doing squats using a fixed 70lb barbell, and lifting it from the floor. The rack has allowed me to use nearly double the weight.

Currently I start with a warm up set at around 95 (including 45lb bar), and just keep adding a little more weight after each set until I complete 5 sets.

set 1: 95 x 10 reps
set 2: 115 x 10 reps
set 3: 125 x 10 reps
set 4: 135 x 10 reps
set 5: 135 x 10 reps

I am seeing my max squat weight go up little by little every week, so I'm definitely getting stronger at squats.

I don't want to attempt to squat too much weight during the first set, because the last time I tried that, my left knee suffered a minor injury, and made it difficult to do squats for the next few days.

A sponge bar sleeve helps to soften the bar against my neck. I've also seen people wrap a towel around the bar when a bar sleeve isn't available.

Once the bar is behind my neck and lifted off the rack, I gradually reposition it before I begin squatting with it.

So you might want to try the above approach of gradually increasing the weight between your first and last sets.

I've been doing this with most of my other weightlifting exercises, and it seems to help with them as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,270,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The "kids" at my weight lifting gym are using proper form & lifting twice their body weight, and more.
I hope not with steroids. It takes a long time to naturally lift heavy weight... I have seen very few exceptions, unless they are using performance enhancing drugs. My only concern is that some people lie when they are asked if they are using performance enhancing drugs, therefore people who do not use feel discouraged and genetically inferior when in reality they are not!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Is this good at a body weight of 200 pounds? This was in my prime when I was 19 until about 26 or so.
If this is true, then yes this is a big squat especially for that age. It also depends on how low you were going, what type of bar you were using. It would be ideal to see a video. Currently I squat 375lbs for one rep all the way down, but if I wanted to I could put on 500lbs and squat half way although I would never recommend that since it is dangerous.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,545,789 times
I don't care I ever hit a big number again, but I'd like to be able to where I can pound out some sets with 315+. (If nothing else because it looks bad ass.) Very few guys in a typical 24 Hour Fitness type gym can be legit with that kind of weight, unless they happen to be the oddball serious power lifter or collegiate athlete who hangs out at the health club on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness